585,568 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > Need some mentoring (remote or local)

Need some mentoring (remote or local)

Starting to put together a basic 2 axis hot wire cutter to cut some simple patterns in foam - very limited knowledge of cnc technology so need some advising.

Have setup a table (approx 7' x 4') with a carriage for the foam that will slide (on rollers) in a straight line parallel to the tables length (pic below). The carriage will be moved by this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also have these parts:

2X Single 1 Axis TB6560 3A Motor Driver Stepper Board CNC Router Controller New | eBay

Would Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 179oz.in(1.26Nm) Bipolar motors be good for this?

Intend for one motor with the drive belt to move the carriage (y-axis). Also, one motor coupled by 1/4" threaded rod to each end (2 motors total driven in tandem) of the hot wire frame to move it up & down (x-axis) and only thru less than 3" @ approx. 1"/sec. Wire will always be parallel to the table surface thus all though it has 2 motors, they will operate as one (in tandem - driven by one control board?).

Mechanically, both the carriage and the wire frame will be built to move easily with little friction.

As to programs, since there will be only two sets of "instructions" (2 axis) sent to the motors, am wondering if I would need to buy any standard program such as Mach 3 which seems designed for more complex (3 axis) operations? Or could I simply just write the programs myself?

Hope someone(s) can advise/help me on this - thanks.

Oh and by the way, I have a variac for controlling NiCr wire temp but not sure how to connect it up - would hate to burn up the variac first time I use it! How do you connect these?

The white board has been eliminated. No uprights on each side have been added yet as guides for the hot wire frame.

Re: Need some mentoring (remote or local)

BTW, I will be glad to pay someone for their time & effort to help me complete this project.

OK then - $1000 payment to anyone who will give me the help AT MY LOCATION* I need to complete this machine. $1000 paid upon successful completion including programming and production of product. Will provide accommodations for the couple days (?) it should take. Long term employment possible as machine operator/computer/IT help with business afterwards.

*You can first help via phone, email, etc. as much as possible but I figure you will have to visit for a day or two anyway to finalize completion and operation.

zenbot uses the belt system look at them they also sell their controller at a very reasonable price and the owner shaun is very helpful

Called him - he says no - next?

$5,000 sound better?

Hey there,

Sorry you are having troubles with it. I have made a couple of large-scale hot wire cutters, intended for construction use cutting 48x48x96 blocks of form to create facades for commercial purposes.

I am located in StL, I can swing by and take a look if you are somewhere near (didnt see a city listed).

As far as the code is concerned, the best way depends on your CAM software. Hot wires dont use traditional Cartesian planes. The two towers can move simultaneously or in sync. The best way to achieve this depends on your CAM process, and the software you use for it. I use 99% synced, or "slaved" towers, to create non-eccentric parts. Think of a round cylinder vs airplane wing. If you wanted to go the route of Mach I could help you as much as possibly could to get this running. Its frustrating. Technically an arduino or something could probably handle it, but I have zero experience with them, so I could not help you there.

Variac is the best way to go. I have fiddled around with trying to get an automated system to monitor the heat and current, but I have not had any success. I just keep a log book with foam cutting thicknesses, speeds, heat, type of foam, etc..

I attached a couple pictures of my work. On the picture of the finished building, the exterior on the "second" floor is completely 100% foam. The incomplete wall is a facade that went on top of a nail salon.

I hope I can help shed some light on this so you can get moving on your work!

Hi ,

I am cnc designer and I live in Los Angeles ,

I can help you completely to build your foam cutter .

Please contact me by

[email protected]