585,715 active members*
3,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to forum.

I've always wanted to work with metal, I bought a ShopTask about 10 years ago played with it a little 5 years ago and now I'm going to get going again.

I would like to build little engines for RC planes, nothing fancy yet just single cylinders. I had started a .90 single cylinder flathead 5 years ago I got the crankcase, cylinder, and piston done. It seemed like I worked on the machine as much as my project, now I know the machine is a continuing project.

I just bought a quick change toolpost from HarborFreight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39083

I was surprized to find I don't know how to mount it. I thought it would mount to a T nut in the crosstable, but it just has a flat steel plate. Do I now have to mount the plate to a plate that I bolt down onto the crosstable?

Thanks Rich Border

that center bolt that the top handle is on doenst go all the way thru? I have a similar one on my grizzly, but the center bolt is like you say, and has a t head on the bottom and just slides into a standard slot. odd
    Lemon Curry??

No, it goes to a plate slightly larger than the base, would they want me to discard that? The instructions for it basicly say make sure you have safety glasses on, nothing about the toolpost. I'm not even sure how to use it, I'm assuming you adjust how high the tool is with the screw/nut on the top of the holders.

I can see it's going to take me a while to get up to speed, but I've got the rest of my life to play now. :^)

yeah id take that plate off and see if things look differently from there. If you dont figure it pretty fast, id repost this with the title harbor frieght quick tool post. im sure someone out there has it, but wouldnt know to respond to this post due to its name.
    Lemon Curry??

OK, I'll do that, I just thought of it while I was introducing myself to the forum.

Rich

I think it's intended to mount on a compound slide for a "regular" lathe. They often come with a plate that needs to be machined to fit the compound's T slot. Basically a big flat T nut.

Is it tall enough to work on your machine sitting flat on the table? If it is, there might be a way to modify the existing handle/bolt...not really sure. However, if you need some height, you might be able to fit it to something similar to the original yellow tool post base.

cheers

oh and welcome to the forum!