584,874 active members*
5,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 16 910111213
    Hi, guys,

We are making THC in China, I'm interested in any kind of THC.

Tks larry
    Fiber laser cutting machine
    http://qlaser.en.alibaba.com/

Fanuc control

Hi
    I'll be operating, in a week or two a Puma 300 LM Lathe with a Fanuc series 21i -TB control.
    I only have conventional machining experience.
    Any recommendation?
    I'm lucky that my work is easy, bosses, pines and nuts, Tolerances? not small than 0.2
    Daviko:drowning:

Servo Encoder Cable

I have recently purchased 3 Used Samsung AC servo motors and drives. The kit came from Korea with the used motor and encoder cable connectors but no cable. The encoders are 11 wire type and require 5 twisted pairs of multistrand and a braided shield in a flexible outer. The the short lenghts still attached to the severed connectors also incorporate a rope core. I need 3 lengths of 2 m. I have been able to source new connectors and pins to make up new encoder cables. I have not been able to find cable locally and most online suppliers want to sell a 30 m roll for hundreds of dollars. Does anyone know of an Australian source of new or used cable that may be suitable for this job? I have pictures of my Knee Mill Conversion Build and the cable stubs here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...8&goto=newpost

Salvaged cable with extra pairs maybe fine and I will pay a fair price to get my build back on track.

Cheers

John

Farnell Australia have that stuff, but it'll take a bit of searching online. They'll sell it by the metre, but it is dear, like $12/m.
    If you can find a paper catalogue, it's in it, with a million other types of cable.
    Are you in Brisbane? There's a Tekcel router service mob there who have it also- no cheaper though.

Lurker for the last 5 years

Ive been a member of the forum for 5 years and been dabbling for quite a bit longer. I'm slowly working on a 3 1/2 * 2 foot machine utilising bits and bobs from various designs anyway G'day
    Nick

Gday everyone

I have just joined this forum as i am interested in building a mult-axis cnc machine I live on the central coast NSW. I used to work as a machinist a long time ago on a Colchester cnc 2000 lathe with fanuc16 otc/otf controller, as well as a multicam router. I look fwd to hearing from anyone, cheers LS

Hey where abouts are you in WA maybe I can help on the Fanuc side

Gday Studley

Thx 4 reply
    I currently live on the central coast of NSW.
    I no longer use the colchester lathe as this was 15 yrs ago, I am now interested in building a small multi-axis cnc mill/router but have no idea what is avaliable here in australia as there appears to be heaps in the usa.
    I am very much a DIY sort of bloke and would like to understand all there is about the servo/stepper drives and how they work along with the computer interface that makes it all happen because when something goes wrong i want to be able to fix it.
    The plans/ kits that are avaliable in the usa base everything on 110V @60hz I dont know how this relates to the axis drives for instance do they use a switched pwr supply for the drives which dosnt matter that much whether the AC input is 240V or 110V?!!! all I know is the motors run on <10 to 40V Dc.
    I had a look at Oately Electronics they have kits for the controllers as well as small steppers but I dont know what power they are and if i could boost the output to handle larger motors without degrading signal clarity from controllers.
    Anyone out there put me on the right track
    Cheers LS

New Member's First Post

G'Day Blokes,

This is my first post on any kind of forum, so please excuse me if I'm jumping into an important conversation.

We run a drill and blast and earthmoving enterprise in Karratha WA. I've always been a keen self taught machinist and we support the business with a small machine shop in town. We mainly knock out emergency parts or do modifications to components using pretty basic manual lathes and universal mills.

We've done okay with the business for a bit, so we have lashed out and just purchased a new Fanuc Alpha-1iD Wire Cut EDM and a Okuma Multus B400 with the 2,000mm bed option.

Unfortunately the Multus is 6 months until delivery, but the wire cut is ex-Melbourne.

We are going to run them with Mastercam so we can do simultaneous 5 axis.

It's a big step up for us and we are going to be on a steep learning curve, so if any of you fellas out there feel like giving advice or generally taking the piss out me, feel free.

There may be another bloke pop up as a new member shortly - Drewgong. He's one of my guys, completely mad and the best fitter I've ever met.

Look forward to having the odd chat!
    Hyena Two-Zero

Hi All , Please forgive me if I've come in at the wrong place I'm a complete novice and have never used a forum. I too have been watching with great interest for some time . and a while back ordered a set of very basic plans from David Steele which use mdf for construction. I'm about to start building a machine and wiill greatly appreciate any advice I can get.

Welcome here, & good luck with them!

good luck

hyena, Step up indeed. I work over east coast ways in a cad cam workshop.
    Rhinocam is our departments default, on 5 and 3 axis machines, with simultaneous 5 axis coming.
    Other departments here are mastercam up to 5 axis, on a wire edm. Reckon i could get you some tutorials, or get some questions answered, for my own sake I am interested in the mastercam pro and/or cons.
    If you got a new version of Mastercam they should also offer you pretty good support.

keep us informed.

Hey guys im from bay of plenty, Newzealand, started work running a Dahlih MCV1500 about 5 months ago, love the work and will be working towards qualifications. i was an exterior plasterer lol but needed to get a carrer i was passionate about. just learning G code/M code and all the rest.

