585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Notepad G code?

Hi,

I have been manually inputting my g code programs on my Fanuc OT control now for about 8 months and I was wondering if there was a way I can use something as simple as notepad or wordpad to write the programs in and then transfer them to the machine? I have a cable with a usb serial adapter one end and the relevant fanuc connection the other.

I just dont know how to transfer the stuff any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Francis

FVF Custom Drums
    www.fvfdrums.co.uk

This question has come up many times before, you need to look in the appropriate forum http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    You can use wordpad etc, as long as the file is in TXT or ascii format, I would use a three wire cable from the serial adaptor to the Fanuc.
    You need however a modem or communication program, there are several available, Dan Fritz has one or you can go to the Cadem site and check all the parameters you need to set.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by disinformation View Post
    Hi,

I have been manually inputting my g code programs on my Fanuc OT control now for about 8 months and I was wondering if there was a way I can use something as simple as notepad or wordpad to write the programs in and then transfer them to the machine? I have a cable with a usb serial adapter one end and the relevant fanuc connection the other.

Thanks

Francis

FVF Custom Drums
    www.fvfdrums.co.uk
    I use Notepad and Wordpad to create and edit all my g-code which runs under TurboCNC 4.0.

The above programs are just text editors and should work fine for creating the g-code.

As for transfering the files to the machine..... I cannot help you there.

Jerry

We have used a shareware program called cnccomm for a few years. Easy to use, easy to set up.
    I will pm info to you.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by disinformation View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Francis

FVF Custom Drums
    www.fvfdrums.co.uk
    Here is a Good Software written by Dan Fritz here on CNC Zone.

http://www.sub-soft.com/dncplus.htm
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Francis,

Actually, you can use the hyperterminal program that comes with Windows to send and receive programs. It's primitive, but it does work.

In another thread people have been talking about NCPlot for editing gcode. Cool thing is you can see the toolpaths drawn next to the gcode you are entering. It seems to have serial communication ability. They have an intro price going until March. Looks like pretty good software.

http://www.ncplot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    In another thread people have been talking about NCPlot for editing gcode. Cool thing is you can see the toolpaths drawn next to the gcode you are entering. It seems to have serial communication ability. They have an intro price going until March. Looks like pretty good software.

http://www.ncplot.com/
    The intro price is $75.00. I just got my first one. It has DNC Capabilities.

Cheers!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Editor

You can also use the Predator CNC Editor Lite to create, edit, print and save Gcode. The cost is nothing and is the same Editor that is included inside of Virtual Gibbs.

Go to our website and click on "SPECIALS" to get the license info and software.

If you want communications, you can upgrade to the Xpress Version for $250.00 and get many more features.

Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations

Quote Originally Posted by gm3211 View Post
    You can also use the Predator CNC Editor Lite to create, edit, print and save Gcode. The cost is nothing and is the same Editor that is included inside of Virtual Gibbs.

Go to our website and click on "SPECIALS" to get the license info and software.

If you want communications, you can upgrade to the Xpress Version for $250.00 and get many more features.

Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations
    Did you say FREE!!!!!!! I'll have to check that out. Thanks!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I use notepad on all hand written programs and EZ link software to communicate to Fanuc simlpe and free if ya want it to try toby give me a pm and I'll send it to you.
    Just another chip in the pile.
    aaron

Quote Originally Posted by notallhere View Post
    I use notepad on all hand written programs and EZ link software to communicate to Fanuc simlpe and free if ya want it to try toby give me a pm and I'll send it to you.
    Thanks for the offer but I have 3 at the moment. BobCAD, NC Plot, and and Old DOS EDI. Between the three there is never a problem. Maybe you can post this for other CNC Programmers that want a Free Communications Software.

BTW: welcome to CNC Zone!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Im sure there is somewere i can post this but not sure were to put it it is a small file but dont want to post if it is not the place for it so let me know Toby if there is somewere i can upload it here.

Thanks for the welcome
    Just another chip in the pile.
    aaron

I have used Norton commander on older computers that ran DOS and win3.11. There is a freeware analog called "Midnight Commander" that runs in DOS and I bet windows now, all they are fancied up DOS shells.

One nice thing about them is many can be setup to PRINT to a serial port(configuire for an ascii printer), which you can hook to your cnc, so you can open a file,look at it, and edit it, then hit a function key and pump it into the cnc. If you do most writing and edit on the PC you will actually have very little need to ever pull a program back OUT of the cnc, it is faster to just do the edit on the PC and pump the program in again for most things IMHO.

Bill

070219-1805 EST USA

disinformation:

There are many USB to RS232 adapters that will not work sucessfully for CNC communication. The primary problem is probably in their software drivers.

Why are so many people that are likely to use RS232 communication buying computers without an hardware RS232 port? If you have desktop you can probably install an RS232 board. There apparently are still some laptops available with hardware RS232.

When I text edit under Windows I tend to use Wordpad. Using Wordpad you probably want to save files as Text Document - MS DOS Format .

One Caveat.....I used Wordpad and got into trouble, seems there are some hidden characters that show up in the file that some controllers don't like. So be careful when first using any ole text editor until you're sure your control will eat what you feed it.

It doesn't seem to happen with Notepad.

070219-2053 EST USA

I believe that under Wordpad when you save as MS DOS Format that all formating functions are removed. I have processed several hundred thousand byte files with no problems.

If I am really editing a file to any extent I use Xywrite under DOS from the early 1980s. It is for the most part easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    One Caveat.....I used Wordpad and got into trouble, seems there are some hidden characters that show up in the file that some controllers don't like. So be careful when first using any ole text editor until you're sure your control will eat what you feed it.

It doesn't seem to happen with Notepad.
    When using WordPad you need to save as a TEXT (*.txt) file or you get the weird charactors. Saving as txt removes those so the machine control will eat everything you feed it. I like WordPad because it has better editing options like "Find and Change to" and quick Icons too.

Cheers!!!!:cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    When using WordPad you need to save as a TEXT (*.txt) file or you get the weird charactors.
    AHHA!!!
    That explains why everytime I saved a file as *.html I got a smiley face engraved next to every hole!!!

(btw, it was on an AHHA retrofit I built that I learned about imbedded characters!!)

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    AHHA!!!
    That explains why everytime I saved a file as *.html I got a smiley face engraved next to every hole!!!

(btw, it was on an AHHA retrofit I built that I learned about imbedded characters!!)

I have a DOS Editor called EDI from G-Zero by Rapid Output. That is the G-Code Editor that got me interested in CAD/CAM. It actually shows those hidden Charactors in the Text. It is very interesting to see these. Some of them can't even be replicated with your keyboard LOL

I'll open the dusty old Lap Top and show a screen shot later. Its Weird Stuff
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12