584,812 active members*
5,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Braking Resistor for the Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool Braking Resistor for the Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK

It took me awhile to determine these settings for the Fuling VFD (DZB312B005.5L2DK) to implement VFD braking and I thought I'd save someone else the time if you have a unit. Just for reference, braking is where you put an external resistor onto the VFD and it allows the VFD to back feed power into the resistor when the VFD quickly slows down the spindle. In my case, I can go from 16,000 RPM to 0 RPM in 2 seconds or less.

You need a 500w, 100 ohm resistor:

1 Trapezium 500W 100ohm Aluminum Housed Wire Wound Braking Resistor | eBay

Then wire that up to the following terminals: DC+ BR- (forget what the diagram shows in the manual, as the manual doesn't apply completely to the DK version for router applications)

Go into the VFD setup and set the following:

F0.09 = 1 to 10 (number of seconds you want to reach zero RPM)
    F0.19 = 0
    F0.20 = 0
    F0.21 = 0
    F0.22 = 0
    F0.23 = 0

Hope this helps someone else.

Re: Braking Resistor for the Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK

Hi, Are you still on these forums?
    Im currently setting this inverter up and have some questions! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kornboy View Post
    Hi, Are you still on these forums?
    Im currently setting this inverter up and have some questions! Cheers!
    Yes, but I don't know that I could answer other questions as it has been so long now.

Hi DMoore,

Thanks for posting about this. I have the exact same VFD and am attempting this breaking resistor install.

But I'm having a problem - it's having no effect. Apologies for resurrecting this 4 year old thread but I'm hoping you or someone familiar with these Fuling VFDs might be able to help.

The reason I decided to install an external breaking resistor is because after replacing the spindle the VFD was getting E00A errors on spindle-stop with the default F0.09=20 setting when decelerating from high speed (20K+ RPM) with larger tools (1/2" shank). For me this is pretty serious because the machine controller doesn't detect the error so unless the operator notices the slow spin-down at tool change, the spindle will not start back up, probably crashing the tool unless E-STOP is hit pretty quickly. I'm not the only person who runs this machine so it's bound to happen.

I was able to work around the problem in the short-term by setting F0.09=30, but that's a pretty long spin-down. And assuming the internal breaking resistor is being challenged, this seemed like a smart upgrade since the parts cost is reasonable.

I ordered & installed the same 100-ohm/500W resistor you recommend - it looked like the perfect fit & it installed effortlessly. The resistor read 101-ohms on my DMM, close enough. I connected it as you recommend, to DC+/BR- (you're right, the manual is quite confusing due to the number of models covers and our specific model isn't even listed)

Testing, with F0.19-F0.23 = 0 & F0.09 = 20 I'm seeing exactly the same behavior as before: E00A errors with larger tools at higher speeds.

I hesitate to experiment (with wiring at least) - the manual seems to imply hooking it to BR+/BR- which seems to be DC+/DC- aka a DC power bus, which can't be right.

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong here?

Thanks again for the tip, hopefully this is just a bonehead mistake on my part that someone will help me sort out soon.

(Additional note: I'm seeing 0.54VAC put on the resistor when the spindle is running. Increases to 0.85VAC on spin-down, but shouldn't I be seeing at least 20-30V?) It's shunting AC not DC, right?

Quick update on voltage readings. Think it's DC after all. Reading 0.00VDC across brake resistor while running and braking.

Quote Originally Posted by dwg123 View Post
    Quick update on voltage readings. Think it's DC after all. Reading 0.00VDC across brake resistor while running and braking.
    Can you post a photo of what terminals you have for the Breaking Resistor there are about 4 different way these drives have to install the Breaking Resistor so don't go off what someone else posts unless your VFD Drive is the same model number and Kw size
    Mactec54

Most meters can't read any outputs from a VFD unless they have a lowpass filter built in they will give you a false reading or nothing at all
    Mactec54

Smile Re: Braking Resistor for the Fuling DZB312B005.5L2DK

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Can you post a photo of what terminals you have for the Breaking Resistor there are about 4 different way these drives have to install the Breaking Resistor so don't go off what someone else posts unless your VFD Drive is the same model number and Kw size
    Happy to oblige

Anything I can do to assist, just ask.

I just ran thru and wrote down all the VFD settings and am transcribing that to a file. If that might help I'm happy to upload that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image0.jpeg   image1.jpeg   image2.jpeg   IMG_5064.jpg  

Most meters can't read any outputs from a VFD unless they have a lowpass filter built in they will give you a false reading or nothing at all
    Thanks for responding, mactec54. You clearly know far more than I do about the electronics side of things. Probably all sides since I'm pretty new to the realm.

