584,846 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Switching to Active probe, and random spindle engagement.

Switching to Active probe, and random spindle engagement.

I am new to Tormachs, but not new to CNC (own a few Haas). A friend of mine bought a 440 and I have been helping him get started. Was calibrating the probe (active), and it said that I need to switch from passive to active in the "Setting Screen". I assume it is refering to the setting tab. I don't see any settings to switch from passive to active. Is there another setting screen I am not seeing? While messing around I hit activate dual boot (or something like that). All of a sudden the computer went to reboot, and the spindle turned on and maxed out. It ripped the cable out of the side of the machine and broke the ceramic probe tip. I am going to assume the spindle isn't suppose to randomly turn on.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Switching to Active probe, and random spindle engagement.

Report that to Tormach, and see the thread in the main part of the forum. The thread is "Warning Pathpilot Upgrade Issue" still on the main page. See the last note posted from Andy G at Tormach, but read the whole thing.

The 440 has some problems with uncommanded spindle engagement. Tormach is aware, but your friend needs to get his specific machine on their radar for a fix (which sounds as if it's going to amount to major hardware replacement).

You'll find that Tormach has great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid_Brass View Post
    I am new to Tormachs, but not new to CNC (own a few Haas). A friend of mine bought a 440 and I have been helping him get started. Was calibrating the probe (active), and it said that I need to switch from passive to active in the "Setting Screen". I assume it is refering to the setting tab. I don't see any settings to switch from passive to active. Is there another setting screen I am not seeing? While messing around I hit activate dual boot (or something like that). All of a sudden the computer went to reboot, and the spindle turned on and maxed out. It ripped the cable out of the side of the machine and broke the ceramic probe tip. I am going to assume the spindle isn't suppose to randomly turn on.

Thanks,
    Dan
    I have an 1100, I never reset the machine until the computer is booted up, my coolant pump comes on uncommanded if the machine is turned on first.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by Solid_Brass View Post
    All of a sudden the computer went to reboot, and the spindle turned on and maxed out. It ripped the cable out of the side of the machine and broke the ceramic probe tip. I am going to assume the spindle isn't suppose to randomly turn on.
    I would contact Tormach and request that they make good on your damaged probe. Tormach is fortunate nobody has grotten hurt yet. This is an industrial accident waiting to happen.

Also please read their safety bulletin that describes how to stop this from happening (having dropbox and using a wifi connection together apparently triggers bad things on the 440 because of a defect in the Leadshine MX3660):
    http://www.tormach.com/uploads/1039/...A_WEB-pdf.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I would contact Tormach and request that they make good on your damaged probe. Tormach is fortunate nobody has grotten hurt yet. This is an industrial accident waiting to happen.

Also please read their safety bulletin that describes how to stop this from happening (having dropbox and using a wifi connection together apparently triggers bad things on the 440 because of a defect in the Leadshine MX3660):
    http://www.tormach.com/uploads/1039/...A_WEB-pdf.html
    I had this problem 2 or 3 times with MACH 3. When I contacted Tormach they told me I should always turn the spindle off with the key switch when I use the probe. Anymore I have gotten in the habit of doing exactly that when I am doing something where I cannot afford for the spindle to turn on unexpectedly.