584,854 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 16 513141516

Re: About the Australian and New Zealand forum

Ozy ozy ozy oi oi oi. Just can't make sense of some on the techno zibber zabber. Guess it comes with exposure. I just want milk that tastes like milk.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFill View Post
    Ozy ozy ozy oi oi oi. Just can't make sense of some on the techno zibber zabber. Guess it comes with exposure. I just want milk that tastes like milk.
    but where Aussies here no milk Beer and prawns mate

Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Enroute user here...and happy with it. Very old retrofitted Esab, converted to Tekcel about 15 years ago.

(Though on rare occasions I've wondered about gutting the machine and putting Geckos and Mach3 in, but generally I've got around the issues, and we plod along. You learn to nurture the machine like an elderly relative!
    )
    Hey Stewey, glad to hear the old beast is still going. I know what you mean about being nice to the old machines, my new router is about 85% complete, has been for about 4 years now haha...while the old clunker still fires up whenever I need it to, churning out whatever I ask it to. One day it will give up the ghost and I will have to get the new one going in a hurry.

Cheers.

Russell.

Hi Russell, it's good to hear you're still kicking!
    This old dinasaur has tried a few more tricks on me - one I've learned is to completely unplug everything if there's a thunder storm - not just the router but the PC as well.
    I've twice come back to find a blown slow-blow fuse on one of the controller boards - which must have been zapped somehow. I know once it copped some zap through the com1 port lead, and somehow I've had induced electrical fields in the air from thunder 4-5 km away leave obvious traces in a 3D file we were routing... despite having some in-line filters in the circuitry.

The bulk of the other problems were solved by fitting new wires & plugs between the drives and the servos. I bought one of those Telstra knock-in insertion tools, and I found that an old electric organ at the dump had the same connector plugs as the router drive boards, so I brought home a little supply of spare plugs!

I really appreciated your assistance when we blew the power transistor on the drive all those years ago.

Tommotek were also very kind, and sent me today, a set of typical PID settings for the next model router after this one, and I was able to compare the relative differences between what I worked out with your help, and what it might have been when it was newer. (which is a big improvement on what it was when we first got it!) The actual files were pretty close to what I ended up with, using just my ears to finally tweak it to get rid of the servo growling.

(If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some extra PID tuning info I have that you might appreciate.)

best wishes,
    Ian

Hi guys, thought I'd just introduce myself. I'm Ben from Canberra, I'm relatively new to CNC stuff, but am currently converting a Bridgeport Series 2A to a CNC system run by a CNC USB Controller Mk2 running CNCdrive DG4S servo drives. Here are a few pics of the setup so far:

Attachment 306656

Attachment 306658

I'm thinking of writing up a build thread, does anyone know where the best area in CNC Zone would be for that kind of thing? (eg. the Australia section or the Bridgeport section etc)

I'll also be selling all of the Heidenhain TNC 155 control gear as well, so if anyone needs anything or knows the best place to sell it let me know!

Cheers,
    Ben

Welcome Ben,

My Knee Mill conversion build is here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-v...05668-cnc.html

There is a Bridgeport/Hardinge Mill forum in the same metal working area.

Let us know when you start your build tread so I can subscribe.

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Hi Russell, it's good to hear you're still kicking!
    This old dinasaur has tried a few more tricks on me - one I've learned is to completely unplug everything if there's a thunder storm - not just the router but the PC as well.
    I've twice come back to find a blown slow-blow fuse on one of the controller boards - which must have been zapped somehow. I know once it copped some zap through the com1 port lead, and somehow I've had induced electrical fields in the air from thunder 4-5 km away leave obvious traces in a 3D file we were routing... despite having some in-line filters in the circuitry.

The bulk of the other problems were solved by fitting new wires & plugs between the drives and the servos. I bought one of those Telstra knock-in insertion tools, and I found that an old electric organ at the dump had the same connector plugs as the router drive boards, so I brought home a little supply of spare plugs!

I really appreciated your assistance when we blew the power transistor on the drive all those years ago.

Tommotek were also very kind, and sent me today, a set of typical PID settings for the next model router after this one, and I was able to compare the relative differences between what I worked out with your help, and what it might have been when it was newer. (which is a big improvement on what it was when we first got it!) The actual files were pretty close to what I ended up with, using just my ears to finally tweak it to get rid of the servo growling.

(If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some extra PID tuning info I have that you might appreciate.)

best wishes,
    Ian
    Hey Ian, yes I am still hanging around like a bad smell.

Lightning can certainly be damaging, even from a distance, had my share of issues from it that’s for sure.

