585,589 active members*
2,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Noise / jarring from stepper at low speed

Noise / jarring from stepper at low speed

I am not greatly familiar with stepper controllers so would like some help. I have a device that rotates a carousel with a stepper motor. If I run it at a quick pace it is smooth and quiet. It is too fast for the application.

If I lower the speed it hammers around making unbelievable noise as the motor pulses on and off. The power is also feeble. When at fast speed it has power and smoothness.

There is some gearing but not enough to run motor quick and produce a slow turn on the carousel.

My question is whether the people who have supplied the hardware have selected the wrong motor or if my stepper controller is not right? I have tried all kinds of power on/off ratios, delays in between each step and no combination is any good, Are the L298N drivers just too basic?

Re: Noise / jarring from stepper at low speed

The L298N drivers are very certainly just too basic. For the ultimate in smoothness, you want a Linistepper driver.

linistepper.com
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Unless I am mistaken the L289N driver will only operate in full step mode which is likely where the noise/jarring you describe is coming from. You should use a microstepping driver for smoother operation and there are many. The linistepper driver mentioned is only for unipolar motors.I didn't see where you mentioned what type motor you have, but I suspect it is probably a bipolar, so the linistepper probably won't work.

Ah yes, good point on the Unipolar... just to translate that: Any motor with 5, 6 or 8 wires can be run Unipolar. Doing that means you will get about half the starting torque, but it will run faster and maintain that torque at higher speeds. If it has only 4 wires, then you can't run unipolar, and your next best bet would be a good microstepping bipolar driver. Like our THB6064AH... ,o) or any of the GeckoDrives... but NOT a TB6560 or TB6600 which are generally not high quality... The TB6600 isn't bad... but the TB6560 is horrible for this application.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

It is 4 wire bipolar motor. Looking at the datasheet it shows a graph starting at 306pps. The application needs to run at about 100pps or less. 57SH56-4AM_400_STEP

I will investigate one of those THB6064AH

Thanks for help