584,814 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > questions about tools needed for I.C. engines?

questions about tools needed for I.C. engines?

SO, i'm pretty close to buying my first lathe.

I'll be getting a taig lathe since it's cheap. But I'm curious as to how much I could make with just a lathe, and a manual one at that? I will mostly likely get the mill too but at a later date.

One project I'm consdering is taking a small rc gas engine and making it a 2 + cylinder.

Ideally it would be really awesome to make some r/c car parts but my dream would be to buld something like that ferrari v12 or a v8 from one of these other threads...

Re: questions about tools needed for I.C. engines?

You could pull off some single or 2 cylinder engines but for a 8 or 12 cylinder you are going to want that milling machine. Not that i cant be done, just would make it much more time consuming with all the setup.

But even just a manual mlll? Or is there just a point that I have to go cnc?

Bob Shutt built a copy of my V8 with manual mill and lathe. Some of the parts were not as ornate as originally designed but it still looks real good.

I have a dovetail Z axis manual drill mill and put a digital read out on the X axis and Z axis works well built all my cnc parts with it also on the lathe I put the 4 jaw in and surface plate and bore it accurately there are ways around it ,I guess for me that is the fun part .