584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Old Cincom L16, Quick start guide for programming and machine setup.

Old Cincom L16, Quick start guide for programming and machine setup.

Hello my friends;
    We recently bought an old Cincom L16 swiss lathe.
    We know about common CNC lathes programming but this Cincom is killing me.
    I've read the manual and find the problem that the information is not clear.
    I posted the images of the manual pages I'm reading. And the part I need to make, I've also uploaded the program by hand and get alarms "T01 CAN'T CYCLE START 0104".
    Honestly I really know nothing about this machine L16 swiss lathe, but I need to make parts because otherwise the machine is just there, nobody knows how to use it.
    Please guide me to the process for programming and setting tools offsets, I don't understand the pages "MACHINING DATA" "TOOL PATTERN" "CENTER XH" "DIA XV" "LEN Z"

Re: Old Cincom L16, Quick start guide for programming and machine setup.

Hi Roberto,
    Look at this thread for your T01 cant start problem:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...cle-start.html
    or, the manual is here: the alarm is on page 23:
    http://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/...2201(eng)l.pdf

Machining data tells the machine your work piece length, bar size, stickout from the subspindle, and more. It is important to fill in this data accurately as the machine determines positions based off these values.

Tool Pattern: the Mitsubishi control can be set for different tool types, but with the correct tool pattern setting, the machine will behave the same. For example, if you wanted to switch from a standard 80* front turn (insert faces the top of the shank), to a Y axis turn tool (insert faces end of tool) you could just change the tool type and the control automatically offsets the tool the radius of the barstock, and flips the X and Y axis, all in the background. Normally, you dont have to change the tool type often once they're set. stick tools remain relatively constant. The live tools can change depending if you're using a single cross, single face, or triple face live tool.

Center is your Y axis Center height. This value is automatically applied when you call a tool, so if you have -.010 in your Center value to get your tool on center, you do not need to command G0 X.760 Y0 Z-.05. The Y0 is automatically applied when you enter it in your PREP "CENTER" (or "CORE" on newer controls)

Diameter is like tool geometry, but the control looks at the largest DIA value before tool change, goes above the largest diameter, then changes the tool. It can also be used to raise the gang more for a tool with a head on it, like some cutoff tools. On the old L20 I ran, .900" was the standard PREP DIA for turn tools. Live tool DIA depended on the stickout of the tool.

LEN Z is the Z axis tool geometry in PREP. We never used LENGTH (or LONGITUDE on newer controls).

We did update CENTER and DIAMETER values with every setup. Let me know if you have more questions. I have a manual that may be helpful. PM me your email.

Thanks
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Thank you MCImes, I actually input this data on the machine:
    Material OD = 16
    Positioning PT=1
    Machine lenght= 38.15 (35.95mm + 2.2mm tool parting width)
    Tooling patten= 1
    Cut off speed= 2500 rpm.
    I didn't move anything on the other pages, but it still pops the alarms.
    I have a huge headache because I can't actually run the programs.
    Thank you very much for your help, my e-mail is [email protected]
    I attached the last programming I made but it still doesn't run. I reset all tool offsets to zero, just to check what happens, but I just get Alarms.
    Is there any CAD/CAM that post G-Code for a machine that old?

Check to see if the emergency stop (big red button) is not stuck in the emergency position.

Just an observation, on citizen machines both dollar signs are contained in a single program not two separate programs.
    hope that helps

I just looked at the attached program and noticed that you are calling tool t1100 in g821 mode that mode is for the t2100 series tools. I do not know which series of L16 you have but I have attached some info.

Man I got that one!, I have operation and maintenance manuals, would you like me to share them with you? another thing Friends I need help with the DNC upload process.
    We made a cable with the configuration of the following website:
    Mitsubishi 300-500 G-code file transfer or DNC
    BUT
    We don't know the software configuration to download G-codes :idea:
    Nor the process of how to do it.
    Could you please give me a hand?
    Thankyou Guys you are the best. I can share things with you if you need.

Is our cable pin configuration correct?

Here is the IO information that I have.

You don't happen to have the rest of this manual in PDF and or maintenance manual for L16/20? Thanks

Hi guys, i recently bought a used Citizen Cincom L16 on auction and the machine was brought to us without any manuals and without any parameter, so if somebody have parameters for this machine it would be very helpful to us. Sorry for my bad english.

Quote Originally Posted by g-code_junkie View Post
    I just looked at the attached program and noticed that you are calling tool t1100 in g821 mode that mode is for the t2100 series tools. I do not know which series of L16 you have but I have attached some info.
    Hello g-code_junkie,
    Can you share for me all "Precicion Machine Tools Cincom L20" book? I really need it. Thanks all !!