585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Coding > Microsoft Robotics Toolkit..

Microsoft Robotics Toolkit..

i downloaded it a couple weeks ago but haven't had a
    chance to check it out yet, they say it's supposed to be
    rather simple to use .
    it's free for personal use also

I've been looking at MSRS for a while now.

I think If MS gets serious about this, it's going to be huge!

I have a project I'm about to get started on, soon (gotta order some hardware first).

Talking i wonder

i have been thinkin though , microsoft is known for it's
    "unsecure" issues wright, what if a system was hacked
    into that was being run by there software,,,,,,,,humhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by KEYTEEM View Post
    i have been thinkin though , microsoft is known for it's
    "unsecure" issues wright, what if a system was hacked
    into that was being run by there software,,,,,,,,humhhhhh
    No OS is secure (If networked).

If the PC thats running the bot isn't networked to outside (other pc, Net, etc...) I doubt you would have many problems. Just as most folks that run Mach3 here on the zone, I can't remember a time that a security problem was ever posted in the forums.

No connection to the outside = No virus from the outside.

I'm adding a link to a video with a lot of cool info on MSRS.

I suggest that you click the "Full Screen" link, the video streams very good.

Video:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=206574

Microsoft Robotics Developers Studio Example

I am looking for a demonstration or lab that would provide a simple example for driving a servo from MRDS. I could take it from there. I dont want to make a robot walk I just want to position servos. Should be easy right?

Seen any examples?

Ive been using MRDS for about 4 years now at work, its a very nice framework, if you have a dot net background. It competes quite well with ROS features wise, but both need significant amounts of user code to do anything that isnt pedestrian.

The only downside with microsofts approach is that it is quite a heavy framework, there is a lot of stuff to learn before you can write efficient multithreaded code with it. That said the VPL side is there to deal with this perceived weakness (dont really use VPL for my work). Also the other issue is that the sharing features work well when everyone who makes Ultrasounds implements the same base contract in the same way, and this hasnt been taken as far as i would like (community driven contract definitions, enforcement by MS on partner companies).

It has come a long way in the last few years, and there are quite a few partners doing good work with it.

I would recommend you look at RoboRealm (easy to use computer vision, with MRDS interfacing), and SimplySim (3d environments) in particular. Also robotics connection deserve a mention, as they have a (relatively cheap) 2 axis motor drive + sensors board for putting together mobile robots, which has MRDS wrappers.

If you want to get started with the framework, either try using some of the simulated robots, or pick up a robotics connection board / lego robot to play with.

Just bear in mind, this isnt a framework for doing Low-level hard realtime control in, it is higher level then that. You can cludge together PID controllers over it, but your performance will suck, it really comes into its element when you are coordinating lots of sensors, doing mapping, path planning, task scheduling, etc.

Worlddeskpro: I can only comment on the roboticsconnection board, but it has a Servo contract, which you can use to drive hobby servos with the board. If you check their website, they used to have tutorials on how to use the service.

FYI: these automated cars run with MRDS under the hood, which navigates the vehicles around themeparks autonomously with GPS. Its a product developed by Robosoft.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4C1oqdR0t0"]YouTube - Autonomous GPS guided Vehicles in Vulcania[/nomedia]