584,802 active members*
5,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 16 12311

About the Australian and New Zealand forum

Hi fellow Aussies,
    I was hoping to start a sub forum here for a few reasons.
    Mainly because of our remote distance from the US and UK.

Things we could post in here are lists of local suppiers, ways to meet each other and share ideas, and most importantly we can talk in metric. (he he)

This sub forum is not to be viewed as an us and them forum, it is just a way to easliy know who we are in the main forum.

You could start by posting who you are, and where you are from.

I am from Melbourne Donvale.

Oh and one last thing to remember......

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie,oi, oi oi,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ozflag.gif  

EDIT:

Well things have progressed here rapidly. Within minutes of making an unofficial request for a forum dedicated to Aussies it was created by the admin here. It has been descided to include our New Zealand neighbours too. Since we so close in the world and we have a good trading infrastructure.

So welcome Kiwis

How does it go? Kiwi, Kiwi, Kiwi, oi oi oi ?

PS. I guess this forum is on probation. If we dont use it it will be removed. I urge any reader to alert other Aussies and Kiwis to visit here and make some region related posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nz-flag.jpg  
    Being outside the square !!!

Their you go you ask you shall receive!

How fantastic, thanks very much CNCadmin.

Now all I have to do is make sure I am not the only one in this section.

Originally posted by ynneb

Now all I have to do is make sure I am not the only one in this section.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! lol

ynneb -
    Can we cross the 'Tassie? I know there are a few Kiwis participating on the 'zone too and the same long supply lines too. I'd be interested when I'm downunder, would you let a semi-ExPat Yank lurk? Metric though - that might be tooooo far.
    I'm Jim. When in NZ, I'm on my boat in the beautiful Bay Of Islands - about 3 hours north of Auckland. Next year may be sailing/relocating to OZ. As for now, I fly in/out via RAAF Richmond, then via train to Sydney and on to NZ. Maybe a bit downstream - but would be happy to tip a few and have a bit of a chin-wag when we get there.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Loverly, High seas,
    From memory we still have an ANZAC treaty.
    Why not include our New Zealand neighbours. After all ther are enough of you here stealing our jobs. ( I am not serious about that statement )

Maybe in fairness we can request the forum to be renamed as Australian and New Zealand club house. I think the inclusion of New Zealand is a smart idea because of the regular, easy, and quick trading we do.

Welcome on board High Seas. A chin wag would be great.

Giday mates

This 'downunder' forum is a great idea which should lead to some cool DIY machines in the land of OZ and NZ.

Let me introduce myself.

But before I do I would like to apologise in advance if I carry on too much, its just that CNC machines' are my life, I live and breath them. CNCzone has been a godsend as it has shown me that I'm not alone.

I am lucky enough (or unlucky, sometimes I ask myself what did I do wrong to get here) to work in the industry. I am a CNC service engineer for a local CNC machine tool manufacturer.

I know what your thinking, do we make CNC machines in OZ? Yes we do and they are without doubt the best of their kind in the world. Something that we are very proud of.

I service all aspects of the machine from software to electronics to motors to ballscrews to rails to anything.

When I'm not 'on the road' I'm either repairing the CNC's or servo drives or and other electrical/electronic components or providing technical support for customers or service engineers in far of lands.

I am in the very fortunate position to be able to gather unused/scrapped part to begin my own project.

My plans are for a 4 x 4 foot (sorry I should speak metric) 1200x1200mm router. the Z axis will have 305mm clearance under the gantry. Work on the metal from should start in a few weeks if I'm not sent off to some exotic land to fix another machine.

I'm using a full industrial control with servo drives and an operators panel with MPG and feedrate override pots.

I hope to start its own thread so everyone can enjoy it.
    Although I don't really know if its going to fit the 'home made' credentials.

Anyway I've gone on for too long and I've only just started. I could talk CNC machines all night.

I look forward to hearing from any and all from downunder.

oh, I almost forgot, I'm located in Melbourne.

Thanx

Boros

G'day All...

I'd like to be added to this list..I have a fully fitted hobby w/shop..
    Lathes , mills ,saws and drills. etc. I'm trying to get a forge going and i have the gear to build a small aluminium smelter..I still work full time and can't find enough time in the week to do what I want to..I've just aqquired 5 x 1.8 deg nema 23 steppers and have just ordered 4 kits with mosfet drivers to see if i can work out how to utilise them on a small mill.I live in the " Rust Belt" of OZ, (SA). I look forward to learning all that you fellers know about cnc.. Regards..Croc.

Hey guys I hope you don't mind a (I think ya'll call us Yanks), Yank posting. I have a small request if any of you live near the Lighting Ridge opal mines. I want one of you fellers to run over there and pick me up a perfect 20 -30 ct. black harlequin with 5 colors showing. I could send you a $10 -$20 us for your trouble!

