585,758 active members*
4,323 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Need a signal booster to make 3.5v logic 5v

Need a signal booster to make 3.5v logic 5v

I ran into a problem today when testing my new geckodrive 320's and servo motors when I found out my laptops parallel port is using 3.5v and geckodrive 320's are made to run with 5v. Since I can't tell just by looking what/if a breakout board is going to do any level shifting for me I'm stuck =>... be nice if there is a relatively cheap circuit I can craft to accomplish this even if its on a breadboard.

My rather limited electronics knowledge is telling me I may be able to use a regulated voltage source and 555 timers but there must be a better solution. Maybe an opto that can run on 3.5-5v so it would work with both 3.5v and 5v computer parallel ports.

Just had a thought... isn't there a parallel port plug available somewhere that does this using a wall power supply? So I put this plug on my computer than my cable into the plug and voila 5v logic?

Yep, check out basically everything at cnc4pc.com

The breakout boards there take an external 5v supply, and will make all signals 5

i didnt really think about it at the time, but i saw a usb to parallel adapter at wall mart the other day when i went to get a usb to serial adapter to run my machine. I know the voltage at the usb port is 5 volts so its completely possible that it may work for you.
    Lemon Curry??

erase43 - I did a search for these adapters at www.tigerdirect.com they are not very expensive but a search for "usb parallel port" at www.machsupport.com suggests they will not work.

phantomcow2 - A few months ago I purchased a ready made CNC system for my TAIG and had to return it because it would not work. I know now that it is because the designer left out a breakout board with level shifting.

i would use an opto coupler with a 5v supply. The 3.5v would be enough to light the LED and then it would be boosted up to 5v on the output.

Matt

STay clear of the usb-parallel adapters, they won't work at all for bitbanging. Only use is for connecting printers, at least they can help you to free up your real parallel port.

you can use a few 2n3904 transitors to boost the level, it won't be isolated but it's cheap and you can get the parts at Radio Shack.

A 4.7k base resistor and a 470-1k pull up resistor to 5 volts on the collector.
    This would draw about 500uA from the port and deliver 2-5mA at TTL levels.

Aaron

buy a candcnc breakout board and youll be in the goods

www.candcnc.com