Happy to oblige

Anything I can do to assist, just ask.

I just ran thru and wrote down all the VFD settings and am transcribing that to a file. If that might help I'm happy to upload that too.
    Is the Breaking Resistor connected to BR+ BR- or is that DC+

Also what is the full model number of your VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Is the Breaking Resistor connected to BR+ BR- or is that DC+

Also what is the full model number of your VFD Drive
    The VFD is a FULING INVERTER DZB Series DZB312B005.5L2DK. The Braking Resistor is connected to DC+ and BR-. Powered-off, resistance at the DC+ BR- terminals on the VFD with the braking resistor connected is 101.6 Ohms so I don't think this is a continuity issue.

The VFD is a FULING INVERTER DZB Series DZB312B005.5L2DK. The Braking Resistor is connected to DC+ and BR-. Powered-off, resistance at the DC+ BR- terminals on the VFD with the braking resistor connected is 101.6 Ohms so I don't think this is a continuity issue.
    I think your connection is incorrect Dc+ and Dc- is for the Breaking Resistor connection
    Mactec54

I think your connection is incorrect Dc+ and Dc- is for the Breaking Resistor connection
    Thanks for taking a look, mactec54.

On one hand, it seems you're right - this is what the manual seems to indicate in some places. Considering where it's from, in some ways the Fuling DZB series VFD manual is pretty good, but when it comes to connecting the braking resistor it's very unclear. The manual seems to contradict itself in several places.

For example: (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUe...P0h2g7XG7/view))
    On page 11, it says "Note: Breaking resistor terminals BR+/BR- for the inverter of 15KW or below." - Problem is, there is no BR+ terminal that I can find. Here's a clear picture of the unit I found online with no wires obstructing the labels https://i.ytimg.com/vi/88i-8E5Rv40/maxresdefault.jpg

On page 13, it says, "Note: C.Brake resistor terminals of BR+ BR- The brake resistor terminal is effective only for the inverter of 15kW or below and has a built-in brake unit. Select the recommended resistor with the cable length of less than 5m, otherwise the inverter mayburn or be damaged."

On the other hand, considering there's 320VDC between DC+ and DC- when the VFD is sitting idle, I tend to agree with dmoore - I think the DK (1-phase 220VAC powered) model is different and not correctly covered in the manual.

One development, I tracked down the manufacturer. They changed their name and are now Home_ZHEJIANG NEW FOLINN ELECTRIC CO.,LTD I'm going to try to contact them directly. The saga continues.

@dmoore?

Thanks for taking a look, mactec54.

On one hand, it seems you're right - this is what the manual seems to indicate in some places. Considering where it's from, in some ways the Fuling DZB series VFD manual is pretty good, but when it comes to connecting the braking resistor it's very unclear. The manual seems to contradict itself in several places.

For example: (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUe...P0h2g7XG7/view))
    On page 11, it says "Note: Breaking resistor terminals BR+/BR- for the inverter of 15KW or below." - Problem is, there is no BR+ terminal that I can find. Here's a clear picture of the unit I found online with no wires obstructing the labels https://i.ytimg.com/vi/88i-8E5Rv40/maxresdefault.jpg

On page 13, it says, "Note: C.Brake resistor terminals of BR+ BR- The brake resistor terminal is effective only for the inverter of 15kW or below and has a built-in brake unit. Select the recommended resistor with the cable length of less than 5m, otherwise the inverter mayburn or be damaged."

On the other hand, considering there's 320VDC between DC+ and DC- when the VFD is sitting idle, I tend to agree with dmoore - I think the DK (1-phase 220VAC powered) model is different and not correctly covered in the manual.

One development, I tracked down the manufacturer. They changed their name and are now Home_ZHEJIANG NEW FOLINN ELECTRIC CO.,LTD I'm going to try to contact them directly. The saga continues.

@dmoore?
    The Breaking Resistor can only be connected to the DC Bus circuit it can not be connected in any other configuration

What you are looking at is the connections for a Reactor to very different connections

The VFD Drive you have may not have the Breaking Resistor circuit built in to the Drive not all come with the Breaking Circuit, but connecting it correctly would be a start to see if it works or not, the way you have it connected is incorrect
    Mactec54

This is what a normal Breaking Circuit is

Typically, a braking circuit (sometimes known as the “chopper” circuit) is controlled by the drive and consists of a power transistor and resistor(s) that are connected across the drive’s DC bus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking Resistor Circuit.PNG  
    Mactec54

On Reading the manual I would contact the manufacture as there is some confusion like you have said as to what connections to use, this is from one of the manuals

Your wiring is not suitable for testing the spindle requires a Ground
    Mactec54

