585,741 active members*
4,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Can I add more LED's to CPU front panel?

Can I add more LED's to CPU front panel?

I have a home built CNC router with a PC based controller. I have build a cabinet to house the cpu case my stepper drivers and power supply. I have added a power switch and reset switch and relocated both LED's to a control panel. I would like to keep the LED's in my case working, how can I add another LED to a computer front panel display? I know I can't just hook another up in parallel. Is there an easy way to do this? I know its trivial to not have the LED's illumineated inside my cabinet but I actually have another place I could use the same solution.

Actually, you probably can just hook up another in parallel, kind of..
    Get two that together have the same approximate current draw would be the best way..save the old ones for retrofit later on..
    or just try adding another in parallel and see how much they 'dim' as a a pair, you can get very lower power draw leds currently,
    did a quick check on digikey, 5ma for $0.18, 1.5ma a bit more..most cpu leds that I have looked at [not recently, though] were 20 to 25ma, so a 5ma wouldn't dim the pair very much at all..

enjoy..