584,830 active members*
5,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > Buying an older Fanuc WIre EDM and need some advice

Buying an older Fanuc WIre EDM and need some advice

We are looking at getting an older Fanuc Wire EDM to use here at the shop for die repair and things. Nothing major but I can get it so cheap it's hard not to. It is a Fanuc A0? made in about 93-96 I think. The people that have it told me that it will need guides if we do some real close burning with it. I have found the top guide but do far haven't found the bottom one by number. The books call for it to be A290-8101-X764 and /or X 712. I can find those with other numbers besides the 8101 but not that one. Does anyone know if there has been a number change and I"m looking up the wrong one?

Also the battery backup? Is dead. I get errors 316-326-336-346 pulse encoder errors when it is powered up. From what I can read in the books it is probably a battery bad .

I have no experience at all on a Wire EDM but am trying to learn. If we can get the consumables still we will probably get the machine.

Thanks in advance!

s00073055 Guest

Re: Buying an older Fanuc WIre EDM and need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by tlmkr38 View Post
    We are looking at getting an older Fanuc Wire EDM to use here at the shop for die repair and things. Nothing major but I can get it so cheap it's hard not to. It is a Fanuc A0? made in about 93-96 I think. The people that have it told me that it will need guides if we do some real close burning with it. I have found the top guide but do far haven't found the bottom one by number. The books call for it to be A290-8101-X764 and /or X 712. I can find those with other numbers besides the 8101 but not that one. Does anyone know if there has been a number change and I"m looking up the wrong one?

Also the battery backup? Is dead. I get errors 316-326-336-346 pulse encoder errors when it is powered up. From what I can read in the books it is probably a battery bad .

I have no experience at all on a Wire EDM but am trying to learn. If we can get the consumables still we will probably get the machine.

Thanks in advance!

Don't let price be the deciding factor. I bought an old agie edm a few years back and it is still not running after getting close a number of times. Getting errors right away is not a great start if i was buying again i would want to see one working and pay the bit extra for it.

Give methods machine tools a call, they're the main distributor of Fanuc EDM machines and I've always found their service people to be very helpful. I've never asked for a part that they couldn't find. Their number is 978-443-5388

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

We have a Fanuc 1B built 1995 in tip top shape for sale. We are still using it but need to get rid of it to make room for newer machine. It's a 5 axis with a new chiller. See attached PDF for photos and contact info. Price is negotiable; we are letting it go for cheap.