585,578 active members*
4,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vibratory tumbler comparison

I've been looking at purchasing a vibratory tumbler for my part-time machine shop.
    I've looked at several brands including Burr King, Nova, Topline, and Ray-Tech.
    All of these appear to be good products. However, The Largest Burr King model is much cheaper than the largest models of the other brands.

I believe the Burr-King 200sx is approx. .66 cu ft capacity while the others are approx .75 cu ft. capacity. So, that is probably some of the difference.

However, the cost of the BurrKing 200sx is around $750 while the others range from approx $1100 to nearly $2000. The other models have some minor options that the Burr King doesn't have, but certainly nothing that would justify that kind of a cost difference.

Is the Burr King a good system?
    I'm going to be running this tumbler several days a week, but not everyday.

Are there any other systems that I should be considering?

Vibratory Systems

Hi,

The Burr King 200SX is a nice little system, but you may want to verify if it is the right size for you. What size parts and how many per load are the main items to consider. Also, how much of a burr do you have. If it is just a sharp edge off a CNC machine, no problem. If it is a big hunker of a burr, it will just round it over and not remove it. Burr King can do a test debur for you if you are not sure and let you know what kind of media to use, how many parts per load you can run and send you the part back to show you the results. You can get this kind of service because Burr King is an American Made Machine with full support by the manufacturer (1-800-621-2748). Paul is the fellow in the back that does the test deburring and you can feel free to ask for him. Also, they have a video they can send out that shows all of their vibratory machines and belt grinders in action.

As to price, call Burr King and tell them you want the phone number for the Burr King Rep in your area. Tell that Rep that you are just a small shop and would like some help on the jprice and he will refer you to a distributor who will work with you. That being said, when I sell the Burr King 200SX systems I sell it as follows (List prices being shown)

1 - 20010 200SX Combi Pak including the 200SX ($772), Filter Pak 4000B Filtration System ($651), Stand Pak 5000 Stand with timer ($609)

Pakage sells for $1887 list

You will also need a Vibratory Media Kit.

1 - SK200 with 50# 5/8 x 1/4 AC3S P-20 media, 1 qt. BKS-60 Soap and 1 qt. AR-60 Anti Rust.

Kit sells for $115 list.

I hope that this helps you out. Burr King machines are one of the best machines made. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Sparky John / Burr King Rep for Illinois

I use this model in my shop and it works real well. They sell or you can make a 5 gal. bucket with a Little Giant pump set up off the bottom. You can even send some sample parts to them and they will tell you what media to use and how long to run them.

The bucket and pump come standard with the machine. The downside to that system is that it repumps the unfiltered water back into the bowl and can cause a film to cling to the parts. That is one reason they came up with the 4000 filtration system.

Another method to keep the parts clean is to dump 3 or 4 gallons of water into the bowl towards the end of the vibratory process. This will drain out quickly and will act as a "final rinse" cycle.