584,830 active members*
5,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach SmartCool

Hi All.

A recent email from Tormach about this weekend's Open House mentioned a new product: SmartCool.

It would be good to hear what any of you attending the open house think of the demo.

For reference, here are the currently working links I've found:

I had also seen a product page for the multi-coolant module but can't find it now.

Thanks!

- John

Re: Tormach SmartCool

Among my questions:
    • How well does this integrate into Fusion360 posts and PathPilot? I imagine that different logic is needed for an endmill (point the stream at the working end) vs. a drill (point the stream near the top of the hole), for example.
    • Mounting options, clearance for the tool changer, any conflicts with other accessories, etc.

Looks like it mounts on the right side of the spindle so out of the way of the ATC.
    The docs say you can program it to aim at the tool tip or Z0 or 'wiggling', via G-codes.

See 37167 - SmartCool
    $595.

Haas calls it Programable Coolant or PCool. And it's $1,595.00.

I've found its a lot easier to hit the work area with a fire hose and not worry about "aiming" :-). You take care of cooling and chip removal at the same time. The "drizzle" method doesn't remove chips very well.

I set up my own system for about $50.00 and it will flush chips away from the part.

Oh cool, how much are the plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Oh cool, how much are the plans?
    $545

I saw it in action a few months ago at their hq. It uses the tool offset to aim. It's not terribly hard to diy in theory but if you take into account your time, the time it would take to dig in Linux CNC/PP to get the offset data, building the proper BOM (if you're like me you will absolutely order things you end up not using), etc, etc... Well it just makes sense to just buy it from them at that point. Given the nature of the people drawn to this kinda field, I fully expect people to try to diy it up though, gotta love it.

It worked as intended when I saw it (it aimed the nozzle correctly) but the coolant flow was pretty anemic (I'd upgrade the pump before springing for it).

I can see how all of these extra bells and whistles might be of some benefit to those among us who use our Tormach machines on some scale of production work but, for those of us who are basically just hobbyists at heart, do we really need to shell out another five-hundred buck for something you can make yourself for 35-bucks.

My coolant setup consist of an old evaporative-cooler pump that I had sitting in my storage room. I extended the impeller shank and legs to reach down into a plastic tub I bought at the HomeDepot. I got the flex-nozzle delivered off of Ebay for two-bucks and change and the plastic hose I had in my stash of junk in my storage room as well. If I'd bought all these components new I believe it would have set me back about thirty-five dollars or there abouts.

Don't get me wrong; I wish I had the expendable income to buy all the cool gadgets that come down the pike but, I've found that I if I put my mind to it, I can build most of the add ons that Tormach and others charge a small fortune for. It's surprisingly easy to simply point that coolant nozzle in the direction where we want the coolant to hit rather than programing it to do the same thing?

At what point do some of these "Convenience" add ons start to diminish in returns? This is like putting a backup camera on a vehicle so you can see what's behind you when moving in reverse. It's cool as heck to have one in terms of bragging rights but the price of adding that feature to your car generally means that the cost to benefit ratio is now where near what the marketing hype would lead us to believe. Regarding the backup camera analogy, I have to ask myself, why don't drivers just turn around and look to see what's behind them. Have we become that lazy? And regarding this SmartCool gadget; why don't we just point our traditional coolant nozzles where we want our coolant to be?

Again, I have to state; I wish I had the money to buy all the latest gadgets that come down the pike but I don't. If you do have that kind of money and you do want one of these SmartCool systems, by all means buy one. It's your money and I have no right to dissuade anyone from pursuing their dreams. That's not what I was trying to do with my reply. I'm simply asking in a long-winded and rambling-on sort of way -WHY?- when simple common sense will achieve the same results.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by Automate-It-All View Post
    ...the coolant flow was pretty anemic (I'd upgrade the pump before springing for it).
    It doesn't come with its own pump. It uses the stock Tormach coolant system, and the flow you get is probably very similar to what you are getting with your current set-up.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    That's not what I was trying to do with my reply. I'm simply asking in a long-winded and rambling-on sort of way -WHY?- when simple common sense will achieve the same results.
    Haven't played with one, so this is just speculating.

The biggest advantage I see is if you have an ATC loaded with multiple tools of different lengths and a long runtime and you want to wander off rather than stand there adjusting the coolant on every toolchange. VMCs with good enclosures you can just blast enough coolant that the inside looks like a dishwasher but I'm guessing most Tormach owners don't do that.

It might also be useful for things like applying a squirt of tapping fluid to a tap during a part program that is otherwise run with an air-blast or some other coolant.

But in general, it's probably one of those 'if you gotta ask' type things..

For many of us the SmartCool is probably not worth buying. If you use an ATC then it would be very useful. If you change tools manually and are using flood coolant then it may not be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    It doesn't come with its own pump. It uses the stock Tormach coolant system, and the flow you get is probably very similar to what you are getting with your current set-up.
    I'm aware of that. What I meant was, if you're going to spring for the SmartCool it would make sense to me to also upgrade your coolant pump as well B/c that's an easy/cheap upgrade and you won't be able to manually put the nozzle right next to cutter, the SmartCool is far enough away that I would definitely want a more powerful flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Automate-It-All View Post
    I saw it in action a few months ago at their hq. It uses the tool offset to aim. It's not terribly hard to diy in theory but if you take into account your time, the time it would take to dig in Linux CNC/PP to get the offset data...
    In this case Tormach has done the hard work so a DIY clone only need to mimic how the EasyCool appears to PP. Does it attached as a USB device? Does anyone have one who could tell us what is inside?

The Smart Cool installation instructions are up at Tormach's website.

Yes, it plugs into a USB port.

One interesting thing is the "for future use" plugs on the control module...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 3.51.51 PM.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	328358
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I got my Smartcool at the Tormach Open house. I installed it tonight. I have not got to cut anything yet but with fog buster installed in it, it tracked the Z0 doing a test cycle. If you run M8P0 it stays on the tool tip.

I hope to play with it more tomorrow evening.
    Chris

Would you be willing to give us a peek inside the unit? Details of what chips are used and perhaps a few photographs?

The unit is sealed, it looks like the case is glued or plastic welded, so I don't think I will be busting it open.

Page 1 of 2 12