Hi this is my first thread on here, so it's about saying hello to everyone and telling a little about me.
    I have been working in the electronics industry now for about 30 years building prototypes and one off's for company's. I have always taken care of the mechanical side wile engineers design PCB's that I use for there equipment.
    I recently received a modest payout from my ex (scum sucking lawyer took half of it ) and decided to buy the ultimate in man cave toy's, a CNC milling machine.
    First and formost it's a toy, but I can see opertunitys to also make some money from the electronic's industry and my own passion motorcycles.
    Being a COMPLETE NOVICE with a BIG learning curve ahead of me I'm going to need a lot of help from you guys

So what have I gotten (I'm very curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions)
    Optimum (Machtech) BF46 Vario (waiting on delivery from Applied Machinery)

http://www.optimum-machines.com/file...8453_GB_08.pdf

with all the bits to start making things
    Logitrol 7 amp 4 axis CNC System (less 4 motor for now)

Low Cost Industrial CNC 7amp Stepper Systems, Shipping WORLDWIDE

So there you have it, anyone with exerience or suggestions on this I'm all ears.
    John

It's a very good point and I did consider going that way but I decided I wanted brand new equipment that carried back up and warranties.
    I still have to mount the motors, learn Mach3, learn CAD and learn about the machine itself so I have plenty to keep me busy. Add to that the new potential products I will be making and I have a lot to get through before I am profishiant enough to be able to source a 2nd hand machine and Chinease sourced control gear.

threaded rod factory closing very soon

After searching all over the place for ACME or Trapezoidal threaded rods and matching nuts at a sensible price in mild or low carbon steel, I was being told by lots of people who should know better that they are not available anywhere 'ex stock' and are only available on 'special order' and similar nonsense etc...
    Eventually I got a Melbourne phone number to call from a stainless steel threading manufacturer.
    The number was for "M.P. Sinclair Pty. Ltd." at 12 Lens Street, North Coburg 3058 - phone 03 9354 2588, Fax: 9354 6760
    I called and was given a price 'per foot' for whatever I needed - at very reasonable prices indeed!
    I asked if I needed to order it in advance (given the advice I had previously), and was told that eveything I could want was in stock and would be cut off for me in any size up to 12 foot length.....
    Today I went there to pick up a 3 foot length of 3/4"x6TPI and a bronze nut to suit - total price $60
    When I arrived, I found a very old small factory in a small side street in an old industrial pocket area in an old Melbourne suburb. The only open door led me straight into the middle of a machine shop with LOTS of old lathes and milling machines (all 30's 40's and 50's machines or older). OH&S wasn' invented when this place opened 65 years ago.....
    Threaded rods of all kinds and sizes all over the place in huge quantities!
    Three elderly gentlemen were quietly busy messing with machines and doing maintenance.
    Someone asked if I was Joe who who rang last week and told qanother that I was after 3' of right handed mild steel 3/4" threaded ACME and a nut - they remembered me! How nice.
    The older of the three went to a rack and looked expertly at a jumbled mess of threaded rods. I asked if he had a piece with a blank end (3/4" diameter without thread)? Yes, he would find a piece "over there".
    He found one a showed it to me - totally unpreturbed by me walking with him through the place ducking under gantries and squeezing between machines.... how refreshing!
    He found what I was looking for and carried it to a cut off saw. As soon as he had cut it, he spotted a small flaw in the thread shape at one end and said "I think I'll have to give you a discount", if that piece is acceptable...." - it was.
    We got talking, I thanked him for the friendly service and that I admired his machines and promised to come back.
    He then said he was turning 90 on Monday, he was the owner and it was time to close shop for him after 65 years - "the writing is in the wall and I can't reach it any more to wash it off".

So, the place is closing either at Christmas or next June. Another piece of history going.....
    His reduction of stock discount is 50% for any order of 10 length "and better".
    Anyone here needing threaded rod of any kind - call them and get yourself a bargain. I dread to think what happens to it all when the time comes to close shop......

Cheers,
    Joe
    Joe in Aus

G'day

Hi everyone,
    I've been a member here for donkey's years but finally I can legitimately post in this thread seeing as I have just moved back here to Oz after 16 years away. I got a one way ticket and don't plan on going anywhere out of these shores for the moment. Anyway it's great to be back and looking forward to rebuilding my 3 x 2m working area cnc router after 17 years in storage.

regards
    Phil

Hi all, just a quick message that I am holding a CNC BBQ in Cairns Far North Queensland on the 11th of June, details here :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnczon...airns_far.html

If you are interested in CNC then you are welcome, please note that as we are in a regional area we won't have the numbers of machines on display as the Melbourne or Adelaide guys, but still should be worth attending if you like chatting about this kind of stuff.

Feel free to register your interest in that thread if you would like to attend, the more the merrier !

Cheers.

Russell.

Smile

Hi folks. Finally found a page I can write on. Here in South Island NZ, just finished building CNC router. Building it was easy, learning how to use it is a new ball game. No doubt I will learn from my mistakes, ask lots of questions and hopefully be able in time to help some other poor sucker who got dragged into this crazy world

Quote Originally Posted by dashy View Post
    Hi All , Please forgive me if I've come in at the wrong place I'm a complete novice and have never used a forum. I too have been watching with great interest for some time . and a while back ordered a set of very basic plans from David Steele which use mdf for construction. I'm about to start building a machine and wiill greatly appreciate any advice I can get.
    Hi Dashy
    When I built my MDF machine I resized to suit standard shelving sheets. This way I knew two sides at least were going to be parallel
    cheers
    Graham

Page 11 of 16 910111213