584,863 active members*
4,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Big Red Kill Switch, where to get?

I've looked at Jameco, Digikey, American Sci. & Surplus, Herbach and Rademan for a "Big Red Kill Switch."

I'm thinking of something on top of the router you'd slap with your palm.

How'd you handle emergency shutdown?

Where'd you get the switches?

Thanks.
    --
    Dan

Like you always tell me:
    "Find it at www.mcmaster-carr.com."
    where I just found it.

Thank you.
    --
    Dan

Spoke too soon.

My life is not worth $57.96.

What can I get for a buck ten-eighty?
    --
    Dan

Did you check ebay? There's usually quite a few on there for cheap.

Allied Electronics

here :

http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/partlookup.asp

Search for part #804-1500

$22.44 ea. (4ea. instock.)
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nearly all electronics suppliers have this, search for emergency stop

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...413394&Site=US

on ebay, search for e-stop or emergency stop

Jimbo,

Nice 68 Olds cutlass

Had one myself at one time.

Mine had a 6-71 blower on it though.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Princess Auto Parts sells emergency stop switches for about 10CAD$. They are online too. www.princessauto.com

comes with double terminal.. one NO, one NC.

Pedestrian cross walk buttons work great!
    Just paint them red and don't get caught.

Kidding

Seriously I got a couple on ebay and they are great.

Even better get a pull cord switch, like the ones on a bus or along conveyors and install a vinyl covered cable around the whole machine with little pulleys. This way you don't have to dive across the machine to hit it.

I've also found that a foot pedal is very handy for an extra E-stop.

Chris

Mini-lathes use these: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1332

The top red spring-loaded button slides back to open the lid; a slap turns it off.

I thank you all. I'll look them all up.

It's not so much my life as the money my wife has got tied up in "the machine."

I really like Chris's 'pull-cord' idea! I can foresee "ringing it around the machine".

AJ_Mac2001, your post showed me how to solve my problem to ensure that "logic power always starts motor power."
    --
    Dan

Automation Direct for like 11 bucks is where i got mine.

creative just as a safety thing, the switch you linked to is only a momentary switch, you want a switch that requries a intentional delibrate movement to reset. I like the pull cord idea or maybe depending on the use of the router, one of those little door beams that sound a chime

Here is the one I am using:

EPO Switch GCX1131 $9.25

AutomationDirect.com

Mounted it in a little $3 plastic box I got at Radio Shack. Put it close to where you stand. for that matter, you can use more than one if you desire. Ideally, you should never be more than a "hand slap" away.

Nicely made and very reasonably priced. I will post a picture of the completed unit.

Twombo

Dumb questions:

Model: GCX1226-120
    22 mm metal, illuminated, red, 120 Volt AC/DC, 40mm mushroom operator, latch with twist-to-release, 1 N.C. contact block

Questions:
    1. Does this mean I don't need a latching relay? Or, do you always need a latching relay?
    2. If you have only one N.C. contact block, do you just run your hot side of the AC through it? Hit the switch and the power goes off? No other circuits needed?
    3. My Power supply takes 220V (which is really two 110V AC and a ground). Some of the Buttons at automationdirect have stackable contact blocks. I assume that means I could run the 220V through it by having each 110V side go through a single contack block. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help...........Sam

Maybe someone already said this but any electric supply company will have or can get these. They are very common on equipment in manufacturing plants. I've bought bunches of them in the past. Unless you live in a very small town you will have one. Look under electrical suppliers in the yellow pages. Locally we have companies such as Sefco Electric, Irby Electric, Souther Electric, etc. These guys sell wire, conduit, switches, etc. Like I said, if they don't have it they can get it.

BTW, find someone who works in a manufacturing plant and you can probably get one free. My old plant had a boneyard with bunches of control panels on the ground with these in it for salvage.

BTW, do we have a for trade section anywhere? I've got to go see. If not maybe we should consider making a for trade forum. I can get all kinds of junk stuff like this to offer for trade. Manufacturing plants create a steady stream of "junk".

John
    JTB

As I understand it most red panic type buttons in manufacturing simply cut the control power that makes the holding circuit, at least the ones I've used. I'm not the right person to design a holding circuit however so I can't comment further on what you will need. Sorry.

BTW, you could make "friends" with the guy at the electric supply place and get him to help design the circuit. They often get into this kind of stuff and would find a home made CNC "cool". Just a thought.
    JTB

Exclamation

I would always use a latching relay on the motor power supply.

You can't trust a switch to stay off.

Also it's a good idea to have a latch incase of power failure, breaker trip, or utility brownout. You don't want the router to start up again on its own when power is restored.

If you are running 220v you must use a double pole switch. You have 2 hots to switch. If you only switch one pole some of your circuit will still be live! Zap!

The "twist to release" E-stop is just used to add a little more safety to the latching circuit. It's not intended as a replacement for a latch.

Another thing I like to do is use one of the NC poles on the latching relay to discharge the motors capacitors through a large resistor. This may be a good idea if you have a very large capacitor bank. It also in the case of servos prevents them from generating voltage as they spin to a stop.

Chris

DigiKey look at Part# Z1427-ND $28.58 Z1428-ND $34.47
    Mouser Part# 642-A01ES $9.47 I have not used any of them but I found them when looking for a stop switch to use on a router.

Page 1 of 2 12