585,973 active members*
4,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question looking for a cheapish laser cutter...

hi,
    i am looking to buy a cheapish laser cutter, for around £500 (preferably cheaper of course, but i might be able to go a little higher if nessicary). it only needs to be able to cut something like 2 - 3mm thick sheet styrene (polystyrene, plasticard, whatever) of A4 (maybe, A3 if possible) sizes. however it has to be quite easy to use and maintain (and, be as reliable as possible!).

can anyone recomend me one?
    thanks in advance!

If you find two at that price, I'll have the other one.
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

i guess, i wont get one for that much by that reply...

i thought that would be enough, as i have seen cheap chinese (or should that be chineese?) 60W laser cutters advertised for $4000 that supposedly can cut 30mm of plastic, i only need to cut 2-3mm thick polystyrene that i am pritty sure can be cut on something less than a 20W cutter.

i could probabally go to £1000, but not more....

thanks in advance, even if this is futile, and sorry for being a n00b.

For an off the shelf cutter you're probably looking at £2000 minimum, but I'm sure a lot of people would say build your own.
    The trouble is for a sealed tube co2 laser,the tube alone will set you back about £400(not sure of the exact figure), then you've got to buy the optics to deliver the beam - generaly zinc selenide lenses plus gold plated mirrors.
    After that comes the hardware to move the beam about, the cnc part of the machine, plus the software to drive it.
    Just adding that up is going to get you into a simillar figure. Lots of satisfaction in doing the construction, but you've got to weigh that against your time, and at the end of it all - what do you actualy want it to do.
    As a hobby tool you've got something special, but if you want to start a small business its got to be a reliable investment.

Your call !
    Regards
    John
    ps 20 watts will cut, but only if the quality of the rest of the machine is up to it, and more power will give better cutting as well as quicker.
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Cheapish Chinese Product??

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnus View Post
    hi,
    i am looking to buy a cheapish laser cutter, for around £500 (preferably cheaper of course, but i might be able to go a little higher if nessicary). it only needs to be able to cut something like 2 - 3mm thick sheet styrene (polystyrene, plasticard, whatever) of A4 (maybe, A3 if possible) sizes. however it has to be quite easy to use and maintain (and, be as reliable as possible!).

can anyone recomend me one?
    thanks in advance!
    If you think you want one of those (Made in China) machines, I would recommend that you read all the posts on CNCZone relating to those lasers. There is a sticky on the laser tubes floating around in the laser forum.

I have read that the laser tubes have a very short life at times. (About 300 hours) Also, I read that one cannot purchase just one laser tube, that a minimun quanity of two must be purchased at a price of about $250-300 US dollars each.

I have heard rumors of some units having intermittant laser output power possibly from the electronics and power supplies.

Read, Read, Read and then see if they will give you an advance return authorization before you purchase.

RedSail company will attend the exhibition is Dubai, welcome every friend who have interest to our show. The time is from Feb 27th to Mar 1st, where you can find our new model.

Guys, there is a company www.sign-machine.com .
    They have a small machine named GS40, for around USD 700 FOB.
    Anyone knows of it ?
    Regards

Since even a 25 watt Chinese laser tube is close to $300 I'd really doubt that you'd get much for $700US in a laser. it would have to be very low power, and small work area with few features.