585,954 active members*
4,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > need help, driver to BoB wiring

need help, driver to BoB wiring

I was thinking that a breakout board usually has 4 connectors for each axis like some others I'v seen. The one I'm trying to connect ( ya, its from China) dosent have one marked cp- or cw-. Does each axis cp- & cw- have to be connected to specific pin number or what. The only other option s to use a BOB that is compatible with the UC100 and mach3 for my continuing conversion of my Shoptask mill from Centroid to MACH3 . I will attach a photo, hope someone can help! THANKS

Re: need help, driver to BoB wiring

Ok since nobody here will help you out. I have this exact setup. First you need to get a grounding bar from home depot or lowes Shop Square D Load Center Ground Bar Kit at Lowes.com or something similar
    P2 and P3 are for X axis
    P4 and P5 are for Y axis
    P6 and P7 are for Z axis
    P2 goes to PUL- P3 goes to DIR-
    P4 goes to PUL- P5 goes to DIR-
    P6 goes to PUL- P7 goes to DIR-
    ENBL+ DIR+ PUL+ all go to the grounding bar.
    1 wire on the breakout board on the opposite end (right end last screw) of P2 will go to the grounding bar.
    Then go to your mach3 setting for each axis. Not to bad to do just time consuming. If your still having troubles IM me or post on here. I did separate power supplies for each axis and separate microstep drives for each axis. I am posting a couple pictures of my setup.
    I'm just wondering where smallblock and JTJT are to answer these questions they seem to be the pros in here.Attachment 330866Attachment 330862Attachment 330864

- - - Updated - - -

Ok since nobody here will help you out. I have this exact setup. First you need to get a grounding bar from home depot or lowes http://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Load-Center-Ground-Bar-Kit/3364860 or something similar
    P2 and P3 are for X axis
    P4 and P5 are for Y axis
    P6 and P7 are for Z axis
    P2 goes to PUL- P3 goes to DIR-
    P4 goes to PUL- P5 goes to DIR-
    P6 goes to PUL- P7 goes to DIR-
    ENBL+ DIR+ PUL+ all go to the grounding bar.
    1 wire on the breakout board on the opposite end (right end last screw) of P2 will go to the grounding bar.
    Then go to your mach3 setting for each axis. Not to bad to do just time consuming. If your still having troubles IM me or post on here. I did separate power supplies for each axis and separate microstep drives for each axis. I am posting a couple pictures of my setup.
    I'm just wondering where smallblock and JTJT are to answer these questions they seem to be the pros in here.Attachment 330866Attachment 330862Attachment 330864

CAD,
    If you have a Shoptask with a Centroid controller, that has to be one of our very earliest CNC machines from the 80's. In those early days Centroid was one of the few companies offering a small CNC system. PM me with the machine serial # or original owner name and we can look up the file. Centroid went on to concentrate on larger systems, and we went with another supplier in the early 90's. It looks like you are trying to convert it using one of those Chinese made systems they sell on E-Bay. We have no experience with those and we use Gecko drives only. However, you will probably find others on this forum with plenty of experience to help you.

Good morning, the serial no. is 6515, I believe that this mill was used in teaching CNC at New Mexico State University. I have replaced all the bearings. Yes, I'm trying to cut costs in revamping the mill for my enjoyment and in development of a potential patent licensing for peghookstaple.com. If the less costly approach does not work, I will proceed till I get the results that are necessary. I did jog the mill with original equipment but was lacking some of it also, could not run g code, no monitor and whatever else was required to do so. I am using Mach3 and UC100 controller and in the process of wiring it up. Thanks a lot for your input, I'm sure I will have a lot questions in the future.

thanks again, So the grounding bar is a means of connecting 9 wires to a single connector on the BoB (I'm using only 3 axis now), but not actually grounded ?? Right?

Some more questions: On your photo of BOB, Is the USB connected up too?. On the driver,there is no wire connected to enbl- right?. The 3 wires enbl+, dir+, & pul+ are actually grounded along with the +5v. right? My system will run 48V power supply for 7Amp max bi polar steppers, will an HY-DIV268N-5V handle this, if not, do you have any suggestions thanks a lot. Cad

Yes the USB is connected. It is just for the 5V power. Yes no wire on the enbl-. Yes the 3 wires are to the ground block. What I did was kept each axis together in sequence on the grounding block. I am not familiar with the HY-DIV268N-5V. I would assume it would be.

02, I did change up a few things, bought 3 gecko 203v drivers. will attach diagram , if you could take a Attachment 333000quick look to see if I got it right, (why are all the abbreviations on drivers all different ??) not sure if photo attached !