585,761 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Picking up this G0704 CNC Conversion with enclosure. Have a few questions....

Picking up this G0704 CNC Conversion with enclosure. Have a few questions....

I'm picking this mill up Monday.

Here's the build specs:

Mill Specs/ Included:
    # X/Y/Z "Double Nut" Ball Screws
    #High Torque Stepper Motors
    # 3 Axis Controller
    # Mach 3 Software
    #.0001 Accuracy
    # X/Y/Z Limit/Homing Switches
    # Dovetail column
    # Safety shut off switch
    # DRO on spindle
    # Fine feed head control
    # 2 Speed gear box
    # Clear guard on spindle
    # Rubber chip guards on ways
    # Zero setting dials
    # Dials read inches
    # Tapered gibs throughout
    # Forward/Reverse switch
    # Stand with chip tray and cabinet
    # Motor 1 HP, 110V, 3.2A, single-phase
    # Spindle taper R-8
    # Spindle travel 2"
    # T-slots 3 @ 2-1/2" centers, 3/8" studs
    # Head travel 11"
    # Head tilt 90°; L/R
    # Max. distance spindle to table 13"
    # Swing 14-3/4"
    # Table travel (longitudinal) 18-7/8"
    # Table travel (cross) 6-7/8"
    # Table size 7-1/8" x 26-5/8"
    # Range of speeds Variable, 50-2250 RPM (Variable Spindle Control Installed)
    # Table Capacity 125-150 lbs.
    # LED Spindle Work Light

Seems like it should be a pretty good machine for the smaller parts I'll be running.

Now to my questions/hunt for recommendations.

1- I am interested in going with a powered draw bar that's not overly complex.
    2- Definitely looking to go to a larger motor (3ph + VFD likely).
    3- Belt conversion for higher RPM's would be nice.

I'm going to be cutting almost all aluminum with this machine.

Anyone have any recommendations on changes that I should make based on the build specs?

Thank you for your time!

Re: Picking up this G0704 CNC Conversion with enclosure. Have a few questions....

The first thing you will want to do is set up a system to remove chips either a air blower or mist or water.

You dont need a 3hp anything with that size mill but a real 1.5 HP would be nice, from what I have heard the stock motors are doing well now so that could be down the road.

That looks like a really nice enclosure. The motor mounts look like the ones I do. Cant really tell.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Re: Picking up this G0704 CNC Conversion with enclosure. Have a few questions....

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The first thing you will want to do is set up a system to remove chips either a air blower or mist or water.

You dont need a 3hp anything with that size mill but a real 1.5 HP would be nice, from what I have heard the stock motors are doing well now so that could be down the road.

That looks like a really nice enclosure. The motor mounts look like the ones I do. Cant really tell.
    No plan for 3hp. 3ph with a VFD is something I'm interested in. The motor I saw that was used with this setup was a 2hp A/C setup IIRC and seemed to really work nicely.

I'm gonna go take a gander at your youtube videos right now Arizona. I'm loving all the videos on these mills.

140 views and only one response? Nobody has recommendations?

I have a couple possible recommendations. A lot depends on your individual needs

1. Head spacer and column spacer modification (Nice for the extra room with a vise even if you don't need the extra swing.
    2. One shot oiler
    3. Mist or flood coolant or both
    4. For aluminum you definitely want some kind of speed increase. If you don't want to do VFD or belt dirve right away, you can do Hoss's gear mod that replaces the plastic gear and increases RPM.

Spend a bunch of time squaring the thing up. Get your jibs adjusted nicely and all lubed up. Coolant, shielding over the steppers, I also changed the way covers to better protect them from swarf. Then motor the belt upgrade is good. Not sure the quality of those limit switches but nice repeatable limit switches are always good, so check that. Then as far as tooling, part holding, measurement, and all of that the skies pretty much the limit. Depends totally on your needs.

My tip for you is to invest in TTS type tool holders from day 1. Many of us bought R8 collets and tooling that is now sitting idle in a tool drawer. I'm a year into my G0704 endeavor. Do a belt drive. I did a 1.5hp 3phase Leeson with vfd. Love it. It's a beast. Y-axis extension has made the mill much more usable with 9" of travel. With the mill mounted in that enclosure, you'll need the one shot oiler as access to the ways and ballscrews will be limited. You'll need a misting system or some form of coolant. I love the Fog Buster though it's expensive and the mounts suck.

