585,741 active members*
5,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help measuring latency and jitter

I have a Stepcraft 2-600, a UC100 parallel-to-USB converter, and UCCNC running under Win10 on a MacBook Pro (bootcamp not Parallels). I designed a small project (a 4" coaster) that came out at a bit over 3.5". Everything was shrunk. How do I measure latency and jitter on my system? I've seen some posts of those that have done this on Linux and also using a feature in Mach3, but I can't find how to do this either on Win10 or in UCCNC. Any help would be appreciated as I'm at a loss on what the problem is. I'm did the design in VCarve Pro, but too many folks use this program to have that to be the problem. I use VCarves Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) postprocessor which is what others with a Stepcraft and UCCNC all use.

Re: Help measuring latency and jitter

Quote Originally Posted by loesch View Post
    I have a Stepcraft 2-600, a UC100 parallel-to-USB converter, and UCCNC running under Win10 on a MacBook Pro (bootcamp not Parallels). I designed a small project (a 4" coaster) that came out at a bit over 3.5". Everything was shrunk. How do I measure latency and jitter on my system? I've seen some posts of those that have done this on Linux and also using a feature in Mach3, but I can't find how to do this either on Win10 or in UCCNC. Any help would be appreciated as I'm at a loss on what the problem is. I'm did the design in VCarve Pro, but too many folks use this program to have that to be the problem. I use VCarves Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) postprocessor which is what others with a Stepcraft and UCCNC all use.
    I think you mistaken of terms latency and jitter with axis resolutions and movement distances.
    There is no jitter and latency measurement in UCCNC.
    The latency means how fast your motion controller can communicate with your LPT port.
    There is no LPT port in UCCNC. unlike with Mach3 and linuxcnc the motion is generated not on your computer, but on an external device.

Jitter means how much the control pulses differs from optimal, again no need to measure that,
    because they are generated not by the computer.

If your workpiece came out shrinked then you should check 2 things:

1.) Check if your steps per unit is defined correctly in the UCCNC.
    You can check this with moving your axis a known distance and measure how much it traveled,
    if it moved more or less than you commanded then adjust your steps per value.
    Do this until the distance you move will be the same you measure.

2.) Check your g-code program, the path size the CAM program output.
    The easiest way is to create a very simple object, for example a single square shape.
    Check the size of that object in your g-code.
    Because you defined that square to a known size it should have the same size in your g-code, you can verify it easily.
    If it is not output the same size then there is a problem in your post processor or your units settings in your CAM,
    adjust it to get the correct size output in g-code.