585,733 active members*
4,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FAILED TO START

I have just wired up my new Super-PID for basic operation and get a Failed to Start error when I switch on run.

The router does not start to rotate at all.

I remove the router from the PID and plugged it into mains power.
    I switched on run and the router at the same time to verify everything else is working.
    That is, I get speed feed back info OK.

I have sent an email to Val and in the interim of waiting for a reply, submitted this post.

Any thoughts?

THANKS

Daryl

Re: FAILED TO START

I've been using a Super PID for a couple of years now, problem free.

What router are you using with it? A couple of pictures may help.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. The router is a Makita RT0700C. Happy to post pics. What would you like?

Cheers

This Makita router has a built in speed controller. Have you removed or disabled it?

Picture wise:
    How about the speed feedback sensor on the router.

Hi Rick, Yes I have removed the speed controller and the feed back sensor is working. The router does not even start to rotate so the feed back loop is not in play. (Least I think not)

I have also tested the sensor as it reads the speed on the PID when I fudge the whole setup by manually starting the router plugged into mains power (not getting power from PID) and switching on the PID run button.

I have been sitting here pondering where to next.......I have a plan wire another power tool into the PID and see if it starts that. Thinking it may just be a start issue with the router.

Still looking for ideas.....I will post a couple of pics of the setup later.

Hi Daryl

When you say the feed back sensor is working, I am assuming that you have manually turned the router shaft and can see the bar graph move from a few line segments to almost filling the the display with line segments?

Have you just tried plugging the router into an outlet and seeing if it will run?

Hi Rick,

Yep I plugged the router into an outlet with the speed sensor still being monitored by the PID so could read the shaft speed.

I tried my plan B and plugged another power tool into the PID and it ran fine. This pointed the problem to the actual router.

I then pulled the router apart and removed the 0.22uF capacitor.......BINGO it now works. I must have not read the instructions properly.

Rick I want to THANK you for your efforts in helping me solve my problem.........MUCH APPRECIATED.

Cheers

Daryl

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

The Super PID is an amazing addition to a DIY CNC. The way I have mine set makes it totally transparent when I'm using the router. I specify the router speed in the CAM (CamBam, by the way) and that is the only time I think about the router (spindle). When I press "Cycle Start", the router starts and goes to the speed that was specified in the CAM and at the end of the cycle, the router stops. Couldn't be more simple.

Hi Rick,

Yep I love it. I've been running it for several hours doing some carving. I have mine set up for manual switching. I'm running it on wood at 16000RPM and it is so much quieter at this speed. Also, a benefit I didn't think of is that at lower speeds the chips do not get spread over such a large area as the router fan is running slower and not blowing stuff everywhere. I run Vectric Aspire -> Picsender. My CNC is Arduino based home built.

Glad to hear that you resolved the problem. I have yet to install my PID in conjunction with my Makita RF1100 and hope it goes smoothly.

Paul