585,962 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > CNC Plywood product *production assembly* methods - hinges? glue ups?

CNC Plywood product *production assembly* methods - hinges? glue ups?

Hi folks!

I've outsourced CNC plywood cutting before - Got great parts back, the glue up went great, got the desired results.

Now I'm thinking of outsourcing the whole production on a new product (birch or apple ply furniture) and have some questions. I'm hoping to make my product easier and faster to build.

My product will have hinges. Should I recess the hinges in the same cnc router operation? Should I have starter / pilot holes for the screws?

My product will have plywood glued into dadoes in other pieces of plywood. All cut in the same cnc router operation. Is there anything I can do to improve speed and accuracy of glue up? Should I allow small brads to be used to help pin in place during glue drying?

My product will have a clear polyurethane finish. Should I pre-finish sheets, and then touch up edges after CNC? I figure a wipe on finish could be used on raw edges after.

Thanks for any help you could give about post CNC assembly methods!

-Jeff

Re: CNC Plywood product *production assembly* methods - hinges? glue ups?

My product will have hinges. Should I recess the hinges in the same cnc router operation? Should I have starter / pilot holes for the screws?
    As opposed to recessing them in a separate operation? Definitely recess them while cutting them if possible. And yes, pilot holes too. But this can get tricky if you need to change tools and don't have an ATC, as it may take longer on the CNC.
    Is there anything I can do to improve speed and accuracy of glue up?
    Maybe add tenons that go deeper into the dados?

My product will have a clear polyurethane finish. Should I pre-finish sheets, and then touch up edges after CNC? I figure a wipe on finish could be used on raw edges after.
    We do a lot of high production work, and pre-finish whenever possible, as it saves a lot of time and money.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: CNC Plywood product *production assembly* methods - hinges? glue ups?

well placed Mortise and tenons make life quite easy all you need to put them together is a hammer a hunk of scrap wood and glue no clamps needed. if you use half blind you don't see them.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]