585,987 active members*
4,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Replacing spindle bearings on a D&M 5 CNC Lathe

Replacing spindle bearings on a D&M 5 CNC Lathe

I've been working on replacing the electronics on this little D&M 5 lathe and converting over to Mach 3.

There's a bit of play and a slight "crunchiness" when turning the spindle so I'd like to replace the bearings. Upon removing the drive pulley I was surprised to find that there is no nut on the back side of the spindle to apply any sort of pre-load. There's actually nothing even touching the center race of the rear bearing so I'm not sure what holds the spindle in.

I've attached a few photos of the lathe and the spindle from both ends. The spindle seen here appears to be one piece. Is it just pressed into the bearings?

The front bearing is marked "5205" which looks to be an angular contact bearing. I assume the rear is the same, but I can't see any markings.

Any advice on how to proceed to remove/replace the bearings? And should I attempt to make something to "pull" things together?

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Replacing spindle bearings on a D&M 5 CNC Lathe

I know experience with this particular lathe may be somewhat rare, so can someone at least confirm my belief that there is usually a nut or some sort of retainer on the back side of the spindle?

At minimum I'm thinking I should put a spacer between the pulley and the rear bearing.

Thanks,
    Dave