585,557 active members*
3,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G31 Probing and SafeMode

Hi All, I am testing a new mode for UCcnc G31 probing called safe mode. It is a Mode where IF you have a probe loaded and are jogging around and IF you accidently strike something with teh probe UCcnc will auto STOP to help protect teh probe from damage. The Big Guys (Fanuc,Haas,etc) have it and NOW so does UCcnc.

It works when you are NOT in G31 mode (probing). This also works for when you are doing a probing routine and are rapiding to the next probe point AND you strike a fixture or made a mistake in your routing of teh probe path and hit teh part.

You can also turn it on and off when needed.

(;-) TP

Re: G31 Probing and SafeMode

Sounds good, but what happens if you've got noise issues?

Or are using the probe for ohmic and floating head inputs?

(to be fair, my ohmic and floating head have eletro-mechanical relays to posstivly break input when touchoff is not underway (more for the ohmic, in case I've got muck in the cap, so the macro tests the input at the start of the macro and if any inputs are active and then ignores their input, and once the probe touches, the macro tests to see which input is active to apply the correct offset (ohmic or floating head)).

When I was using my old hypertherm PMX 350 with 8 prox sensors (--X, ++X, --Y1, ++Y1, --Y2, ++Y2, --Z, ++Z), they worked great.
    Now using a hypertherm PMX45.... the limit switches are not happy and trigger when the torch fires.
    Easy solution .... disable them ... (I may one day get around to figuring out a solution, but not today).
    Must admit that 7 prox sensors are on one input.... and one on it's own, hence leakage current was an issue and I needed to add some bleed resistors in parrallel to keep the inputs out of the high & low level logic switching bands.... they are running on 24v, and followed this wiring arrangement if anyone is wondering:
    Sensors - Inductive Proximity Sensors

Rob
    (always learning...)

Sounds good, but what happens if you've got noise issues?
    You should fix them.

And as he said, you can turn it on or off.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HI Robert in the case of probing for teh TOM you would NOT be using safe mode and you leave it off. Safe mode is more for doing a probe routine to gather data and you are moving all over the table/part to do so. That is when you normally run into trouble when you are running a probe routine that runs itself and a clamp may be in the way of your routine OR you programed the routine incorrectly and strike teh part accidently. OR you are jogging into the next position to probe and hit something. The most common is jogging in Z (;-) and you forget to turn DOWN the jogging speed and hit teh part or table. Instant broken stylus. I have a box full of them from over the years with Mach3 (;-).

It is NOT for every probing situation (;-) That is why you can turn it ON /OFF and use it when needed.

(;-) TP

TP & Gerry, noted & thanks very much

Rob