585,708 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Multiple tools on lathe, strategy?

Multiple tools on lathe, strategy?

This may be basic but I haven't seen how to handle multiple tools on the lathe in the training videos. I have some parts to do that will require the use of a left hand and right hand tools plus roughing and finishing. After generating the toolpath for the right hand tool, I need to generate a toolpath for the left hand tool, but only where the right hand tool has missed.

The videos just show using one tool but don't go into handling the unmachined portion left by collision detection. Any recommended strategies on roughing and finishing paths with both right hand and left hand tools?

Thanks!

Roger N

Can you Post a Drawing File? I have an idea of what your asking but need a drawing to be able to answer accurately.

BTW : Please include Material being Machined, Machine Configuration, Machine Brand, and CNC Control your using.

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I attached a dwg file of my Bobcad file. The part is 17-4PH stainless, it is a valve stem. My control is an Anilam Crusader ML if I can get it to work, if not, it may be ran from EMC2 or Mach3.

As you can see, I'll need to run both left hand and right hand tools, plus finish is important on the 7/16" dia. of the stem and the tapered sealing surfaces. So I need a right hand rough, right hand finish, left hand rough, and left hand finish tool path. Bobcad video shows how to do complete parts, and shows collision detection causing parts to not be cut, but they don't show how to change tools and clean up the areas missed by the previous tool.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files