585,744 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > Make spindle more sluggish with VFD to stop more accurately?

Make spindle more sluggish with VFD to stop more accurately?

Hello

I have a proximity switch which the spindle move very slowly and then stops when passing this but the spindle has so low friction that it does not stop relaiably and sometime the timing belt to the motor makes it go backward a little bit after stopping.

So I wonder if I can use DC braking or something to make the spindle a little harder to turn?

Or any other suggestions?

I though about installing a small air cylinder to either press against the spindle to break it or to push in the cylinder so that the spindle stop agains a cam on the spindle but it would be best if it could be solved without any extra equipment :/

Re: Make spindle more sluggish with VFD to stop more accurately?

Quote Originally Posted by civilseal View Post
    Hello

I have a proximity switch which the spindle move very slowly and then stops when passing this but the spindle has so low friction that it does not stop relaiably and sometime the timing belt to the motor makes it go backward a little bit after stopping.

So I wonder if I can use DC braking or something to make the spindle a little harder to turn?

Or any other suggestions?

I though about installing a small air cylinder to either press against the spindle to break it or to push in the cylinder so that the spindle stop agains a cam on the spindle but it would be best if it could be solved without any extra equipment :/
    Yes just slowly adjust the DC braking, you may have to use a braking resistor also if you don't already have one, the VFD will fault out if you set the DC braking to high without it, what VFD drive do you have some are better than others at doing spindle positioning
    Mactec54