585,663 active members*
3,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

6090 Chinese CNC Router for cutting aluminium

We are looking at purchasing a 6090 to cut mostly aluminium sheet / plate. The type that has the large steel base, not the benchtop style. At this point the plan is to get a vacuum table and either an ATC or pneumatic manual tool changer.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has bought one and would recommend the company / product that they received. I've noticed some positive reviews for QuickCNC(6100), JCut (6090B) and Omni (generally) and Stepmores (benchtop 60900
    We need a small unit as we have restricted space, but are looking for high precision work for robotics parts. I understand a mill is generally preferred for high precision, but a router provides the flexibility and convenience for other work. The other option I'm considering is a 6060 fixed gantry style machine.

Any thoughts / comments?
    has anyone in Sydney imported one?

Re: 6090 Chinese CNC Router for cutting aluminium

I know you're talking about flexibility for other work, minimal shop space etc but the harsh reality is:

High precision for robotics parts + aluminum ≠ router.

You'll struggle getting 1/1000" on a standard router trying to cut aluminium.

What is the thickness of the aluminum sheet?
    If you want higher precision ,you can choose 6060 cnc router,6060 cnc router moving way is table moved back and forth,its precision is better.

If you like 6090 cnc router,PMI linear rail is good choice.

For cutting aluminum,water sink table is needed.

[email protected] , [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    I know you're talking about flexibility for other work, minimal shop space etc but the harsh reality is:

High precision for robotics parts + aluminum ≠ router.

You'll struggle getting 1/1000" on a standard router trying to cut aluminium.
    I think you'll find Lael's meaning a cnc machine with a spindle vs a mill, not a standard wood router as such.

Also, Lael, tried to reply to you message but your inbox is full.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I get that. And I appreciate that my exposure to the commercial machines (as opposed to stuff like my own OmioCNC / CarvingCNC or the cheap 6040s) is limited. But most of what I read about these small framed machines, even made from steel, suggests that the frames are simply too long and light to afford enough stiffness to keep things tight.

I'm happy enough with my own machine but I'm first in line to admit that I'd struggle to make high precision surfaces on it.

1/1000" is 0.025mm? Actually, that would likely be good enough for what we are doing. I guess high precision may have been the wrong term given the field. Has anyone used a fixed gantry and seen if they offer greater precision?

We are generally cutting 3mm. But would like to be able to cut up to 10mm and are thinking about making aluminium moulds for casting.

dharmic - what machine do you have / are using? What tolerances can it produce consistently?

edit: - yes - talking about a spindle - would love advice on what the best spindle would be if anyone has information / experience

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post

Also, Lael, tried to reply to you message but your inbox is full.

cheers, Ian
    Thanks Ian -cleared some space. Is there a way to increase the 5 message limit?

My machine is an OmioCNC X2200-L.

Aluminium machine with decent linear rails, ball screws etc. I can distort the table by 0.3mm in the Z by leaning on it so you can imagine what it's like with a loaded tool pushing down the work when you're hogging.

With light, fast cuts I think it'll do a fairly reliable 0.1mm or 0.004" but I wouldn't trust it to get much better than that.

Steel frame machines may improve on this to some degree but then you're fighting extra weight. A fixed gantry machine may also improve it but, if you're tight for space, the moving table is going to hurt.

I wouldn't even consider anything less than the behemoth solid frame 6090 for regular aluminium work. The 604x's and similar will do it, but not all that fantasticly, or fast, or regularly that you'd be happy.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

dharmic - so your base etc is all steel, but the gantry and upper bed is all cast aluminium?

Nah, it's all aluminium. Like I said, a steel monster will probably make something of a difference.

