584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF-3 Spindle Orientation Help

Haas VF-3 Spindle Orientation Help

So our 1994 Haas VF-3 recently started clamping tools at the wrong spindle orientation, which is very bad because the spindle taper has protruding drive dogs that are supposed to index on the toolholder. Clamping out of proper orientation makes the tools stick out an extra 1/2", spin, vibrate, and do all sorts of bad things. From reading the service manual, it sounds like the machine not being able to consistently stop at its home orientation is caused by a worn out shot pin that locks orientation at the home position, but actually clamping in the wrong position without throwing a spindle orientation error seems like something that would be caused by an encoder ring being loose.

My question has to do with a motor / gearbox replacement that was performed a year ago (but only about 500 machine hours ago). These encoder and shot pin components are swapped over to the new motor / gearbox from the old one during this procedure. Does it seem more likely for the cause of my problem to be simply worn out components or improper installation by the technicians who did the motor / gearbox swap? We now need to get the spindle replaced due to some damage caused to the taper and drawbar by a spun tool, but are unsure whether we can trust the same company to do this work if they may have installed the encoder assemblies improperly before.

Any help trying to sort through this issue will be greatly appreciated. Also, any general information on how the machine verifies its home position when performing a tool change would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Re: Haas VF-3 Spindle Orientation Help

Quote Originally Posted by cab8bf View Post
    So our 1994 Haas VF-3 recently started clamping tools at the wrong spindle orientation, which is very bad because the spindle taper has protruding drive dogs that are supposed to index on the toolholder. Clamping out of proper orientation makes the tools stick out an extra 1/2", spin, vibrate, and do all sorts of bad things. From reading the service manual, it sounds like the machine not being able to consistently stop at its home orientation is caused by a worn out shot pin that locks orientation at the home position, but actually clamping in the wrong position without throwing a spindle orientation error seems like something that would be caused by an encoder ring being loose.

My question has to do with a motor / gearbox replacement that was performed a year ago (but only about 500 machine hours ago). These encoder and shot pin components are swapped over to the new motor / gearbox from the old one during this procedure. Does it seem more likely for the cause of my problem to be simply worn out components or improper installation by the technicians who did the motor / gearbox swap? We now need to get the spindle replaced due to some damage caused to the taper and drawbar by a spun tool, but are unsure whether we can trust the same company to do this work if they may have installed the encoder assemblies improperly before.

Any help trying to sort through this issue will be greatly appreciated. Also, any general information on how the machine verifies its home position when performing a tool change would be very helpful.

Thanks!
    If you have 500 machine hours since the GB change then it is highly unlikely that this is an installation error. I believe you would have had issues long before now if this was the case.

What exactly happens when you command the spindle to orientate? Do you hear a CLICK....CLICK....CLICK until you receive an alarm? If so, this is probably just a case of a worn out shot pin and/or shot pin ring. This is a common wear item on older machines. Replace the warn part(s) and be done with the exception of any possible spindle damage. There may be companies in your area that can repair the spindle while in the machine or replacement is always an option as well.

Good luck!

Yes, it clicks and then we receive an alarm. It works most of the time but will do the spindle error pretty much every time the machine starts up and sometimes intermediately. Is there anything else that may be worn out for it to actually clamp the tool incorrectly?

Thanks!

There is a switch that reads the position of the shot pin which may or may not be bad. It could be getting a bad read depending on exactly what is going on with the shot pin and ring.

We have had that happen a few times .From an overload to the spindle
    The Fix was to stop the machine in the middle of a tool change with E-stop and change, line up the keys and change a parameter
    your Haas guy can send you the info

Quote Originally Posted by WILDMAN2 View Post
    We have had that happen a few times .From an overload to the spindle
    The Fix was to stop the machine in the middle of a tool change with E-stop and change, line up the keys and change a parameter
    your Haas guy can send you the info
    Hello. I have a '93 VF3 and have a spindle orientation problem. When the spindle tries to orient it spins too fast for the shot pin to go in. I have sent the I/O board and the spindle drive out to be checked and there were no problems found. I know there is a parameter that controls this (I don't remember which one right now) but I have tried adjusting this and it makes no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dave