585,973 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Introducing the G214 and Contest!
Page 1 of 3 123

Introducing the G214 and Contest!

Hey guys, so aside from the office jumping the gun with their contest this has been a pretty productive week. We are finally releasing our G214, which has been in development for the last 16 months. It can be viewed below:

G214 High Resolution Stepper Drive

This is designed for end-user and OEM alike with features that will appeal to both and we are pretty proud of the new stuff we have developed for it. The new anti-resonance algorithms are ridiculously smooth and quiet and we think people will get a lot of utility out of them. Anyway, on to the fun stuff.

I have four of these to give away and I think it will be a pretty simple one. So, all you need to do to enter to win is say what you will use the G214 for. Are you building a machine right now and need top of the line controls? Are you retrofitting a machine with super old 80's electronics and want to modernize? Are you just running a motor for no reason on your desk? Let me know and we will pick the winners next Friday and announce them here!

Also, a video:

Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Re: Introducing the G214 and Contest!

I have a working on a 4 axis machine for making beer tap handles. I have a small machine I made that's 3 axis right now that runs on a G540. The 3 axis works great on lathelike solids but has issues troubles with flat surfaces. These would work great for my new machine.

-- John

I have built several cnc machines over the years and have used geckos along with other drives...I have always ended up replacing other brand drives with gecko products. Currently I have a 4 axis milling machine using nema 34 sized steppers and older gecko drivers.

I am looking forward to the newer drives to upgrade my existing system to allow my motors to run smoother and faster. I machine parts using my gecko driven machines to prove cutting techniques and to research machining formulas to prove how smaller and more obtainable equipment can obtain professional level results. My recent testing involves feed rate formulas for and applying high speed machining techniques on my sub 10k machine.
    AC
    Has anyone seen my pillow?

I am finally finishing a bench top CNC conversion I started years ago and I just found that at some point I killed one of my 201x drives. I have just rebuilt the control system so it can now actually output a step pulse at a speed that would make the 214's worth for there higher micro stepping

I plan on using the machine to make custom parts for a leg brace for my father

Thank You
    C

Hey cjd,

Thanks for the entry! If you have a damaged drive you are more than welcome to send it in for evaluation. Just in case you don't win we can at least make sure you are up and running! Just mention this on the return form and I'll make sure any evaluation or repair charges are waived if the drive is out of warranty.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Hi
    If I had to win, I will replace my chinees drives with the G214's. I built my own machine a while back, but could not get my hands on Geco drives in South Africa.

Rgs
    Scalci

I would get my stupid Z axis working properly it would be replacing a 213V I have gecko products on all machines 213V and a G540
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My entry for 2 axis lathe conversion

manufacturer: Livnica Kikinda AC 280 copy of French manufacturer H. Ernault Batignolles AC 280
    max swing over bed: 280mm
    distance between centers: 500mm
    tail stock taper: MT3
    power of motor 3KW
    weight of machine 900kg
    manufactured in 1969

I gots to upgrade my 5 axis hobby router!!! So I can make some more PWD cars!!!
    You know BIGGER, BETTER FASTER.... Gecko... All the way....
    So we can play all day.....

Great stuff.....

With the new drives my router and mini mill would no longer share the same G540.
    The G540 would finally be fine tuned for 1 machine and 80v would be like putting nitrous on the router.
    I don't have a 4th axis. Maybe my garage door could do dance routines with the extra drive ?
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I'm replacing the (foreign) electronics on a 4-axis machine. Was going to get another G540 for the job, but I could make a G214 work! ;-)

My latest mill is running X Y Z with three G213V. I am working on a rotary axis, so another driver like the G214 would be nice.

I am just starting a conversion of my old 7x12 lathe to CNC control. If all goes well with the conversion I would like to add a mill head to kinda emulate a swiss machine.

Robert

Gecko, I live and die by your drivers!

I design machinery to automate the manufacture of explosive simulators for the U.S. military (presently in the middle of an Army-related project).

Resonance issues have _always_ been a problem. If this driver solves that bit of kit, then it'll be my 'go-to' driver!

Thanks for the chance.

LS

This is very kind of you to offer as I'm actually in the modeling stage of a gang tool lathe setup.

This would be a great addition to the setup so your timing couldn't be better!

Dave

I have G213V Geckos running a router and milling machine and am thinking of setting up a lathe. I am interested in seeing how the G214 compares.

I would change out the drive on my Rockwell lathe to the G214...would be a good project to test it out and maybe replace all my drives

I've used the G203V driver to update my CNC Router controls, but the new G214 would be great for the Mill in the garage that's in need of a conversion!

The improved mid-band resonance and increased torque at higher speeds are intriguing. I've had these problems on my CNC lathe with Pacific Shientific controllers , and this might help the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    Hey guys, so aside from the office jumping the gun with their contest this has been a pretty productive week. We are finally releasing our G214, which has been in development for the last 16 months.
    Hi, I would like to retrofit an old (1980 something) 'H Square' engraver which I purchased a while ago. It is quite a robust machine but the electronics will definitely need upgrading to make it useful - this looks like a good solution and could turn it into a working machine.( I already have new step motors).

Page 1 of 3 123