585,597 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Puma 400L tailstock alignment

Puma 400L tailstock alignment

Hi,
    New to me 400l appears to have out of aligned tailstock. Tried to fix by altering gib, but seems to only move one axis. Am about to grind the piece of spacer material between the two parts of the stock, is this the correct thing to do?

Re: Puma 400L tailstock alignment

Section E (or section 5, if numbered) of the Instruction manual has the procedure to re-align the tailstock.

Only do the procedure after checking that the Spindle does not allow for a taper in a cylindrical cut.

If taper exists, fix that first, or you will be doing another alignment right after.
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479

Quote Originally Posted by dhardt View Post
    Section E (or section 5, if numbered) of the Instruction manual has the procedure to re-align the tailstock.

Only do the procedure after checking that the Spindle does not allow for a taper in a cylindrical cut.

If taper exists, fix that first, or you will be doing another alignment right after.
    I am having the same problem th my tailstock , I have aligned the head stock , but I am not sure what screws on the tailstock body are the push and pull bolt to adjust it .The instruction manual does not have anything on alignment only on setting the postition of quill etc... Is there a procedure on alignment like the one for the head stock ?

hy michael, i have no experience with your machine type, but i have aligned tailstock on okuma's

if you wish for a few sugestions, pls share a few photos with your tailstock, so to see if it looks familiar

some models allow the tailstock to be aligned after the spindle, while others require the spindle to be aligned after the tailstock / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

What is the Serial Number?

What is the Serial Number?
    ML0052-003648 (PUMA300)

ML0126-004547 (PUMA 400)

Manual tailstock or programmable?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82 View Post
    ML0052-003648 (PUMA300)
    The adjustment seems to be all done with the box-way gibs, as the tailstock is pinned to the saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puma 300 tailstock.jpg  

ML0126-004547 (PUMA 400)
    This version seems to have a second gib area, also pinned but dis-associated from the box-way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puma 400 tailstock.jpg  

This version seems to have a second gib area, also pinned but dis-associated from the box-way.
    They both are programmable

this machine has a programmable not manual ..are they the same??

As shown in the parts manual: see attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puma 400 prog tailstock.jpg   Puma 300 prog tailstock.jpg  

hy a fully programable tailstock can do all these from code :
    ... clamping/unclamping the part
    ... traveling to home position ( far right )
    ... traveling to approach position ( pretty close to part face, thus clearance position )

a manual type requires to be moved by the operator, maybe assited by the turret

I am not sure what screws on the tailstock body are the push and pull bolt to adjust it
    if your tailstock looks like the one from attachement, and if after removing all those blue-screws, then is possible to rotate/translate it, then i can help you to align it at least in the plane that is paralel to the guides

if the tailstock needs to be raised / lowered, thus if it needs alignment in a plane that is perpendicular to the guides, then it would help if you would have an excentric sleeve inside your tailstock, and that, again, i don't know, maybe dhardt can provide a few ideas about how to do that on your machine

however, in some cases, the alignment in the plane that is perpendicular to the guides is required only if the head-stock was not re-aligned properly : thus if the headstock and the tailstock do not align in the plane that is perpendicular to the tailstock guide, and if there is needed to raise the tailstock, then maybe you should lower the head-stock instead ...

you have aligned the headstock, but do you know how far you are now from the original position ? for example, if your tailstock can be aligned in the plane that is perpendicular to the guides, only for 0.6mm, and your headstock is out of that field, then you are a bit in a tiny trap

to answer all those, is needed to align the tailstock axis at least paralel to spindle axis, and i can help you with this; after that, using a coax, you could see how far are those 2 lines from being coincident / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy a fully programable tailstock can do all these from code :
    ... clamping/unclamping the part
    ... traveling to home position ( far right )
    ... traveling to approach position ( pretty close to part face, thus clearance position )

a manual type requires to be moved by the operator, maybe assited by the turret

if your tailstock looks like the one from attachement, and if after removing all those blue-screws, then is possible to rotate/translate it, then i can help you to align it at least in the plane that is paralel to the guides

if the tailstock needs to be raised / lowered, thus if it needs alignment in a plane that is perpendicular to the guides, then it would help if you would have an excentric sleeve inside your tailstock, and that, again, i don't know, maybe dhardt can provide a few ideas about how to do that on your machine

however, in some cases, the alignment in the plane that is perpendicular to the guides is required only if the head-stock was not re-aligned properly : thus if the headstock and the tailstock do not align in the plane that is perpendicular to the tailstock guide, and if there is needed to raise the tailstock, then maybe you should lower the head-stock instead ...

you have aligned the headstock, but do you know how far you are now from the original position ? for example, if your tailstock can be aligned in the plane that is perpendicular to the guides, only for 0.6mm, and your headstock is out of that field, then you are a bit in a tiny trap

to answer all those, is needed to align the tailstock axis at least paralel to spindle axis, and i can help you with this; after that, using a coax, you could see how far are those 2 lines from being coincident / kindly
    Oh I'm sorry deadly kitten I am well aware of the difference between the two I was asking if the adjustments were the same. I have done this before but I needed a refresher and I knew dhart worked for doosan was the reason for asking him

Oh I'm sorry deadly kitten I am well aware of the difference between the two I was asking if the adjustments were the same
    I have already adjusted/aligned the tailstock within the given parameters per machine builder tolerance.

I have already adjusted/aligned the tailstock within the given parameters per machine builder tolerance.
    As I have never in 32 years needed to adjust a tailstock, were the pointers given helpful, or was my evaluation incorrect?

As I have never in 32 years needed to adjust a tailstock, were the pointers given helpful, or was my evaluation incorrect?
    Yes it helped dhardt..there is a set screw next to the gib screw that pushes so the bottom pushes the body up and the top screw pushes down on the body and that was all I needed to get the tailstock within .0004 over 36 inches