585,973 active members*
4,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese air and water cooled spindles question

Chinese air and water cooled spindles question

Please pardon my ignorance but are these round Chinese spindles copied from an old, well regarded manufacturer? If so, can you point me to the company?

Attachment 327620

Re: Chinese air and water cooled spindles question

No replies? BTW, I'm not referring to this specific spindle in the picture but to all the Chinese round spindles of this type. I'm curious about which manufacturer originally designed this type of spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by chmedly View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance but are these round Chinese spindles copied from an old, well regarded manufacturer? If so, can you point me to the company?

Attachment 327620
    Making motors is not exactly rocket science so there is no need to copy. These motors are just simple motors, I don't think there is an "original".

Ok, I'll bite. Can you point me to a reputable manufacturer of this type of spindle?

Thanks!

ASH2000 Guest

Hi

通过我的 m1 note 上的 Tapatalk发言

there are many manufactuers that can make small, high speed er-11/16 spindles.

however if you don't need a super expensive, 60,000 rpm spindle, and if 24,000 rpm is enough (400hz 3 phase, 2 pole motor), then buy a cheap chinease spindle and send the spindle to someone who has all the equipment needed to install super precision bearings, who's run-out has been measured and is matched with the spindle's run-out, to cancel it out. then when they ballance the spindle, and pre-load the bearings correctly (with a pre-load set for the types of loads you intend the spindle to handle) you will get something respectable.

all of the work i just described has to be done anyways by a "reputable" spindle manufacturer, so i'm not sure its worth polishing a turd, but short of the motor burning out, if the mechanical bits can handle the load, i don't see how it wouldn't be worth the effort.--however expect to pay as much just for the bearings as you did the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    there are many manufactuers that can make small, high speed er-11/16 spindles.
    Can you link to a European, Japanese or American manufacturer that makes a round one of 65 or 80mm diameter?

Perhaps I wouldn't need to send a Chinese one to someone to reload the bearings if I bought a decent one to begin with? I just haven't been able to find a manufacturer of the round type other than the Chinese ones.

Thanks!

Can you link to a European, Japanese or American manufacturer that makes a round one of 65 or 80mm diameter?
    I've never seen any that weren't made in China.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Perhaps I wouldn't need to send a Chinese one to someone to reload the bearings if I bought a decent one to begin with? I just haven't been able to find a manufacturer of the round type other than the Chinese ones.

Thanks!
    Fischer / Precise is very well made however you may not be happy with the pricing.

http://shop.fischerspindle.com/epage...s/SC4060-V1002

http://shop.fischerspindle.com/epage...ecise_Spindeln

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

The key to these Chinese spindles is getting one with good bearings. Some use Germany bearings, some use NSK bearings, some use Chinese bearing. Some sellers that advertise they have Germany Bearing inside have been opened by members on cnczone after they failed, and they discovered they actually contained Chinese bearings, so its kind of a crap shoot. Runout is another issue with some of these units, but there is a seller called UngarCNC or something like that on ebay who provides a video of each spindle being checked with a dial indicator. They cost slightly more than those from Chinese ebay sellers but at least they test them before they seller them.

Russ

Runout is another issue with some of these units, but there is a seller called UngarCNC or something like that on ebay who provides a video of each spindle being checked with a dial indicator. They cost slightly more than those from Chinese ebay sellers but at least they test them before they seller them.
    ugracnc.com

I wouldn't say that they are slightly more, but you do know you're getting a quality spindle with a warranty.

2.2kw spindle on Ebay = $149 - $250
    2.2kw spindle at UGRACNC.com = $461
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Agree Gerry,
    I like the fact you get a video of the spindle shipped to you with a video showing run out and they do provide a warranty. Looks like their prices went us from what they used to be a well.

Russ

Thanks!
    HSD is an Italian manufacturer. At least some of their motors are Made in Europe or USA, but like every other manufacturer they probably also have things made in China. This is not necessarily bad, after all, it depends on the QC and not where it is made.

I would not hesitate to buy their products if I could motivate the costs, which I guess is about 5-10x as much as a comparable cheap eBay motor.

Actually, the brand name is from Gerry... he mentioned it on another forum and I looked it up and noticed that they seem to be very high quality spindles. Probably the price matching that quality as well...

There are many on this forum who have bought Chinese Spindles / VFD and are happy but the problem is to find these people and ask where they bought their package from.

“Mr. Chai” from the link below has been approved by some members on this forum including myself and there is a thread on this forum about him. However as far as I remember the thread is related to linear motion items and not spindles. I have dealt with Mr. Chai on a few occasions and I find his service, products and communications excellent.

eBay
    Nicolas

HSD, PSD Columbo, Perske are all quality spindles but you will pay a high price for these spindles. I grabbed a Colombo 7.5 HP years ago that was brand new for $700, it has very well built and has huge bearings and runs off 230V up to 400Hz. I also picked up a Chinese 4KW round spindle ten years ago and it is still running fine, with the matching Chinese VFD. Regardless of what kind of spindle you decided to get they are way better than a standard wood router motor, they have way more power and are way quieter.

Russ

Thanks for the responses. Since I'm not doubting the potential capability of a Chinese spindle, I'd like to steer this back to my original line of questioning. I recognize that these spindles do not represent the pinnacle of engineering and innovation but I do believe that they did require some substantial R&D to develop the initial design. After all, they spin at 24K. Someone had to build a bunch of them out of the cheapest materials possible and check to see which configurations would blow up in a plume of smoke and shrapnel.

And based on my understanding of manufacturing in China, most of these factories that churn this kind of stuff out are focussed on low cost production, not R&D. I don't really want to discuss the merits of copied IP etc but I don't think you can argue that there isn't a cost effectiveness to copying a tried design rather than rolling your own. Given that I haven't found a manufacturer of non-Chinese origin that makes this kind of a spindle (the Precise brand listed above seems to be the closest but still a bit different looking and definitely different specs) it doesn't seem far fetched to think that they originated in China, but by whom? Perhaps they were developed for the manufacturing industry within China?

One reason for seeking this out is to find information about exactly what the original design was designed to achieve and to get info on accurate specifications. The current sources for these spindles don't give me much confidence about the accuracy of the specs. We've read accounts on cnczone of these spindle's claiming to have German or Japanese bearings but are actually faulty claims. Since most of these different brand names of manufacture (on alibaba etc) all have more or less the same specs, I DO assume that the specs were just copied from the original but I've been hoping to see those original specs. But besides the accuracy, there are other specifications I would be interested to see that none of these companies list. To be clear, most of the Chinese companies that I've found who badge these spindles seem to have only been around for a few years. I've heard that many factories in China will rename every few years as a matter or course so these may be made in the same plants over a long period of time but the branding changes. Surely the original company would have staying power? Perhaps there is very little profit in these things so the original company moved on? Even so, shouldn't there be documentation somewhere for them?

I recognize I might be barking up an empty tree but I have to bark at least a little...