584,800 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Pulsar Coolant Leaking & Coolant Pump not Pumping Coolant

Pulsar Coolant Leaking & Coolant Pump not Pumping Coolant

Hi Guys, I've been much busier than expected these past few months so I had not used my Pulsar except for doing the PP tutorials and cutting a little aluminum. This morning I finally got around to filling the coolant drawer with Qualichem 251C and ran a small cut in some aluminum. The pump ran but would not pump any coolant. The second pump for the washdown works great. I did check for any hose blockage and hose looked fine.

Soon after I noticed a small leak at the lower sight glass so I decided to tighten the brass nut a little. Well the nut broke in half. After looking closely at the threaded hole it is clear the threads were cut a enough of an angle to prevent the sight nut to seat square with the wall preventing the o'ring from seating correctly.

So two questions.

1. Does anyone know what may be preventing the pump from pumping coolant?
    2. Any recommendations on how to plug the threaded whole. I've tried using a 16 mm bolt but the o'ring will not seat and it still leaks.

Steve

Re: Pulsar Coolant Leaking & Coolant Pump not Pumping Coolant

Sadly, the sight-glasses are very easily broken. I replaced the ones in my Torus Pro some time back. I removed them, cut a rectangular slot in the sheet metal, and milled a plexiglas cover, with an aluminum "bezel", to replace it, so I can now see the coolant level very easily. It' sealed with a soft rubber gasket, so it doesn't leak a drop.

As for the pump - remove it, and see what's going on. It's nothing more than a small AC motor with a loooong shaft, turning a simple centrifugal impellor. It is very easy to verify that it's turning, and if it's turning, it should be pumping. I believe there is a shear pin connecting the motor to the shaft and impellor.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Ray. This afternoon I'll remove the pump and look check the shear pin.

Steve

Steve I had my wash down pump go bad earlier this year. It would sometimes work and sometimes not. I cleaned it and all but in the end it was just a cheap Chinese piece of junk. I replaced it with a 1/8hp pump (the black one with a metal cage/filter) and it's nicer quality.

I have the torus pro so it does not have a sight glass. It uses a clear vertical tube as a sight glass. Maybe you could install something like that? A good grade of marine sealant would probably take care of your leak if you put it on the 16 mm bolt you mentioned. Mine leaked the first time I put coolant in it. Marine sealant worked for me.

I agree with Ray on the pump. They are pretty easy to find out what is going on. Check to see if the impeller is turning. If it is disconnect your coolant lines and make sure they are clear. Its also possible you coolant could be just a little too low. My bandsaw coolant pump lets me know when its time to add water when it runs but does not pump anything. Also make sure the nozzle is clear. The one on my bandsaw gets fully plugged some times. I can't remember if it is possible to turn the nozzle off. I know mine could be adjusted but I can't remember if I could turn it off fully. Its at the dump now I replaced it with loc-lines.

If all else fails what brianbonedoc said is likely correct.

Tom

Update: The cotter pin (shear pin) was missing. So it was a easy fix. The marine sealant was the ticket to fix the leak.

Brian, what pump are you did you replace the stock pump with? I just might order one to keep on as a spare.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Update: The cotter pin (shear pin) was missing. So it was a easy fix. The marine sealant was the ticket to fix the leak.

Brian, what pump are you did you replace the stock pump with? I just might order one to keep on as a spare.

Steve
    I got this one: SP 8130 Filterable Coolant Pump 1 8HP 130mm 1PH 110 220V | eBay

But it was a pain - apparently I have the old style base where my pumps are in the front of the bottom drawer (I saw your pics and yours are in the back)
    Anyways - I had to notch out a piece of the base to get the pump to fit, also had to drill and tap new mounting holes. It's a nicely built pump though, much nicer than the stock ones.

Thanks Brian. Yes, my pumps are in the back. Real easy to lift the two pumps out of the box then unscrew the pumps from the bracket.

I can't remember if you are using the 4" Novakon vise or not. I want to pick up a few soft jaws, any idea which ones would fit the Novakon 4" vise?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Thanks Brian. Yes, my pumps are in the back. Real easy to lift the two pumps out of the box then unscrew the pumps from the bracket.

I can't remember if you are using the 4" Novakon vise or not. I want to pick up a few soft jaws, any idea which ones would fit the Novakon 4" vise?

Steve
    No I have a crappy 5" chinese vise.

I would check out monster jaws.com