585,744 active members*
5,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Looking for a CNC Router to cut Hard Maple- Where to start?

Looking for a CNC Router to cut Hard Maple- Where to start?

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a CNC Router for cutting hard maple very effectively.

However, when I search online there doesn't seem to be much information on what type of CNC machine and Router I should buy for my specfic job, and what the requirements are for cutting hard Maple. I dont want to overpay for a machine, or underpay and have it not cut decently!

I was hoping you could clarify the minimum requirements for a CNC Router that I should get for this job and explain why it is good for cutting 1" thick hard maple. Any recommendations on brands/ price range/ past experiences would be great.

After doing some online research, it seems like I want to approach my cuts with a
    1/2" or 3/8" long router head
    1/4" cut depth
    roughly 120 IPM
    10K-12K RPM

Is it as simple as just finding a machine and router that fits into these requirements? The base size isn't really a factor, nothing too big.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read or help!

Re: Looking for a CNC Router to cut Hard Maple- Where to start?

"Cutting hard maple" does not really define what you're requirements are. And does not tell us what your "specific job" is.

After doing some online research, it seems like I want to approach my cuts with a
    1/2" or 3/8" long router head
    1/4" cut depth
    roughly 120 IPM
    10K-12K RPM
    These are pretty low specs, and can be done by most machines. Lower end machines might need to take shallower cuts, and maybe slightly lower speeds, but any machine can cut maple.

I don't want to overpay for a machine, or underpay and have it not cut decently!
    The issue here is that only you can determine if the cut quality is "decent" enough for your needs.
    And unless you can tell us what performance level your looking to achieve, and what you're budget is, then it's impossible to recommend a machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sigh....if only these guys with high hopes posted their BUDGETS up front as that is the determining factor on any piece of machinery..........you can buy a piece of sh!t for a dollar but for a million bucks you can get it gold plated.

Budget, work envelope, fixed or moving gantry and your control system preference would get a lot more replies......also remember that the machine.....whatever..... is only the thin end of the wedge.....the tooling and other peripherals are the money drain.....if you've ever owned a late model BMW you'll know what I mean by money drain.

BTW.....Maple is just wood, try Jarrah or Red Gum.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    "Cutting hard maple" does not really define what you're requirements are. And does not tell us what your "specific job" is.

These are pretty low specs, and can be done by most machines. Lower end machines might need to take shallower cuts, and maybe slightly lower speeds, but any machine can cut maple.

The issue here is that only you can determine if the cut quality is "decent" enough for your needs.
    And unless you can tell us what performance level your looking to achieve, and what you're budget is, then it's impossible to recommend a machine.

Hi Gerry, thanks for your help.

I'm planning to make a baby toy set for my nephew, and the maple I am cutting is going to be 1" deep. There are six shapes whose length and width are 1.5" x 1.5" (circle, square, triangle, things like that).

The thing is, the cuts need to be safe enough for a baby to play with. The finish has to be nice and smooth, no hard edges, etc. Once I buy the machine, I will be testing the specs to get the best quality cut.

My budget is from $2k-$5k, I don't want an expensive machine because I wanted to start small and hopefully work my way up, as opposed to buying a more expensive one up front.

I know this is a CNC forum, but why spend that kind of money to make one toy? Why not use common shop tools, a drill press, band saw, sander, etc.? I am sure you can make whatever you have in mind without plunking down $5K for a cnc machine to accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jones View Post
    I know this is a CNC forum, but why spend that kind of money to make one toy? Why not use common shop tools, a drill press, band saw, sander, etc.? I am sure you can make whatever you have in mind without plunking down $5K for a cnc machine to accomplish it.

Hey Joe,

I plan on using it to CnC a lot in the future, not just for this one project.

This project should be my "toughest" job, however, so I wanted to get a machine that could handle it

Trust me, I dont plan on paying 5 grand for a baby toy, lol!

If you're cutting these simple shapes out of maple, you're still going to want to sand them a bit before handing them to a baby. Rounding the corners with a router bit would be advisable as well. Cutting them out of a board usually requires some "bridges" so they don't fly around after being cut loose. When the machine is finished, you cut these off and clean up the stubs by hand. Also, 1.5" is too small for a baby toy - I'd make them big enough, like twice as big - so there's absolutely no possibility of the kid choking on them - you'd be surprised what babies will try to swallow.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi.....I think we're looking at a 6040 type CNC router as an all rounder wood, soft materials machine and for that size work envelope you'd be able to cut cupboard doors too........ball park figure around 2 grand, plus some more for cutters etc.

If you go conservative and get a 3040.....under a grand on EBAY........ you will have a work envelope of 300 X 400....even that CNC router made from aluminium is a big toy maker, something like parts for a dolls house etc.

BTW......ALL kids chew their toys and if you have dogs they'll chew them too....don't ask me how I know........a good heavy duty varnish is better than a paint job and goes on easier too.

For toys that can get chewed, any hardwood is the worst material as it produces splinters that can penetrate the intestines........soft woods like pine are the ideal......and taste better......but be aware that all woods on sale are treated with some chemical or other so chewing is not a good idea.......inhaling any wood dust is also a carcinogenic source too.....trees produce toxins to protect against borer insects......keep the hardwoods for making decorative objects like house signs, plaques Jewel boxes (for you know who) and desk top items etc.

At the end of the day, most kids after 2 years old don't play with wooden toys anymore.......perhaps you will then gravitate onto making wooden ship models that sell and are good pastimes to justify the outlay to SWMBO.
    Ian.

The maple I've worked with is hard and cohesive enough that it's difficult to believe an infant would be able to splinter it. If a dog was helping, more progress might be made, though. Pine is a lot easier to splinter, and its splinters would penetrate intestines just as well. Maple is generally considered non-toxic; after all that's where maple syrup comes from. A varnish would not improve its hardness much, and could make it more toxic. Beeswax might be a better surface treatment.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

going the old school way for a coating is safer beeswax or any natural wax or oil is safe if you can cook with it or put it on your skin it good. my kids liked to chew on anything so any furniture I made was done with food safe coatings.

maple when dry is hard lookup USFS web site they test everything to do with forests
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hi, after cnc router cut, you might be aslo need some polish work, my baby bed is covered with a u shape material that he can be bite 😄,maybe can bring u some idea.

Chencan cnc router from 1998.
    skype marylee0411