585,949 active members*
4,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE
Page 6 of 6 456

Re: NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein_1985 View Post
    keen, have you made the MSDS available for the fluid you are using?

You also mentioned patent pending, any news on the patent, like the number?
    Interesting request..... I'm assuming the place you work at requires MSDS for everything on-site. Also, curious, why the question on patent number? Could take two years or more before an actual patent could be issued.

No skin in this game (other than someone who purchased one of these) but just curious as to your request.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

It is a weird request.
    Unless you want to copy the design?

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

With a join date in 2005 and only 4 posts, he's a very deep lurker. Or extremely shy.

Well, those are the kind of questions that investors ask as well. Hmmm.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Well, those are the kind of questions that investors ask as well. Hmmm.
    Something tells me that investors would not be asking those kind of questions in an open forum...
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Not all investors are smart. Just the good ones.
    Lee

An odd request but not entirely unreasonable. Patent law requires the number to be marked on the product. If the patent is pending then a number has been issued.
    Patent Marking Requirements: Patented Articles Must be Marked as Patented in Order For Patentee to Recover Damages Due to Patent Infringement - FindLaw

Hi Folks.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I want to respect the forum rules, err on the side of caution, and not become entangled in commercial matters in this forum. It is too easy to begin to drift across a line.

I think it is best if I only wear my engineers hat here, and only comment on technical matters.

If you have genuine interest and want to discuss other matters where I need to wear my directors hat, you can send me a PM.

Cheers Cliff

HI Cliff,

We have exchanged a couple of emails back and forth about the ITTP over the last year or so. I had a question and i figured I'd ask it here since others will perhaps benefit from the answer.

I know the ITTP has requirements to be stored in an upright position with the probe facing down to prevent the contact fluid from migrating. I'm in a situation where I am considering purchasing one for a Tormach 1100 that I maintain and use for teaching at my local maker space. Ideally the maker space will have the budget to purchase a probe soon, making this question moot, but I have considered purchasing one myself and bringing it in for use. Assuming it is well packaged and protected from physical damage, would the usual vibrations and jostling from periodic car rides promote contact fluid migration or other damage? I don't have a sense for how viscous the fluid is. Obviously you're shipping them to the US from NZ, which will be a far more harrowing voyage, but I don't know if you're shipping them "dry" to prevent this issue.

Thanks, and cheers!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TangentAudio View Post
    HI Cliff,

We have exchanged a couple of emails back and forth about the ITTP over the last year or so. I had a question and i figured I'd ask it here since others will perhaps benefit from the answer.

I know the ITTP has requirements to be stored in an upright position with the probe facing down to prevent the contact fluid from migrating. I'm in a situation where I am considering purchasing one for a Tormach 1100 that I maintain and use for teaching at my local maker space. Ideally the maker space will have the budget to purchase a probe soon, making this question moot, but I have considered purchasing one myself and bringing it in for use. Assuming it is well packaged and protected from physical damage, would the usual vibrations and jostling from periodic car rides promote contact fluid migration or other damage? I don't have a sense for how viscous the fluid is. Obviously you're shipping them to the US from NZ, which will be a far more harrowing voyage, but I don't know if you're shipping them "dry" to prevent this issue.

Thanks, and cheers!
    Steve
    Hi Steve.

The electrical fluid is a 'gel' that will begin to partially migrate ex gravity 'down hill' over a period of hours.

The probes are shipped with only a coating of the gel and while some excess may migrate, the contacts will remain coated and continue to provide oxidization protection.
    It is only a few minutes work to remove the end cap and top up the contact reservoirs, but then the stylus should really be re dialed in.. so allow 30 minutes for this task.

Yes once the contact reservoirs are topped up the probe should be stored in its upright in use position. When I take one on a car trip I bring it in its wooden block stand.

The ITTP is very tough and jostling will not hurt it. The contacts are immersed in gel inside pockets that contain the jet in the upright position. Usual car vibration will not hurt it.

Cheers Cliff

Happy Holidays Cliff and Friends,

Just inquiring how it looks for the next round of production on the ITTP?

Thanks

Thanks Doug

Sorry I missed your post until now... here is an interim update on the ITTP, at the end of this video.

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeiRGc0eJUA

I received my Hallmark ITTP earlier this week and thought I would share my preliminary results. I am using it on a Tormach 440 and it will be replacing my Haimer. The setup was easier than I anticipated and the best surprise was how easy it was to set the consentricity of the tip as compared to what I go through some times with my Haimer. Also I decided to measure and use the pretravel of my specific unit rather than simply use the published numbers. This too was very straight forward and as i suspected my results showed less ;pretravel that the unit average. That was i was able to set my tip diameter to the specifics of my unit so I had the best opportunity for accuracy and repeatability.
    I am currently running a case that has two halves and each half requires 3 ops to finish. I am running 4 parts at a time using multijple WCS and so you can imagine the time spent setting the WCS on each part for each op. The probe is simply amazing in terms of accuracy and repeatability in setting up these ops. Overall I could not be happier at this point. The time and effort that Cliff put into this parts development really shows. It was well worth the 60 day wait to get my unit. If I can figure out how, I will post a couple picture of how I have the probe setup with my 440. I bought a DIN extension so I can plug it in and have plenty of cord to run it in the front doors. I do not want to leave it inside the enclosure as i want to keep it clean and safely stored.

Overall a great probe.

Thanks for your support guys! Cheers Doug.

This is a long thread now!

Here is an update video with a comparision between a Probe and a 3D Taster.

Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAh_YFhH_V8&t=1034s

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein_1985 View Post
    keen, have you made the MSDS available for the fluid you are using?

You also mentioned patent pending, any news on the patent, like the number?
    https://app.iponz.govt.nz/app/Extra/...11614118054874

Your link just takes me to the New Zealand Intellectual Property home page and searching for "636611614118054874" gives no results. What am I missing?

Hi last two posters - As mentioned I want to respect the forum rules and stick to the technical - and not discuss any matters that are even vaguely commercial.

Send me a PM or email if you want to discuss such matters.

Thanks, Cliff

Page 6 of 6 456