585,969 active members*
4,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Peck drilling - the 3 times diameter rule

Peck drilling - the 3 times diameter rule

CNC programming I've always heard to not start peck drilling until you're going deeper than 3 times the diameter of the bit.

But when drilling with a press and a bottle of oil in my left hand I'm constantly bobbing up and down, adding oil, getting the chips out, right from the very start of the hole.

Why is it a bad thing to peck drill on a CNC at shallow depths (with say Aluminium or Steel)?

In fact what is best practice? (when, frequency, depth...)

Re: Peck drilling - the 3 times diameter rule

Quote Originally Posted by maker4444 View Post
    CNC programming I've always heard to not start peck drilling until you're going deeper than 3 times the diameter of the bit.

But when drilling with a press and a bottle of oil in my left hand I'm constantly bobbing up and down, adding oil, getting the chips out, right from the very start of the hole.

Why is it a bad thing to peck drill on a CNC at shallow depths (with say Aluminium or Steel)?

In fact what is best practice? (when, frequency, depth...)
    There is not rule

It is not a bad thing at all, people have some funny ideas about what you should do, I peck on a cnc all the time depending on what i'm cutting, but most times I peck right from the start, tooling lasts longer and I get perfect holes, just finishing up over 4,000 holes that range in size from .078 to .169 these are all pecked right from the start, and all the tooling will do another 20,000 holes at least may be more before I have to replace any of the drills
    Mactec54

Thanks @mactek54

I'll go with your experience on this.

Peck drilling takes longer but breaks the chips. Since on my personal machine I don't have a chip conveyor or auger, I like to have the chips broken to make cleaning easier. Now when I worked wiith a real VMC with a chip conveyor that worked well, it wasn't a big deal and we used G81 unless drilling deep.