585,560 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Max Pull stud Runout??

Max Pull stud Runout??

Wondering how much pull stud runout i can get away with in my new fadal 4020 without damaging drawbar or anything else?. This is my first vmc so money is tight. I bought a bunch of used brand name holders and they are all fairly good, max i found was around 0.007" TIR. But i bought 3 chinese holders to try and one has about 0.019" TIR. Should i toss it or can it be used?

FWIW all 3 chinese holders were a dissapointment, lesson learned lol. One was a facemill holder, and the threaded hole that holds the face mill was drilled WAY oversize. Barely any thread there at all and bolt stripped out during assembly. Tapped it deeper, and with 1.5" of thread enguaged now with a longer bolt its ok. Second holder is an ER32 collet holder which looks great, but this is the one with the pull stud running out a mile. Third one is a 4" long ER16 holder and this one looks great and is machined fine, but the tool i bought was supposed to be a long thin holder to reach into tight spaces and the one they sent me had a huge 2" body with a tiny er16 nut at the end which makes no sense at all.

Re: Max Pull stud Runout??

Its probably fine, the way the draw bar works it kinda has a floater where it holds the tools. Heres a Video of Dave the "D" in Fadal explaining a drawbar. And dave and Larry designed the drawbar in your machine. But once it pulls it up in the into the spindle it does rotate or anything and plus you said its a collet holder so you wont be doing any heavy cutting with it. But once the holder is up in there check the tool holder for run out if your really worried. Heres the Video of Dave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKGChbtDyY