584,879 active members*
5,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Go Torch Z-AXIS

I was hoping that maybe some one could point me in the right direction. I have a go-torch Z-2 cnc system..... ( I know I know, just upgrade this heap LOL) anyways, I am looking for a replacement z-axis ( stepper ) motor. the one from plasmacam is $300. way to expensive for a Chinese motor.

Re: Go Torch Z-AXIS

Go torchs definitely have a warranty. Make sure to check to see if your part is covered.

Compared to most machines, your replacement costs for parts are really not as bad as other what I have experienced with what other companies charge.

Do you indeed want a cheap Chinese replacement motor? For something like this that is American made, you'll most likely have a really ruff time making this happen, unless your the type of person who enjoys speeding an ungodly amount of time trying to make something like this work (there usually a lot more to it, when you start Frankensteining ANY machine). You'll soon realize that the replacement part cost is actually extraordinarily cheap and it prevents a huge disaster and headache (even if you know what your are doing, you'd have to be pretty ambitious to waste that kind of time on something like this). I look at the same part list as you do, since it is pretty much the same machine (hardware wise) that I use extensive (I admit that I am probably more of a 'heap' than my plasamcam will ever be).. The only difference is that I find the some of the software upgrades are extremely useful and definitely worth the investment for what I do.

Fundamentally, there is no difference in a Go Torch and my really wonderful plasmacam. Even at its most basic level, if you know what you are doing, you can get a lot of work out your basic go torch. The go torch can be customized into a really great machine, just like my DHC2. Granted the go torch machine is inexpensive probably for a reason and primarily appeals those with budget constraints, but definitely can be made sweeter by upgrading to some of the more advanced software thru plasamacam.

In most cases any machine is usually limited by ineptness of its user. This definitely applies to me. When stuff breaks down, I get frustrated easily. That why I tend get my machine everything that it needs from the correct place from the get-go, so I can let it do its job and stay out of its way. Every time I start to thing about skimping on things that I know I shouldn't skimp on, I remind myself what my grand dad use to tell us kids: "what is cheap, usually ends up being expensive", "work smarter not harder" and my personal favorite: "never let your friend borrow your car or your wife".

Good Luck,
    JAG

the motor is a hollow shaft with internal nut - probably not made in usa - probably not easy to find exact match - an approximate match may not be compatible - upgrading (the software) won't change the motor

I'm wondering why the motor would need replacement - is it working at all or did it just die -
    www.signtorch.com

JAG, yes your 100% correct in everything. But the bad thing is that the motor is a china motor to begin with. but I do agree with you and I am the same way. I am new to the CNC world and only been using the Z-2 for about 5 months and I am at the point of needing a lot bigger and more capable machine.

SIGNTORCH, first I would like to thank you for all the awesome DXF files I'm able to get from you!!! Secondly the problem I am having is, the motor goes down but when you go to retract up, it makes a grinding noise as if it is fighting itself. I have taken the shaft out of it, cleaned it, lubed back up and still does it. But now its a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by poketspits View Post
    SIGNTORCH, first I would like to thank you for all the awesome DXF files I'm able to get from you!!! Secondly the problem I am having is, the motor goes down but when you go to retract up, it makes a grinding noise as if it is fighting itself. I have taken the shaft out of it, cleaned it, lubed back up and still does it. But now its a little better.
    you're mighty welcome

I'd think a stepper motor is unlikely to actually be weak in one direction - both directions are identical in every way except for the order in which each coil is energized

make sure the torch lead is not weighing down the Z axis - you can use a bungee cord to help hold it up - I clamped my leads to the top of the carriage motor

Attachment 329382
    www.signtorch.com

Sign torch is one of the very few guys that I know of that has the skills to pull something like this off. He is definitely a 1%er when it comes to stuff like this.

The threading on Z-shaft is very unique and highly custom. Definitely NOT some cheap Chinese off the shelf stuff. If it was Chinese made, you'd be able to find it. ANY and ALL custom manufactured products that have ever been made in China , even under supreme secrecy, gets immediately leaked, replicated and knocked off. This is the nature of how business works in China. However, in the US things are different because we are a more litigious society (even people who spill hot coffee on themselves can sue and be successfull in the US). Since this Zaxis has been a consistent part of plasmacam machine for a while now, I am pretty sure that it is made in the US under very specific requirements, since these is not a single knock off that I can find for it.

In order for that Z-axis to work as effectively and flawlessly as it is on does on my plasmacam, there would also have to be a very well thought and specific voltage requirement that would make all of this mesh out as well as it does. That voltage would have to be a very specific value in order to make the z shaft rotate relative to the to the non-standard threads config on the Z-shaft. This stuff is probably pretty unique to plasmacam's machine. Not something that you can pick up from Ali-express.

Definitely, something that that is way over my grade and gives me an absolute headache thinking about all of the factors involved in order to get a result that you won't regret. I know it seems absolutely crazy...but I am the guy that would buy the darn part the most hassell-free way possible and get back to work. But...to each his own!

yes - to be clear - I wouldn't even attempt to find or hook up a 3rd party stepper motor - an un-exact match probably won't work right and might even damage the control box
    www.signtorch.com