6090 Chinese CNC Router for cutting aluminium

I use to have one of the 6040s. My first machine. I did plenty of ali cutting on it, but had to go real slow and easy and had varying results.
    Probably go better with the 6090

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds to me rather like someone dreaming that they can get a silk purse from part of a sow's ear.
    If it was possible, large mills and machining centres would be right off the market.
    My suggestion is to go as cheap as you can, so it does not hurt too much when you have to throw it away.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Sounds to me rather like someone dreaming that they can get a silk purse from part of a sow's ear.
    If it was possible, large mills and machining centres would be right off the market.
    My suggestion is to go as cheap as you can, so it does not hurt too much when you have to throw it away.

Cheers
    Roger
    Are you confusing a 6090 with a 6040 Roger? Which are two entirely different beasts.

The cost difference between a machining centre and a 6090 will be massive, and while not ideal, or even as good as a mill depending on what your doing, a good 6090 model with a misting system will perform more than adequately for what the OP has said they want to achieve.

Having said that, I have a large turret mill, as well as a cnc machine so I don't have to choose between them, but if like the OP I had to, a big CNC machine would offer the most flexibility.

cheers, Ian

Nope, no confusion.
    It has an aluminium extrusion table and thin (so to speak) aluminium sides. The table will flex, and the gantry will flex - when it hits metal. I am sure it is fine for wood and plastic - which is what they advertise it for. I didn't see any mention of machining metal though on the vendor web sites I checked.

I do wonder why 'they' don't produce a version with stronger sides to the gantry. Odd. Even so, it is still an aluminiumextrusion body as far as I can see.

Cheers
    Roger
    PS: yeah, OK, I am biased. I know it.

Nope, no confusion.
    It has an aluminium extrusion table and thin (so to speak) aluminium sides. The table will flex, and the gantry will flex - when it hits metal. I am sure it is fine for wood and plastic - which is what they advertise it for. I didn't see any mention of machining metal though on the vendor web sites I checked.

I do wonder why 'they' don't produce a version with stronger sides to the gantry. Odd. Even so, it is still an aluminiumextrusion body as far as I can see.

Cheers
    Roger
    Ahh, okay, didn't make sense to me as I thought you were meaning the 6090, which is what the OP's original question was about.

The 6040 does fill a niche beautifully, dunno if you have already but take a look at the "local" cnc offering at Carbatec, the "Shark Pro", a plastic machine that last I looked was around the $6-7000 mark!

Makes the 6040 look pretty damn good I reckon! Very good bang for buck.

cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pari View Post
    I use to have one of the 6040s. My first machine. I did plenty of ali cutting on it, but had to go real slow and easy and had varying results.
    Probably go better with the 6090
    Nice - looks like it worked out ok at least on that one. What issues did you have? and what are you using now? did you have a particular brand of 6040?

Nope, no confusion.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Roger,

Appreciate the questioning and skepticism. Definitely trying to get the most bang for the buck and it seems a number of people have bought some routers that ended up being excellent. Of course, it is a router and not a mill, so there will be compromises on precision and speed.

The specs I've received look pretty good. The Aluminium for the cutting bed is extrusion, the gantry is cast aluminium, the frame underneath steel. I need to put all the answers I've gotten into a spreadsheet to compare clearly - but would appreciate any comments / criticisms of the machines I'm looking at - or ideas for improvement if you notice anything that could easily be made better.

Are you running a CNC Router / Mill at the moment? Anything you would recommend?

Actually, I was talking about the 6090, NOT the 6040.
    OK, the frame underneath is steel - but that has zero to do with the sides of the gantry.
    Don't get me wrong: it may be a good ROUTER for timber and plastics.

I am running a machining centre: two spindles, the vertical one works as a mill, the horizontal one works as a lathe. It is much smaller than a router though. Totally different thing.

Cheers
    Roger

The machines look similar at this point:

JCut 6060 - http://www.jcutcnclaser.com/Pro_show.asp?Proid=197
    Stepmores 6060 - ??????

JCut 6090 atc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5grDZVmqSo - can't find the link at the moment - edit: HTTP 404 /sell_wooden_engraving_machine_600mm_900mm_with_ATC .html
    Stepmores 6090 atc - ??????

Page 1 of 4 123