586,013 active members*
4,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > need help, nema 23 sstepper motors

need help, nema 23 sstepper motors

Hi I'm a newbie to forums and im building my first CNC having problems with my stepper motors, completly stuck and dont have a clue what to do next, have it all wired up and goin, in mach3 when in motor tuning its work perfect and can get good speed then when I click out of motor tuning and try to jog and they get jammed , sounds rough and like its missing steps,

Have tried all different set ups in the drivers and have the same problem with them all, have it currently set at 1600spr or 1/8 stepping,have steps per set to 320 in Mach 3, did this sum to get that, 200/5=40 40x8= 320

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Info of my parts are:

16mm ball screws with a 5mm lead

Nema 23 stepper motors 425oz, 3.0A 1.8degree 4lead

Drivers are DM542A with a DB25-1205 breakout board

Powered by 2 36v power supply and 5v

Re: need help, nema 23 sstepper motors

When you are in the motor tune window, are you pressing the save axis button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that same problem with my Y axis. It ended up being the driver's motor in the computer. Once I replaced it in the computer box and rewired to the existing motor the sound was fine. The way you test this is swap the cabling from your affected motor to another. If the problem persists (with the weird grinding sound) you'll know its the driver and not the motor itself. If your motors are already connected to an axis, you'll want to change the settings so they work with that axis (short vs long).

Re: need help Mach 3 motor problem

I'm no expert by any means, I'm in the process of going through my mach setup now and it world seen to me that your steps per rev calculation is off. The way I interpreted the mach manual would be like this, 200x5(lead)=1000
    1000x8(microstep)=8000 steps per revolution. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know of that is even what's causing your problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Did you remember to click the "SAVE AXIS SETTINGS" button? Simply clicking "OK" does not save the settings.

Gregoose: 320 steps per unit is the correct number, provided the machine is set up in metric units.
    The stepper has 200*8=1600 microsteps per turn. Each turn moves the axis 5mm. 1600/5 = 320 (micro)steps per mm.

you need to have 5v to the step + and dir+ and your en+

another thing with the Chinese drivers if one is configured improperly they all do not function right or don't work at all.

Didn't have 5v wired into enbl+ so did that and its working a lot smoother , thanks for your replys,so now can get it running smooth and accurate on slow speeds but then when I tune it up same thing is happening can get decent speeds when in tuning then when save and go to jog its missing steps or jamming up,it like the Chinese breakout board can't handle it or would computer have anything to do with it. seen people posting about a Ethernet easy steeper break out board would this help getting it run faster,

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post

Gregoose: 320 steps per unit is the correct number, provided the machine is set up in metric units.
    The stepper has 200*8=1600 microsteps per turn. Each turn moves the axis 5mm. 1600/5 = 320 (micro)steps per mm.
    Ok that makes sense, I'm still learning. I forgot not everyone uses inches. Don't know why the U.S.still does either, lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Try full step no microstepping,and make sure you aren't binding anywhere.