584,837 active members*
5,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Configuring Huanyang VFD with air cooled spindle and cheap USB BOB

Configuring Huanyang VFD with air cooled spindle and cheap USB BOB

Hello CNCérs,

This will be my first post here and I am desperately trying to get some advice and experience for you all.

I am currently building my first CNC machine based out of the cheapest parts I could get a hold off from AliExpress. I am jobless right now and basically trying to do something with life and not being cheap here.

I have an air cooled 1,5kw 400hz spindle, a Huanyang HY01D523B 1.5kw VFD and a cheap generic USB BOB (100khz, Model STB4100) that is compatible with Mach3 (picture shown below).

I am at a stage where I am trying to figure out how to wire the VFD with the USB BOB for Spindle control via Mach3.

Attached is a picture of the USB BOB along with a partial wiring diagram showing the necessary connections required as per the seller of the USB BOB:

I am basically struggling to find the equivalents for Start/stop, GND and AVI.

Reading through the VFD manual I can see that there is a VI control circuit terminal and a jumper that needs to be set to the VI(1-2) position. I assume this would be AVI that would be connected to the DAC pin on the BOB..

But I am confused what would be equivalents for GND (the manual explains ACM as the equivalent of GND but then this confuses me if DCM pin on the VFD would have any connection requirements).

I also assume I would have to connect Output 1 (Start/Stop) from the BOB to the FOR pin.

These are all the assumptions and confusions in my mind at this moment.

Does any one have experience configuring this usb BOB with the HY VFD to control the spindle via Mach3?

Thanks in advance for reading even if you do not have any answer. My fingers are crossed.

Re: Configuring Huanyang VFD with air cooled spindle and cheap USB BOB

Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    Hello CNCérs,

This will be my first post here and I am desperately trying to get some advice and experience for you all.

I am currently building my first CNC machine based out of the cheapest parts I could get a hold off from AliExpress. I am jobless right now and basically trying to do something with life and not being cheap here.

I have an air cooled 1,5kw 400hz spindle, a Huanyang HY01D523B 1.5kw VFD and a cheap generic USB BOB (100khz, Model STB4100) that is compatible with Mach3 (picture shown below).

I am at a stage where I am trying to figure out how to wire the VFD with the USB BOB for Spindle control via Mach3.
    I am basically struggling to find the equivalents for Start/stop, GND and AVI.
    Reading through the VFD manual I can see that there is a VI control circuit terminal and a jumper that needs to be set to the VI(1-2) position. I assume this would be AVI that would be connected to the DAC pin on the BOB..
    But I am confused what would be equivalents for GND (the manual explains ACM as the equivalent of GND but then this confuses me if DCM pin on the VFD would have any connection requirements).

I also assume I would have to connect Output 1 (Start/Stop) from the BOB to the FOR pin.

These are all the assumptions and confusions in my mind at this moment.

Does any one have experience configuring this usb BOB with the HY VFD to control the spindle via Mach3?

Thanks in advance for reading even if you do not have any answer. My fingers are crossed.
    What is called the DAC connection, if this is just straight 10V out then that is not going to do you much good , with this setup you need PWM and a Relay for the on off to control the VFD or it would just run at max speed

So you may need a PWM board if this one does not have a PWM output

One is marked Analog Ground the other is Digital Ground, they may well be the same a easy way to check is use your meter Continuity check each to Ground which is the Heat sink of the VFD

WITH POWER OFF

ACM DCM sometimes they are isolated but not always a Continuity check will soon tell you
    Mactec54

Hello Mactec54,

Thanks for your reply.

The BOB supports PWM output and the manual also states that the VFD cant be controlled directly via the BOB.

Here is a link to the manual for your reference on page 12 section 2.6. It gives details as to how to configure Mach3 to control spindle speed but not much details on the nature of the connections or the signals sent to the VFD: www.c-n-c.cz/download/file.php?id=61661

I checked with the supplier of the card and reqested to see if they had any advice and they provided me the following diagram:
    Attachment 331530

They are suggesting to connect the DCM port on the VFD to the DC V- on the BOB.

Does this diagram make any sense? I wonder will this work directly with Mach3 to control the spindle speed.

Else I guess I will have to start figure out the rest of the wiring in the electronics enclosure before I get back to the VFD setup.

Hello Mactec54,

Thanks for your reply.

The BOB supports PWM output and the manual also states that the VFD cant be controlled directly via the BOB.

Here is a link to the manual for your reference on page 12 section 2.6. It gives details as to how to configure Mach3 to control spindle speed but not much details on the nature of the connections or the signals sent to the VFD: www.c-n-c.cz/download/file.php?id=61661

I checked with the supplier of the card and reqested to see if they had any advice and they provided me the following diagram:
    Attachment 331530

They are suggesting to connect the DCM port on the VFD to the DC V- on the BOB.

Does this diagram make any sense? I wonder will this work directly with Mach3 to control the spindle speed.

