584,837 active members*
4,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Ready mix epoxy granites?

Ready mix epoxy granites?

I can't seem to find any commercially available epoxy granite mixes is this a strictly a diy thing? I only need < 1 cu. ft. Something tried and tested would be good...

Thanks..

Re: Ready mix epoxy granites?

Hi,
    I'm not aware of any ready mixed product. My understanding is that most people mix the epoxy, and then once mixed add the filler.

Some years ago I used an Araldite product, I can't remember the product code, but it was sold as a casting epoxy. It had some sort of inert filler, guessing about 60% by
    volume, you added the hardener and mixed, which was not to difficult and then poured into the mold. The kit was 1L and it cost about $40NZD. It worked really well,
    I was pouring about 500ml at a time....no exotherm and very low gas/void. No mess, no fuss.

Craig

Hi Cayenne - what country are you in? Peter

USA

Hi Cayenne - consider using CSA cement like this.

https://www.ctscement.com/datasheet/...=Professionals

or Cement All. Available at your hardware. Cheaper and stiffer then EG. Do not use Portland Cement (normal cement) 1000's of machines have been made from UHPC over the years....Peter

Rampf makes ready mixes, try using this form https://www.rampf-group.com/en/order-request/

If that doesn't work, email them

hmm, thread was bumped but no new comment

You can purchase the correct formulated epoxy/quartz mis from Castinite – Castinite – Precision Polymer Concrete Castings

Hello Castinite - The quoted modulus for the Fillit is 4500ksi (31GPa) is this in tension, compression or flexure? What test was used to determine this? Peter

Hi all - Just found this on UHPC. Tests done in comp and tension gave Ductal at E~50Gpa. Which is higher than most epoxy mineral casts. Peter

Hi Castinite (I guess its Terry?) By the way, I'm not disputing your mechanical properties. If they are accurate then that's really good. Engineering and cost decisions can then be made confidently and that's all that matters. Most of Castinite castings are large machine parts. Geometry becomes the dominant factor on achieving global machine rigidity so large parts are very stiff. In my sort of machines, small machines and benchtop and a bit larger it's still material modulus sensitive so every 10GPa counts in the things I do... Steel is still king in many cases to achieve target rigidity... then theres the issues of hot casting vs cold casting, then that's followed up by finish machining.... Peter

Hi All - Re: nanodur Here's a good summary of mechanical properties. I'd like to use the E80 material but the company would not supply me the material. I found that they use acoustic methods to determine the modulus which is a very good method. Peter

https://www.durcrete.com/material-characteristics

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - Re: nanodur Here's a good summary of mechanical properties. I'd like to use the E80 material but the company would not supply me the material. I found that they use acoustic methods to determine the modulus which is a very good method. Peter

https://www.durcrete.com/material-characteristics
    45-60GPa This is the normal range, choose ordinary aggregates can be. The key is whether you do post-processing, heating, etc.
    But if you want to reach more than 75GPa,All aggregates should be specially selected, and special attention should be paid to the way of post-treatment, and some pressure storage may be required for a period of time.But at present, no company can complete this value with great certainty, and it requires constant testing and adjustment, and occasionally a few can achieve it, and there is no 100% guarantee that they can achieve this strength.

It's clear why he didn't offer you the E80 80Gpa product? Is there any reason? Why can't it be provided?Why?
    I think the main reason is that "80Gpa" is just lab data and cannot be applied to specific cases. They also don't dare to guarantee that they will be able to achieve this intensity 100%.

So if there is no revolutionary breakthrough in the material, the elastic modulus should not be blindly pursued in the design process of the machine tool, and 50GPa-60Gpa is a good data. If a high modulus of elasticity is pursued with mineral castings, the results will be terrible. Because any material has advantages and disadvantages, we only need to play the advantages of the material well and shield out the shortcomings of the material.