585,902 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Slant Lathe > Another keyboard and monitor mount option...

Another keyboard and monitor mount option...

Just finished this up a couple days ago it is really working well.

If you are interested in this, you can find this mount on Amazon for $59!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David

Another keyboard and monitor mount option...

Great find! Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking today that I wish the controls were closer. These is a good option. almost worth the $60 just to try.

Any other pictures of the setup?

How sturdy is the setup compared to the OEM arm?

Re: Another keyboard and monitor mount option...

What keyboard are you running?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Thanks - I'm in the market for a keyboard/monitor arm for my upgraded Series 1 mill and this might work out pretty well. It looks like the keyboard and monitor arms are adjustable along the vertical axis which is a nice feature. I really need a wall mount but this might be adaptable.

This Youtube video by the company seems to describe the system pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucd6r9QbHxY

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    What keyboard are you running?
    This one: The Keyboard I am using is this one: https://www.amazon.com/SolidTek-KB-5.../dp/B000HD1CK2 Its working fine with Path Pilot

I can get more pictures for you if you like. I just bolted it to the side of the enclosure and once I ad another 2 bolts I think its going to be plenty sturdy. The closer you get it to a corner the better. Adding a small backing plate would make it even better.

The unit itself is very solid and everything is adjustable. You can tighten each hinge point and you can tilt from side to side including front to back, so its fully adjustable. It works VERY well for the money, I wish I had done this right after I got the lathe now.

David

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks - I'm in the market for a keyboard/monitor arm for my upgraded Series 1 mill and this might work out pretty well. It looks like the keyboard and monitor arms are adjustable along the vertical axis which is a nice feature. I really need a wall mount but this might be adaptable.

This Youtube video by the company seems to describe the system pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucd6r9QbHxY

Thanks for the heads up!
    Mike, this would mount to a wall perfectly. It does have a table clamp, but I'm using the vertical face which already has 6 holes that can be used for mounting on walls or sides of cabinets and have it bolted to the side of the lathe enclosure.

Thanks David. While watching that video more closely I was coming to the same conclusion. It looks like it will bolt just fine to a wall. I ordered on Wednesday after seeing your post and it should arrive tomorrow. You've got to love Amazon service.

I did the Tormach monitor arm thing on my mill & was not happy about it. So here’s what I did for the lathe:

Attachment 334466

using these items:

Harbor Freight roll-away
    Grizzly Tools Maple top
    Newegg monitor stand

You can get the HF roll-away for $319.99 on sale. This brings the total to $404.93
    If you subtract the Tormach monitor arm for $195 the total extra cost is only $209.93 - not too bad... Also, you don’t use the top tool chest from the HF roll-away which you can use elsewhere, give it away to a needy nephew/friend, or sell it!

I used a knock-out punch on the back to bring the keyboard cable out. The monitor stand is bolted through the wood top & cabinet top (an option with this stand). I put a few extra lag bolts from inside the cabinet top into the front of the wood top. I mounted the emergency off on the side. The keyboard USB cable hangs nicely from the rod between the front key lock & rear of the cabinet. I just mad a few loose loops around it then out the back. When not in use I just roll it out-of-the-way next to the lathe.

I am going to add some kind of edge/fence around the wood top to keep drill bits & the likes from rolling off.

For me, having the extra storage for tooling is worth the cost.

+++1 on the HF tool chest. I have my 1100 keyboard sitting on one of those...which are awesome, btw. one of the best tool chests you can buy and the shallow drawers are great for tooling, way better than Craftsman.

I mount my monitors on the wall behind it so it doesn't take up as much workspace.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.