585,973 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC 15XT Powerup issues

VMC 15XT Powerup issues

Got back from vacation and tried to power up my machine. the screen is filled with lines and the controller is unresponsive. Currently reading about the PC Boards, if anyone is available for a phone call I would greatly appreciate the troubleshooting help. Ryan 7138990251

Re: VMC 15XT Powerup issues

Looks like the power supply is outputting 12v and 5v. I am not getting LED lights on the main PC board in slot 5, and no light on the Video card in slot 8. These boards are bridged together, so will I mess anything up if I power down and remove and replace them one by one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fadal Computer Error 2.jpg  

I removed the boards and all look good, no burnt components. Replaced and powered up with the same issue.

I am not noticing the usual "relay click" when I push the Green CNC power button. Trying to track that down now.

I got this resolved... I talked with Scott at Eagle Machine in Houston, and he said to pull the main CPU board (Slot 5) and then pull the memory board off the main and replace it in Slot 5. Once I tried to power up the machine the noticeable "relay click" in the back cabinet showed back up! I walked around the machine to find that it started up properly! He thought it could be a faulty memory board.

In further troubleshooting I reinstalled the memory board on the main and it fired right up again. So not really sure why it was messing up, but this will be the first thing I try in troubleshooting my machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	330660

Quote Originally Posted by megacanam View Post
    I got this resolved... I talked with Scott at Eagle Machine in Houston, and he said to pull the main CPU board (Slot 5) and then pull the memory board off the main and replace it in Slot 5. Once I tried to power up the machine the noticeable "relay click" in the back cabinet showed back up! I walked around the machine to find that it started up properly! He thought it could be a faulty memory board.

In further troubleshooting I reinstalled the memory board on the main and it fired right up again. So not really sure why it was messing up, but this will be the first thing I try in troubleshooting my machine.

You might want to replace the purple battery on that cpu......

@scruz

Yes the battery is dead. When I was working on this I pushed the test button and the LED did not come on.

Do you have recommendations on replacement? I have not looked at it closely to see what it needs, been trying to catch up.

Thanks

check the voltage on the battery first...If not 3.4 volts replace the purple battery... You can order it at ITSCNC.com

have you had a look at this thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas-m...battery-3.html

while its for another make of machine it should help you to plan a DIY battery replacement
    maintaining the volatile memory possibly in a realtime clock memory chip will avoid having to reload the data

John