584,866 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

K40 Laser 8020 Extrusion Rebuilds

Starting a new thread looking for, and showing major rebuilds to the "Generic" K40 laser engravers. A friend gave me a laser engraver to play with, and I quickly realized how simple and how limiting they are. So I decided to build my own using 8020 Q-frame. I know it is very light material to work with, but the K40 is not exactly a feat of robust engineering either. The core parts: laser, power supply, optics, and etc. seem to be ok for light duty work. Dumped all the electronics.

Additionally I decided to have some fun and go with a "Steam Punk" look, using oak, bamboo, brass, and analog gauges. Still a long way to go, it moves under Mach3, but I have not decided on a CO2 tube or solid state. I think a laser tube would look real cool upfront under the amp gauge and circulating green coolant. And yes I do plan on making some type of laser safe enclosure, just haven't got that far yet. Excuse the wiring, I am still "prototyping".
    Attachment 298152Attachment 298154Attachment 298156

Re: K40 Laser 8020 Extrusion Rebuilds

Looks to be put together nicely. What's the travel?
    I don't recognize the controller card but the stepper drivers looks to be from Vexta maybe. What kind of linear rails did you use? Many questions but I really like seeing good hardware being put together.

Your way ahead of my build.

Thank you for the compliment, it is amazing how much thought you can put into a design while you are waiting additional funding. Also this site has helped me solve so many roadblocks, I design from the shoulders of giants.

The travel is just over 600x450, that was one of my dislikes for the K40, limited travel. Good eye on the Vexta drivers (5-phase) way over kill for this project, they were left overs from a paying project several years ago. The control PCB is a AKZ250 USB, first time I have used one, not disappointed. (only about 1hr ops though). The LMs are HI-wins, also first time use, not bad, but definitely not THKs or NSKs. Don't sweat the build times, these things come in bursts. After about 6mo this one is slowing down till I decide which type of laser to go with (and $$). Keep everyone posted on your progress.

My problem is time, I work 7 days so it's tough to spend time in the workshop. If I do, it's usually some other project that needs done for someone else. It will get done eventually.

That's cool. I'll be keeping an eye on your build. Planning one myself and learning what I need for tube and optics.

Just a quick update/question. My build here has stalled because I still cannot decide on what type of laser to use. I like the simplicity of a solid state laser, but the more i study, the more i think I should use a 40w+ CO2. Which poses a problem, the only CO2 lasers I can find have tubes that are greater then 700mm in length, while the width of my entire machine (backplane) is only 650mm. Does anyone out there know where I can get a "short" tube CO2 laser for a good price?

K40 Laser 8020 Extrusion Rebuilds

What others have done when upgrading to a more powerful/longer laser tube is to pop a hole in the side of the machine case. Then build a box to cover the section sticking out. Lightobjects even sells the extension boxes in metal.

A shorter tube will be less wattage. After using a "40 watt", I wouldn't want to use a less powerful laser.

The 40w 700mm tubes are actually more like 30w 40w peak and running at 40w do not last very long. Easy to get a 20/30w tube to fit but don't expect to cut up anything over 3mm ply and that may take a couple of passes, if your going Co2 and want a useable machine your going to be adding an extension to at least 800mm and that will be low on power.

Wow it has been a long time. After over nine months, I have finally gotten my laser project to a functional condition. You will notice it has some similarities to my initial attempt, but it is far from the same machine. I was disappointed with the size and precision of my initial build, so i scrapped the liner bearings and guides for Open Build V-groove linear rails and gantry system. Definitely a much more robust product. Still have a lot of work to do, but I can start making things with it. BTW, my first attempt at posting a video, enjoy.
    Attachment 333186 Attachment 333188 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNCz3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	333190
    https://youtu.be/I5nAWi8t-xo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0909162127a.jpg   0909162128.jpg