On Reading the manual I would contact the manufacture as there is some confusion like you have said as to what connections to use, this is from one of the manuals

Your wiring is not suitable for testing the spindle requires a Ground
    Yes, this was the problem I had also. The wiring seemed to contradict itself. Also keep in mind this isn't just wiring, you also have to make changes in the interface to force the spindle to slow down faster than standard.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    Yes, this was the problem I had also. The wiring seemed to contradict itself. Also keep in mind this isn't just wiring, you also have to make changes in the interface to force the spindle to slow down faster than standard.
    It's not normally a problem to add a Breaking Resistor, only some VFD Drives have some confusing information, but if you know how to check the Breaking circuit in the VFD Drive you can soon find it is a simple connection

Are yes that is the norm Parameters need to be set for the Breaking Resistor to work, along with Dc injection will help the most but there is a limit with these High Speed Spindles you can do, or you will burn them up
    Mactec54

Thanks for the attempts to help, guys. However it's still unclear to me how to proceed.

@mactec54, you're saying to connect the braking resistor to the DC+ & DC- terminals, correct? I'm reluctant to try this because I read 320VDC across the terminals even when the VFD & spindle are idle. Won't this either burn out the VFD or cause a fire?

@dmoore, can you take a look at the images I posted earlier and confirm I'm wiring the braking resistor the way you recommended in your original post? Can you see anything I'm doing wrong?

Side note: I did eventually track down and contact the OEM for the VFD. They responded by saying that if it doesn't work, my VFD doesn't support it. Yet @dmoore's VFD of the exactly same model works. It was the typical unhelpful passive / aggressive response I'm starting to get used to from off-shore vendors. American companies, I have an answer by phone or email in 5-10 minutes. The far-east companies, lucky to resolve in 5 weeks. They seemed to be looking at the same manual, seeing the VFD model isn't listed, and jumping to an evasive pat answer instead of tracking down a real answer. All compounded by language issues, of course.

Trying to clarify here, in summary:
    * Braking resistor is connected between DC+ & BR-. F0.19-F0.23=0 but any F0.09<30 triggers a E00A on spindle-stop.
    * Do I have
    A) incorrect wiring
    B) a VFD parameter settings problem
    C) this VFD just doesn't support braking

Thanks for your patience and apologies for dragging this thread down a confusing path. I'm really trying to get a clear understanding before taking next steps. I don't want to give up, but not mistakenly damage the VFD or worse either.

Thanks for the attempts to help, guys. However it's still unclear to me how to proceed.

@mactec54, you're saying to connect the braking resistor to the DC+ & DC- terminals, correct? I'm reluctant to try this because I read 320VDC across the terminals even when the VFD & spindle are idle. Won't this either burn out the VFD or cause a fire?

@dmoore, can you take a look at the images I posted earlier and confirm I'm wiring the braking resistor the way you recommended in your original post? Can you see anything I'm doing wrong?

Side note: I did eventually track down and contact the OEM for the VFD. They responded by saying that if it doesn't work, my VFD doesn't support it. Yet @dmoore's VFD of the exactly same model works. It was the typical unhelpful passive / aggressive response I'm starting to get used to from off-shore vendors. American companies, I have an answer by phone or email in 5-10 minutes. The far-east companies, lucky to resolve in 5 weeks. They seemed to be looking at the same manual, seeing the VFD model isn't listed, and jumping to an evasive pat answer instead of tracking down a real answer. All compounded by language issues, of course.

Trying to clarify here, in summary:
    * Braking resistor is connected between DC+ & BR-. F0.19-F0.23=0 but any F0.09<30 triggers a E00A on spindle-stop.
    * Do I have
    A) incorrect wiring
    B) a VFD parameter settings problem
    C) this VFD just doesn't support braking

Thanks for your patience and apologies for dragging this thread down a confusing path. I'm really trying to get a clear understanding before taking next steps. I don't want to give up, but not mistakenly damage the VFD or worse either.
    It could be anyone of the above or a combination of more than one of those questions

What you have to determine is which connection has the Brake-Chopper Transistor, so with the spindle at full RPM do a stop, and with your meter you can check what is happening with any or all of the DC bus terminals, when stopping the Brake-Chopper Transistor circuit will open and you will be able to measure the output, it will be closed with normal running

Yes I was unsure also about the connection of DC+ and DC- after reading more into the manual, you would have to see if it has the DC Braking Circuit if it does not then that would be why it is not working many VFD Drives like this do not have the DC Braking Circuit

So if with the power on the DC+ and DC- has 370v or there about, then that would not be the connection to use

I will take a look at the Parameters and see if you have missed something
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12