585,604 active members*
3,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

kondia CNC conversion

First of all i would like to say hi as i am a new member to the forum...i came across it just surfing the net trying to find info on conversions for my mill.... When i was younger i ditched many classes in school and was often found in the engineering section machining up parts and peices for my motorcycle and radio controlled cars.The machining i used back then was a bridgport of some description and since then have always wanted to buy my own machine...so recently i bought the mill (as pictured).Its a Kondia FV1 or SB1?that i bought from an old guy who bought the machine new back in 1985 after he retired...it hasnt had much use at all and i bought it for the price of $1800AUD... now i dont know much about mills so the first question i have is,A.Is this a repritable brand machine?B.Not that it matters now but was it a good deal?C.If possible could i convert it to CNC?D.What componants do i need and where are they obtained?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Troy

rgv500, Welcome aboard. If you weren't so young you would fit right in with Adobe Machine (another member) and myself. We crash'em, you fix'em. He brags 'cause he's younger than me. He's only 64, I'm much older @65. I've always liked Kondia but I don't know why. I never had any experience with them. They appear to be good heavy iron. Built in Spain If my memory serves me right. Quite a few European machine castings originate from Spain. AM probably has a better handle on the cnc conversion parts & pieces than I do. Am is on this forum, converting a manual lathe to cnc.
    DZASTR

I just got a slightly older machine that saw some light production work. The ways were scraped and nuts replaced by the guy I got it from for USD2,500. A friend of mine bought one of your vintage that has a powerfeed on the X. He said it was in a light production/toolroom situation and bought it at auction for USD 4,500. from a company that 'went overseas'. I don't know
    the US-AU exchange but it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, especially with such low hours.

I love my machine, it runs great and the finish of the castings is unrivaled by the Taiwanese and even most American machines. I don't have three phase at my house so after my weak static converter packed up I decided to get a Hitachi L200 inverter. I have to say this is an almost must. It gives you huge control over your motor and runs just about right out of the box. Plus while you are tracking down your components, you can have some computer control. I put in a rudimentary Estop system with a switch and a limit switch hooked up to the spindle lock lever so I never turn the damn thing on while locked -der. Anyhow, adding an inverter makes you feel like you are making progress on the conversion.

Since you are in Australia, I would check out rutex drives. ramble ramble.......

Good luck with your conversion, hope all goes well and keep us posted!