585,969 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Making the dust shoe

CnCRouterParts has a dust shoe posted at Universal CNC Router & Spindle Dust Shoe by CNCRouterParts - Thingiverse I have most of the parts brought. But I am lost in creating the tool path for mach3. Do I need fusion360 or any other Vetric programs works for this? I want to make the dust shoe for the 2.2 air spindle from CnCRouter parts. Also, any recommended bits to make this? If some one creates a mach3 file for this, can I just use that? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Be Bliss.

Re: Making the dust shoe

Yes you need a CAM program to generate the tool path that mach3 will send to the CNC.
    CAD designs the part, CAM generates the tool path and Mach3 communicates with the machine.
    If you don't have any CAD/CAM software I guess Fusion360 is a good place to start.
    YouTube has a wealth of tutorials that should get you started. NYCCNC channel is a good place to start I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    gallenat0r

Hi,

You can download the Fusion design file pre-programmed for the CNC Router Part's 2.2kW Spindle from our Thingiverse project here --> Parametric_CRP_Dust_Shoe_v1.1.80mm_CRP_3HP_Spindle .F3D

This file will come pre-configured for a 1/4" flat end mill tool and that's what I would recommend for the dust shoe.

If you are new to Fusion, you might check out one of our fusion project videos such as the Wine Glass Holder (you can probably focus on the Part II/CAM portion of the sequence) - Part II Design and Make: Wine Glass Holder Part II - CAM Programming with Fusion 360 to get a idea of what is involved.

Generally we have a number of sample projects and videos for both Fusion and Vectric that you can find on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/cncrouterparts with new ones being added regularly.

Let us know if you have any more questions & good luck!

-Nathan

Ok, I installed fusion360 and now my problem just trying to edit some of the parameters. I was only able to get ceramic magnet 1/2"diameter x 1/8" thickness from amazon. I was able to change the thickness of magnet and m8 insert diameter. Trying to change the fastener length, diameter and fastener boss offset messes up the dust shoe. Basically I am trying to edit, so I can have the 1/2' diameter magnet on both of the brush frame and dust shoe using glue. Any quick solution/suggestion for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Blisswoodshop View Post
    Basically I am trying to edit, so I can have the 1/2' diameter magnet on both of the brush frame and dust shoe using glue. Any quick solution/suggestion for this?
    Hi - You should be able to change then MagnetDiameter parameter to .5 and do a press-pull on the faces of the magnet retaining features of the upper frame to remove those features. Attached is a copy of the Fusion project with those changes made.

You'll want the magnets to come in direct contact but will want to mount some recessed and the opposite magnet proud to ensure there is good radial engagement (this is why the magnets are recessed with the bolts reaching in - in the default design).

In this case I wouldn't recommend HDPE (most glues wont properly adhere to it) but if you use ABS or something else you should be in good shape.

Let us know how you get on!

-Nathan

there are quite a few problems with that file I destroyed it in 10 seconds, editing the magnet hole parameter causes quite a few things to fail. for a newbie to fusion it will be super hard to work out why it is failing and how to fix it.

one of the first problems RULE 1 is not adhered to if you want to know what rule 1 is look up on the fusion forum.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually I edited the magnet size with out any issues. Its when I started to mess with the threaded insert I had issues. Any how, I made my first dust shoe. Trying to edit the drawing threw something off on my gcode, where the spindle friction lock tabs were mostly removed. But I can still make use of this and will make another one with the leftover HDPE if necessary sometime in the future. To make things harder, I had to remove my spindle and re-install the porter cable router b/c the 1/4" bit I got wouldn't go inside the 1/4" er-20 spring Collet I got from amazon. I must say, there is some thing new every time in the whole process to keep thing enlightened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dustshoe004.jpg   Dustshoe002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Blisswoodshop View Post
    Any how, I made my first dust shoe.
    Other than the friction lock features you mentioned - that looks really good! Yeah, the lower frame should be big enough that you can support a fairly wide range of router/spindle sized upper frames and maintain compatibility. I like that as it cuts down on how many lower frames we need to keep around (some with different brush lengths).

Good work!

-Nathan