Else I guess I will have to start figure out the rest of the wiring in the electronics enclosure before I get back to the VFD setup.
    No what they show is the use of a Relay to turn the Spindle on of, the PWM is fine but test that to see that it is working out of Mach3 before you connect it, you want a DC DC solid state Relay, make sure it is Dc input switching and the output is Dc switching also, Ebay has a selection of them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Relay Connection for Spindle On-Off.PNG  
    Mactec54

Hello Mactec54,

Its been almost an year since you tried to guide me on this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its never too late to say thanks. Life simply got in my way, lost my job, moving house, my stuff was all in boxes in storage, and I finally decided to rework this project again. So thanks again for all your help.

On the same note, I managed to finally control the spindle via Mach3. Apparently, the wiring instructions provided by the seller were completely wrong and as you suggested we do need a relay to Start/Stop the spindle via Mach3.

Here is the final info if anyone out there ever stumbles upon the same issue:

First, the wiring details provided by the seller are wrong.

The correct wiring diagram would be something as shown below:

The connection from the USB Motion Card to the HY VFD are as follows:

For Spinde speed control via Mach3:
    DAC ---> VI
    COM ---> ACM

For Spindle start/stop via Mach3:
    O1 & V+ ---> Input Mechanical Relay (With Diode 1n4007 as shown)
    Output Mechanical Relay ---> DCM & FOR

You will also need to ensure the J1 jumper is set to position 1-2 to enable VI mode for speed control.

Please note:

A Solid State DC/DC Relay does not work directly as the relay remains energized after sending spindle stop command from Mach3 even though there is no more signal via the O1 & DAC pins. You will need to use an electro-mechanical relay for the spindle to start/stop via Mach3 properly.

Electro-mechanical relays are very easy to find in any Automotive parts store, I just used a Bosch 12V 30A mini relay such as the one shown below and it only cost me like US$3.

The above will work perfect assuming you have setup your VFD spindle parameter according to your spindle specification and have also implemented the following:

PD001=1
    PD002=1
    PD070=0
    PD044=1

Thanks again.

kafie1980
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bosch-original-genuine-part-5-pin-12v-30a-mini-relay-0332019150-doinfinity-1505-06-doinfinity@11.jpg  

Hello Mactec54,

Its been almost an year since you tried to guide me on this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its never too late to say thanks. Life simply got in my way, lost my job, moving house, my stuff was all in boxes in storage, and I finally decided to rework this project again. So thanks again for all your help.

On the same note, I managed to finally control the spindle via Mach3. Apparently, the wiring instructions provided by the seller were completely wrong and as you suggested we do need a relay to Start/Stop the spindle via Mach3.

Here is the final info if anyone out there ever stumbles upon the same issue:

First, the wiring details provided by the seller are wrong.

The correct wiring diagram would be something as shown below:

The connection from the USB Motion Card to the HY VFD are as follows:

For Spinde speed control via Mach3:
    DAC ---> VI
    COM ---> ACM

For Spindle start/stop via Mach3:
    O1 & V+ ---> Input Mechanical Relay (With Diode 1n4007 as shown)
    Output Mechanical Relay ---> DCM & FOR

You will also need to ensure the J1 jumper is set to position 1-2 to enable VI mode for speed control.

Please note:

A Solid State DC/DC Relay does not work directly as the relay remains energized after sending spindle stop command from Mach3 even though there is no more signal via the O1 & DAC pins. You will need to use an electro-mechanical relay for the spindle to start/stop via Mach3 properly.

Electro-mechanical relays are very easy to find in any Automotive parts store, I just used a Bosch 12V 30A mini relay such as the one shown below and it only cost me like US$3.

The above will work perfect assuming you have setup your VFD spindle parameter according to your spindle specification and have also implemented the following:

PD001=1
    PD002=1
    PD070=0
    PD044=1

Thanks again.

kafie1980
    Glad you posted, the same thing comes up all the time, a simple Relay is all that is needed most of the time, when the Breakout Board does not have one

The solid state Relay works because I have used them for this and never had that problem, just have to get the right one, but a regular relay will work just as well for this operation the way you have installed it
    Mactec54

ckevin0428 Guest

thank you for your knowledge and share it

Do a little research on the Huanyang Plugin. All you need then is a very simple 2 wire connection and a cheap ($5) USB to RS485 converter from ebay or amazon.
    It allows control of the spindle start, stop and RPM via gcode with Mach or UCCNC. It may allow you to do everything you need to a lot easier and cheaper..

Hi EveryoneI have a BL-UsbMach-V2.1 and a huanyang HY series HY02D223B. I just want to connect the FOR and DCM (spindle On/Off) and the VI and the ACM (spindle speed control) from the VFD to my Mach3 usb interface BL-UsbMach-V2.1. I understand where to connect the FOR and VI. However, I don't know where to connect the DCM and ACM. I have attached a photo of my breakout board and my VFD. If someone can help me that would be great.

Thx
    Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BL-UsbMach3 5 Interface board.jpg   Huanyang HY series HY02D223B.jpg