I am currently doing a re-design of the original servo drives on my router, with the possibility of higher power and some upgrades, if it actually works I will most likely release it all as an open source project, since the firmware I am using is open source. Might be handy if you ever decide to do a full retrofit, if the drives work of course...

I also plan to make a servo tuning tool for drives that don't have graphing software built in, hopefully soon after I make the new drives !

Ill send you my email address now, more info can only be a good thing.

Cheers.

Russell.

Does anyone remember a guy somewhere here in Oz that was building either a 5 axis router or a multi-axis wire cutter? I've got a job I want cut in high density EPS. I've done a few searches but haven't found the thread yet and I don't think it was Kodie100. Thanks Phil [email protected]

Does it need to be 5 axis ? I've been doing some patterns for lost foam casting with Extruded Polystyrene (is that the EPS you mean?) Only 3 axis stuff but it machines surprisingly well.

Russell.

Yes, high density expanded polystyrene foam = 28kg/m3 and the job is item (a) 915 x 807 x 267mm high by quantity 2 and item (b) 861 x 800 x 265mm high by quantity 2, so a total of 4 pieces. I just emailed you so I hope your email is still the same. I remember a guy in the States from a carbon fibre composites factory and he always got by okay with his 3 axis router making all sorts of moulds, forms and bucks, etc.
    Phil

Hi,

Mike, from Wellington but haven’t lived there for 20+ years.

Been in in NA, UK, Europe, Asia but heading home in a couple of months for good, to the Waikato.

Done a lot of work on diy CNC and laser machines, including designing from scratch.

My background is electronics, but have a lot of experience in mechanicals.

Hope to set up shop in small-scale manufacturing - either that or a burger van

Hi, don't know if I am reviving an old thread here but hey ho. Have had a 3d printer for a while and having spent too much time in quarantine now I have got myself interested in building a CNC Plasma cutter. Just in the very early stages but struggling to find parts easily in Aus. I live just North of Brisbane in Burpengary. I have a shed full of woodworking equipment but have just recently purchased a TIG welder and would like to do some wood/metal furniture. Too much time cooped up thinking is going to get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoobydale View Post
    I have got myself interested in building a CNC Plasma cutter. Just in the very early stages but struggling to find parts easily in Aus.
    I recently upgraded my plasma cutter, which has a machine torch option, and started thinking about a CNC table, but not sure where to start. I did try contacting a local CNC kit supplier, but never heard back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoobydale View Post
    .... Too much time cooped up thinking is going to get expensive.
    Haha. Consider 2nd hand though... and it depends on the size you're considering. And shed space. I saw a cnc plasma cutter the other day that was portable. A cantilevered double gantry of a sort on a single post.
    You carry it to where the sheet of steel is, position it, and let it run.

We're about 2 hours west of you on the Downs not far from Cooyar. Our router was made by Esab - well known for their cnc plasma cutters. It's 31 years old and still well-built, a relic from the days when there was no such thing as Chinese cheapies. But it's a router with x,y,z. The software has plasma functions as an option - dwell etc, which isn't too different from our laser cutter software - you can set how long an open and close delay is allowed before movement begins and ends.

Good luck with your choices!

I used to drive through Cooyar when I worked out at QGC. Work on the West coast now and have to quarantine for 2 weeks every time I come over. It's costing me a fortune but it's keeping the guys in the local tool shop happy.

Hi from Dubbo in the Central West of NSW. I have just joined and am trying to find another member 'Eric Allan' who is an expert on the Strathclyde EDM Machines but he is not on his old email address anylonger.

If any-one can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all
    I'm Karl ,based in Perth.
    Im trying to get a Hafco BMV90CNC milling machine up and running.

The machine has lost its parameters,any help would be greatly appreciated

I hope I have come to the right place

Quote Originally Posted by kazmero View Post
    Hi all
    I'm Karl ,based in Perth.
    Im trying to get a Hafco BMV90CNC milling machine up and running.

The machine has lost its parameters,any help would be greatly appreciated

I hope I have come to the right place
    Are you sure of the model number? That doesn't return any results.

Does it have a Prototrak MX2 2-channel controller?

Hi Ledaero its a rebadge of an Extron bf4c (Taiwan machine) done by hafco /heerless in Australia.
    it has a heidenhain tnc310 controller,(monochrome display) I will check that hafco model number but is definately
    an extron B4fc as when i pulled the Hafco badge.. it revealed the manufacturer.
    The extron was exported to other countries under a variety of rebadged names .
    I'm actually thinking it may need a controller upgrade as the machine itself is in good nick.

So what is your problem with it? Why does it need a controller upgrade, in your opinion? Is it faulty?

Page 15 of 16 513141516