585,705 active members*
4,555 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Jewelry design software assistance

Jewelry design software assistance

Not sure if I have the appropriate categorized discussion Forum? Here goes the discussion. Have a capable small mill that is currently set up with a very capable mach3 as controlling software and windows operating system. Require assistance from Our Forum Family that possibly have gone this way as to the appropriate affordable jewelry design software that would be suitable for this capacity.

Looking for a design software that will do simple ring, pendant, engraving designing, etc. The CNC Mill is complete and has 4 axis potential. There are a number of software listed on the Forum. Would like to know what direction I should take from here? BobCAD ART comes to mind for starters but have yet to see any 3d ring designs that were accomplished using it ... however I'm sure there may be other software that some of our members are using that they find works for them. Any an all assistance with this matter would very much be appreciated. Thank you very much for taking the time to assist & discuss this matter. PW

Re: Jewelry design software assistance

What do you consider to be "affordable"? That's a term that means different things to people in different income brackets. What sorts of things do you want to make? You talk about "simple" jewelry items, but that's also a subjective judgement. Are you thinking of organically sculpted designs, or basically geometric ones? Did you need to produce settings for stones, or pave work? Are you planning to make these things in wax and cast them, or mill them directly in metal?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What do you consider to be "affordable"? That's a term that means different things to people in different income brackets. What sorts of things do you want to make? You talk about "simple" jewelry items, but that's also a subjective judgement. Are you thinking of organically sculpted designs, or basically geometric ones? Did you need to produce settings for stones, or pave work? Are you planning to make these things in wax and cast them, or mill them directly in metal?
    Very well than .... at this time looking for a suitable software that is appropriate for someone that is just starting out to get a feel for the software. Not sure how most beginners get started, but I presume that "simple items" are first learned before progressing into the advanced parameters. So inexpensive, affordable software would come first that is user friendly. However, I could very easily have this all wrong and reversed. By that I mean, I should buy expensive user friendly (subjective) software of several hundred or thousands of dollars and struggle to start making the most complex design jewelry. Hope this helps? Thank you for taking the time to assist this SC with this matter! PW

There are starting to be lots of general-purpose CAD programs that are free or cheap: TinkerCAD, Blender, Hexagon, Fusion 360 etc. None of them, though, are specifically concerned with making jewelry. So if you invest a lot of time in learning them, eventually you will outgrow them and need to learn a jewelry-specific program that can do things like lay out pave patterns, bring in accurate faceted stones that match the ones you want to use, generate parametric variations in the designs to handle different sizes or configurations, give you an accurate final weight in silver or gold, that sort of thing. So if you're eventually going to want to do these things, it makes sense to get the best program for your needs and master it a little at a time, working up to more complex projects. If you're unsure about wanting to pursue computer-aided jewelry design at all, then going with a cheap or free program might be the best plan - if you decide it's not for you, then you'll only have lost your time, not your money. But figure on having to start over again with the expensive software once you decide you need it.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

One of the popular Jewelry software is called Jewelsmith, think it is part of Artcam by the company Delcam. It is expensive as I recall but it does some amazing work, check out their website they have videos that show examples of the software making pendants, rings, etc.

Russ

I'd steer clear of any "Art" type package, as those, imo, would be the least appropriate for jewelry work.

If you're not looking for a jewelry specific application, then I'd say Rhino or Fusion 360.
    I've seen very high end jewelry work done with Rhino.

You can download and learn Rhino, but you're limited in the number of saves you can make.
    You can get Fusion 360 for free. And Fusion 360 includes CAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    There are starting to be lots of general-purpose CAD programs that are free or cheap: TinkerCAD, Blender, Hexagon, Fusion 360 etc. None of them, though, are specifically concerned with making jewelry. So if you invest a lot of time in learning them, eventually you will outgrow them and need to learn a jewelry-specific program that can do things like lay out pave patterns, bring in accurate faceted stones that match the ones you want to use, generate parametric variations in the designs to handle different sizes or configurations, give you an accurate final weight in silver or gold, that sort of thing. So if you're eventually going to want to do these things, it makes sense to get the best program for your needs and master it a little at a time, working up to more complex projects. If you're unsure about wanting to pursue computer-aided jewelry design at all, then going with a cheap or free program might be the best plan - if you decide it's not for you, then you'll only have lost your time, not your money. But figure on having to start over again with the expensive software once you decide you need it.
    I appreciate the observations & insight. This has occurred to me somewhat, as you pointed out, in the learning curve of the software. Being a Senior new constituent there is going to be much that I will have to grasp. For example, you mentioned the pursuit of computer-aided jewelry design. How does this work? If I learn to design or put together a ring design, with a general purpose CAD program software will the software actually make the design on the CNC machine? or do I need CAD/CAM software to make the design or pattern or need some other software or cnc component to make the design? I told you that I'm just a novice and have not gotten into the matter . At this point I only have the cnc machine, controller, with 4 axis capability. So far I haven't made any progress with designing or making Anything, as yet!

I understand an appreciate where you're coming from and I agree with you 100%. For me, this will be just a hobby & learning experiment. Mostly confined to simple designing to aid in the making of jewelry & home shop machine projects. AS I think small & work slow at this time of life. Again, thank you very much for some of the free or cheap CAD programs that you mentioned that will probably be more suited for me, at this time. PW USAF 62-66

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd steer clear of any "Art" type package, as those, imo, would be the least appropriate for jewelry work.

If you're not looking for a jewelry specific application, then I'd say Rhino or Fusion 360.
    I've seen very high end jewelry work done with Rhino.

You can download and learn Rhino, but you're limited in the number of saves you can make.
    You can get Fusion 360 for free. And Fusion 360 includes CAM.
    You answered as part of my original posting very nicely. Hadn't been able to get any input concerning the BOBCAD/CAM BobART software or any examples of the jewelry that it can make? Just getting familiar with the Forum. I'm sure if I spent more time searching out the posts, threads in the CAD & CAM sections I'll find more about this. Thank you so very much! PW USAF 62-66

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    One of the popular Jewelry software is called Jewelsmith, think it is part of Artcam by the company Delcam. It is expensive as I recall but it does some amazing work, check out their website they have videos that show examples of the software making pendants, rings, etc.

Russ
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm finding out that you are correct on both accounts. PW USAF 62-66