On a real cnc topic though, do any of you know if anyone is grindand polishing opals with cnc?? I am wanting to build a minature all aluminum 5 axis for that and a couple of other purposes but I don't know if anyone has tried this or not. Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

ps if you find any opals like I mentioned for a price like that please buy me three or four!
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Welcome,Boros,CrocDundee,and trurmite.

I look 4ward to meeting you Boros, since you are just around the corner.
    Crocdundee, You come from the engineering state of Oz, with the Hills Hoist originating from there. Although the Victa mower was a pretty good achievment from NSW.

Yes turmite we call all Americans Yanks. Dont you only call southeners yanks? Oh and your cars we call Yanks tanks.(Generally the large old cars, the ones with fins)
    I am not sure if your 10-20 dollars would get us that far. Australia has a land size of 7,686,850 square kilometers ( Dont know what the would be in miles) I am guessing a round trip to Coober Pede ( the popular opal mine) would take about a weeks, driving.
    I would suggest buying your opals from an online dealer.
    I havnt heard about CNC polishing/cutting. Sounds like a good idea though.

Have a look at this online catalouge http://www.opalsdownunder.com.au/catalogue/index.htm
    I agree opals are pretty amazing to look at.

ynneb,

Nope southerner's aren't yanks here. Saying that out in the open here in the south would probably get you fed to the gaters!

I really was kidding about the opal and the money. I can't afford a opal of that size and quality. A solid black like that with no defects would be out of reach of most people on earth. I have a friend who cut and polished the 17th rarest opal in the world and your great country has it on display at least to my last knowledge. Lloyd's of London had it insured for $17,000,000.00
    I'm surprised I could even type that many 0'd!

My brother had the good fortune to travel to Australia last yr with the company he works for and he was totally taken with it. He said the diversity of the land was amazing. Desert to rain forest.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

NZ Jetboat

Is this guy in the group? If not, he should be!

jetboat
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!

turmite

still digging
    x30000 ct though if lucky

hi guys

Hi there,
    just thought I'd post a quick note to introduce myself. I come from Geelong and allthough I dont yet have a CNC set up to speak of I do have intentions of building a CNC router, most probably using EMC to drive it. I do have some servo motors which I picked up second hand in Singapore but I'm still trying with some difficulty to source some schematics and specs for them.
    Cheers
    Splint

Welcome Splint,

Post all the info from the servios and you might get lucky from someone on this forum. Might want to start a new Thread.
    Hager

Hi guys!
    Just popped in to see what you guys are doing. I'm a down under member also, however a bit far to the west, Africa to be exactly, LOL!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

hi
    i am down under in the process of assembling the parts at present
    have got :
    xylotex driver,stepper motors ,24v dc power supply
    thk bearings,
    ball screws,

at present playing around with spindle have a foredom type handpiece looking at flexible drive to run it
    size of mill/engraver approx 20cm*20cm*8cm
    still designing the frame and gantry which will be aluminium
    moving table type,
    great site

ken

Just out of interest, and probably stating the obvious, feel free to start new threads in the Aus,NZ forum. Just incase you thought this sub forum was just a thread only and not a stand alone forum.

It would be good to see lists of suppliers that related to your state.

Or

Articals and pictues of locally built machines.

Lists of Trade shows would be good also.

Any thing you want that is related to our region.

Also if you could list your state and suburb that would make it even better. I actually have already met up with Boris because of this forum. Funny thing that it took a world wide forum for us to meet up and our houses are on the same page of the street directory. What are the chances of that?

Hello all,
    Michael here from Wyndham Vale ( Melbourne's west suburbs).
    I joined the cnczone forum around a week ago and was informed of the aussie branch by ynneb, thanks mate.

I have done a stack of surfing on the web for anything and everything to do with cnc routers and it seemed to me that Australia did not really have much to offer in the way of cnc routers at a hobby level.

Its times like this I wish I was a yank or a pom, there are just so many people into the hobby cncs over there.

Just a bit on myself, I am a fitter and machinist by trade. I started and completed my apprenticeship at the ordnance factory Maribyrnong and from there worked in another heavy engineering place then onto a light engineering joint. cnc machines being part of my normal working life during all the time working as a machinist.

I have been off the tools for the last 3 years and am now an operator in a chemical plant, must admit I miss the cnc machining side of things. I can jump onto a mill or a lathe any time but there is nothing better than writing your own pgm and hitting cyc start.

I am planning on building a router with an operating range of around the 600 x 400 size (3 x 2') mostly cutting out various shapes out of mdf from 3mm to 12mm. A vacuum table is the goal as all the parts I need are to be fully cut out of the sheet and clamping is not an option.

Anyone got a vacuum pump kicking around?

cheers all Michael
    No, Little-Johnny, pomegranate is not a type of English stone.

Page 1 of 16 12311