Also, I'm lusting after that enclosure. Rob at Procut CNC is selling them on Ebay or direct. $800 for the enclosure alone, or $1500 including the base.

Some things I learned about the enclosure after a quick call to him: it's not designed for full flood coolant. The enclosure base is flat with no drain pre-drilled. It could be modified however. Also you'll need to drill you own mounting holes for the mill once you position it best. Every CNC kit is different so Rob ships with no predefined mounting holes, probably a good thing. Lastly, many of us have an extended y-axis and front mount stepper which may be a tight fit in the enclosure. Lastly, several people including me have asked Rob for full height sliding doors. He can do then and may offer them as an upgrade to the stock enclosure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    My tip for you is to invest in TTS type tool holders from day 1. Many of us bought R8 collets and tooling that is now sitting idle in a tool drawer. I'm a year into my G0704 endeavor. Do a belt drive. I did a 1.5hp 3phase Leeson with vfd. Love it. It's a beast. Y-axis extension has made the mill much more usable with 9" of travel. With the mill mounted in that enclosure, you'll need the one shot oiler as access to the ways and ballscrews will be limited. You'll need a misting system or some form of coolant. I love the Fog Buster though it's expensive and the mounts suck.

Also, I'm lusting after that enclosure. Rob at Procut CNC is selling them on Ebay or direct. $800 for the enclosure alone, or $1500 including the base.

Some things I learned about the enclosure after a quick call to him: it's not designed for full flood coolant. The enclosure base is flat with no drain pre-drilled. It could be modified however. Also you'll need to drill you own mounting holes for the mill once you position it best. Every CNC kit is different so Rob ships with no predefined mounting holes, probably a good thing. Lastly, many of us have an extended y-axis and front mount stepper which may be a tight fit in the enclosure. Lastly, several people including me have asked Rob for full height sliding doors. He can do then and may offer them as an upgrade to the stock enclosure.

Absolutely loud and clear on the TTS holders. I'm looking into placing an order for them and some tooling next week.

Your belt drive and motor/vfd combo is actually the one I've been eyeing, so I'm glad you found my thread. I want to pretty much copy your setup part for part with the Y axis and stuff.

I've got plans to get it off to Benchtop to do the linear rail conversion on the Z almost straight away.

I'm actually located in MN and am buying my mill from Rob. He built a bigger one and is selling me this one.

I asked the same question about flooding, and plan to do a little work on the base of the enclosure to add a drain and circulator pump with a holding tank. (I own a welding and fabrication shop, so I've got some of the necessities for that swap out covered).

I'll have to see what happens with the extended Y axis when the time comes. There's got to be a way to clearance things that will work ok.

I'm gonna go back and look through your threads for some more info. Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by fmfchop View Post
    Absolutely loud and clear on the TTS holders. I'm looking into placing an order for them and some tooling next week.

Your belt drive and motor/vfd combo is actually the one I've been eyeing, so I'm glad you found my thread. I want to pretty much copy your setup part for part with the Y axis and stuff.

I've got plans to get it off to Benchtop to do the linear rail conversion on the Z almost straight away.

I'm actually located in MN and am buying my mill from Rob. He built a bigger one and is selling me this one.

I asked the same question about flooding, and plan to do a little work on the base of the enclosure to add a drain and circulator pump with a holding tank. (I own a welding and fabrication shop, so I've got some of the necessities for that swap out covered).

I'll have to see what happens with the extended Y axis when the time comes. There's got to be a way to clearance things that will work ok.

I'm gonna go back and look through your threads for some more info. Thanks Mike!
    Don't forget the cheaper Ebay TTS holders. Search C3/4 ER20 on ebay. Many of us use them with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    Don't forget the cheaper Ebay TTS holders. Search C3/4 ER20 on ebay. Many of us use them with great success.

Good call for sure. I assume these are the ones everyone is running?

Well worth the investment for a 10 pack of the holders and then a full run of collets for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fmfchop View Post
    Good call for sure. I assume these are the ones everyone is running?

Well worth the investment for a 10 pack of the holders and then a full run of collets for sure.
    These are the ones indeed. If you email the seller, you can ask for the ones with the ATC groove for a few bucks more. I learned this after the fact. May be useful if you think you'll evolve to a Tormach at some point.

This is my small mill for little parts at my house.

The next VMC I get will be something around 20hp and 5 axis going into my shop.

I bought this one just for small stuff and to teach my kids about machining and programming. (Which I went to school for)