584,837 active members*
5,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Leadshine > Leadshine MX4660, UC100 CNC motion controller, Mach3 and a touch probe = problem

Leadshine MX4660, UC100 CNC motion controller, Mach3 and a touch probe = problem

Hello all,

I am running a CNC router equipped with a leadshine MX4660, UC100-
    CNC USB motion controller and Mach3. So far for a couple of month everything runs more or less OK. Now I tried to install a probe to automatically zero the tool. The probe is from cncrouterparts but basically no different to the other probes used. A piece of aluminum with a two conductor wire and a little clamp.
    It is hooked up to INPUT 4 and GROUND on the MX4660. In Mach3 I am using Port1 and Pin 13 as pointed out in the leadshine manual. I used the script provided on the website of cncrouterparts.

The script works nicely. If I push the "Auto tool zero" button the Z axis moves down slowly.... but .... didn't stop when hitting the probe. So I started investigating, the probe seems to be OK I tested it with a multimeter just to make sure, there can't be a lot wrong with such a probe anyhow. I tested my connections to the leadshine controller and they were OK. I looked at the UC100 IN/OUT monitor and the concerning point was that nothing was lighten up when I touched the probe with the little clamp.
    As you can see in the picture, the "Probe" lights up in the moment the Auto Zero buttion is pushed, but the movement of the Z axis doesn't stop when the tool hits the probe.
    So I am kinda puzzled what else could be the problem, I am kinda concerned that either the controller or the UC100 has a problem but that will be hard to find out.
    Currently I think about an new motion controller.

I checked my wiring almost a gazillion times.
    According to manufacturer recommendations the black wire, which is connected to the clip, should be attached to GROUND at the controller and the red wire should go to INPUT4. INPUT4 is connected to PIN13 and PIN13 is also set in the Mach3 "Probe" settings. I choosed PIN13 according to the MX4660 manual, if I choose another pin Mach3 shows the following "Probe ignore, activated at call for probe", this message also comes up if I flip the "active low" setting. If I choose another INPUT e.g. INPUT3 with the appropriate PIN, nothing happen.
    As I said, I checked the wires and connections of the touch plate with a multimeter and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Here is a video of the touch plate...

https://youtu.be/P2qEzoecHUE

When I was looking around to find the problem I realized something that I find strange, but might be normal.

The UC100 monitor shows PIN13 constantly light up in yellow and also the PINs for the proximity sensors. I would assume that these lights should come up if there is "activity" and be off if there is none. PIN15 is connected to the E-Stop, so I hit the E-Stop button and the little square light up in yellow, if I release the E-Stop button the light goes off. If I activate one of the proximity sensors with a piece of metal, the light at the sensor goes on but nothing happen to the little square behind the according PIN number, they all remain constant yellow. They more I think about that I would assume that this is not right.
    PIN13 also light up if nothing is connected, same with the PIN 10, 11, and 12, disconnecting the proximity sensors changed nothing, they stay ON, means the little square remains yellow. Even disconnecting the UC100 from the controller is not doing anything, the yellow lights for PIN 10 to 13 remain on .

I appreciate any input and help

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Leadshine MX4660, UC100 CNC motion controller, Mach3 and a touch probe = problem

It's easy to find out if it is the controller or the UC100.
    Disconnect your MX4660 from the UC100 and connect a small piece of wire between the input pin of the UC100 and the ground (pins 18 to 25.) and check if the inputs trigger.
    If they do then the UC100 input is OK.

Re: Leadshine MX4660, UC100 CNC motion controller, Mach3 and a touch probe = problem

And those little square LEDs on the inputs light when no connection made to the inputs, because they are active low just like they are on a printer port, they go grey when you pull the input to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    It's easy to find out if it is the controller or the UC100.
    Disconnect your MX4660 from the UC100 and connect a small piece of wire between the input pin of the UC100 and the ground (pins 18 to 25.) and check if the inputs trigger.
    If they do then the UC100 input is OK.
    OK... thank you for your help!
    You are absolutely correct, it was easy and it seems that the UC100 is doing what he is supposed to do. I checked all INPUT pins from 10 - 13 and they all seem to work.

That leaves me with the question how to check the controller, but what else could it be??

Chris

I think debugging the MX4660 will be the harder part, but at least the issue is now localised to that device.
    First of all I would check the users manual of the device again to see if the connections you made to the MX are really OK?
    Maybe it is just some misconnections. If all is connected properly then I would make some measurements,
    I would sure remove the cover from the controller to see the circuit and measure from the inputs forward as the signal goes.
    This could become a problem if the drive is in warranty, as opening it up might void the warranty, so after the connection check probably the best option you have is contacting the manufacturer of the MX drive to see what they will advice.

I used INPUT4 and GROUND combined with PIN13 since this is the pin that is assigned to INPUT4 in the manual, given that I understand the manual correctly.
    However the other INPUT 1-3 are my proximity switches and they are working, so why should INPUT4 be defective.... I am not so sure as I initially was that my wiring is really correct, but the info is from another thread here and their way of wiring the touch plate to the MX4660 was obviously succesful. I think the only difference was that they were using and Ethernet smooth stepper. Could that make the difference?

If inputs 1-3 are working with your proximity switches but input 4. does not work with your probe then a very good test would be trying to trigger input 4. with your proximity switches, because they are known to be working with the other inputs,
    so if they don't trigger input 4. then input 4. has a problem in the MX drive and if it triggers input 4. also then the issue is with the probe sensor.

Sorry for my late response here.
    I think your suggestions were, what brought me in the right direction. Looking closer to input4 and the manual again I figured that there is no power...I found another thread on the XZero forum where somebody showed his way to wire proximity switches. Long story short, you have to bridge power from +V12 Vdc out to the optocoupler, then it works.
    Easy ... HaHaHa...

Anyhow problem solved, thanks for your input and help!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotarix View Post
    Sorry for my late response here.
    I think your suggestions were, what brought me in the right direction. Looking closer to input4 and the manual again I figured that there is no power...I found another thread on the XZero forum where somebody showed his way to wire proximity switches. Long story short, you have to bridge power from +V12 Vdc out to the optocoupler, then it works.
    Easy ... HaHaHa...

Anyhow problem solved, thanks for your input and help!
    I just got a machine with an mx4660 and am about to wire proximity switches and a touchplate. I am now as confused as you were at the start of this thread. Any way you can snap a photo of your wiring job for the switches and touch plate? I get the concept of what I'm supposed to do, but I am brand new to CNC and am a bit intimidated by the process. Thank you! This thread has been very helpful.