584,830 active members*
5,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Problem plasma cutting circles

Problem plasma cutting circles

Hi new here, using a Swiftcut 4x4 cnc plasma table-Hypertherm 105 machine, I usually cut 1mm-1.2mm ss and 10mm ss, for some reason when i cut a circle in the 10mm ss, I am not getting a clean cut, a little bit is left uncut, so a hammer is needed, very annoying, the table was bought new and has had little use, it cuts thin ss perfectly. any ideas?

Cheers Dave

Re: Problem plasma cutting circles

The stainless steel doesn't cut as "easy" as mild steel. It takes more force. I would run the torch a bit longer past the start point along the profile cut path or, at least, slow down the feed a little in an attempt to give the bottom of the material a chance to catch up and get cut. The thicker the material, the more this would show up.

HTH
    Paul

Hi Paul Thanks for the reply, I think the over burn is set at 2mm, would 3mm be better?

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

I have cut mostly 1.5mm and, like you already know, it cuts fine. I haven't had the opportunity to cut stainless as thick as 10mm, but I would try 3 or 4mm.

Good luck. I would be interested to know what works best.

Paul

Hi Paul I will try it and let you know, I need to cut some flanges out of 10mm ss shortly for a job

Dave

Yes I get that on stainless and even on ms over 10mm but mines only a powermax 45, what I do is add a slowdown rule in sheetcam, around 2.5 seconds before end set feed rate to 50%, overburn doesn't help me at all for that problem, it when you crossover the leadin where the problem is, the arc seems to skip across leaving the tag, slowing down in just the right spot catches it, it takes a little trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerryfisher View Post
    Yes I get that on stainless and even on ms over 10mm but mines only a powermax 45, what I do is add a slowdown rule in sheetcam, around 2.5 seconds before end set feed rate to 50%, overburn doesn't help me at all for that problem, it when you crossover the leadin where the problem is, the arc seems to skip across leaving the tag, slowing down in just the right spot catches it, it takes a little trial and error.
    Hi Thanks for the reply, I have had the table serviced by the manufacturer, the engineer found a fault with one of the printed circuit boards, it cuts like it did when it was new, very happy

Cheers Dave